Is A Compact Worth it?

Emporio

Apr 12, 2015
Singapore
Hey Guys, Im very new to this forum and I know a bit about photography. Im particularly interested in Astrophotography and Product Photography. That aside, I have an Olympus E3 with a standard lens and a 70-300mm Zuiko Lens. Im not a pro in any measure and I understand the basics of photography.

Im currently thinking about getting a Sony RX-100 III. Its mainly for travelling and I still want to take great shots with it. I really dont want to bring a full DSLR along with me especially when im travelling alone. I'm also thinking about getting a tripod that can turn into a monopod like the mefoto roadtrip. (For selfie and nightshot reasons) So this is my rough budget.

I will really appreciate your advice! Or will you recommend a SLR? I really need it to be light and not too much to take care of.

The RX100-III is a very good compact and although it't not really what I'd choose for Astro or product work, as a backup or travel camera it's pretty good. However there are other options - the Canon G7X is better in my opinion.

Neither replaces an SLR or high end mirrorless camera though. For astrophotography I'd recommend the Canon 6D as the balance between price and ability. The Sony A7ii is pretty hot as well. I would normally suggest getting a compact as a backup for one of these main cameras though. If size & weight is more important than the lenses and slight quality improvement from an SLR then the new Sony A7ii is probably the best option. Personally I find mirrorless cameras a little too small and it makes them trickier to handle, though I have big hands and prefer the balance and build quality of an SLR :)

Anyway... I've reviewed both the RCX100-III and the G7X on my site and I did a comparison between the two here - http://davidcandlish.photography/articles/head-to-head-rx100-3-vs-g7x/

Check it out and let me know what you think, or drop me a PM if you want to discuss!

Last edited:
Hey Guys, Im very new to this forum and I know a bit about photography. Im particularly interested in Astrophotography and Product Photography. That aside, I have an Olympus E3 with a standard lens and a 70-300mm Zuiko Lens. Im not a pro in any measure and I understand the basics of photography.

Im currently thinking about getting a Sony RX-100 III. Its mainly for travelling and I still want to take great shots with it. I really dont want to bring a full DSLR along with me especially when im travelling alone. I'm also thinking about getting a tripod that can turn into a monopod like the mefoto roadtrip. (For selfie and nightshot reasons) So this is my rough budget.

I will really appreciate your advice! Or will you recommend a SLR? I really need it to be light and not too much to take care of.

Sounds like a good idea, can also consider davidc34's suggestion of the Canon G7X, or the Panasonic LX100 at a slightly higher budget. These are generally pocketable, and paired with a tripod probably can do most stuff. Just need to know the limitations of your system and work around them, most importantly to enjoy your trip! :)

I've heard good things about the LX100 but not had an opportunity to review yet, definitely worth considering!

I've not owned a compact camera since the S100 and the difference in capability compared to new models is astonishing

Modern Compact cameras are bad to the bone. Pick your poison. Since you already have Olympus maybe look at their offerings too? :think:

I agree looking around is a good idea but disagree about Olympus (not a fan personally).

The good thing about compacts is there is no need to stay brand-loyal, compacts are a self contained package! So don't feel constrained with Olympus :)

Last edited: