Status
Not open for further replies.

backlash

May 6, 2008
satayphotoblog.blogspot.com
I have the following lens for my D40.

1. AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II
2. AF 50mm f/1.8D

I m thinking of getting the AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED for a basic set-up.

Is it recommended ? Please advise

Thanks

most people would probably say yes

its a decent lens, and the price is quite reasonable. however, you really have to think of what you want to shoot with the lens.

when i just started photography, i was always looking for longer focal lengths. but now i dont really use them a lot, so my tele lenses are underused.

so think about it - if you mostly shoot portraits/landscapes you might want to think about getting another lens

Why not?
It's a good cheap telephoto zoom with VR.

most people would probably say yes

its a decent lens, and the price is quite reasonable. however, you really have to think of what you want to shoot with the lens.

when i just started photography, i was always looking for longer focal lengths. but now i dont really use them a lot, so my tele lenses are underused.

so think about it - if you mostly shoot portraits/landscapes you might want to think about getting another lens

What compel me to consider this lens is becasue of the shots I took at the zoo... kit lens is good for capturing but there is a limit to zoom.

Sad ....

I think you'll need 300mm for zoo shots.
70-300VR is a good choice.

2. AF 50mm f/1.8D

I m thinking of getting the AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED for a basic set-up.

For nikon consumer afs, the VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6 is :thumbsup:

value for money :thumbsup:

if more money have u, the afs vr 70-300mm better but it'ss too much money 4me

am happy for u...

u know, not long ago, if u ask this sort of question, u will get feedbacks like...

(a) can't u use search function... some even include the link
(b) if u don't know, u don't need it
(c) people behind viewfinder;
(d) many more

now u have 7 answers to your point

behold the good times for noobs like us again; bravio :thumbsup:

55-200mm VR is a great piece of glass. sharp, contrasty, and has VR! i was like you once, thinking i must get this lens to complete my set up. but slowly i realised i only used it.. at the most 3 times?

ended up selling it off and getting the tamron 90mm macro!

so at the end of the day, its what you shoot that defines your gear. not the other way round.

What compel me to consider this lens is becasue of the shots I took at the zoo... kit lens is good for capturing but there is a limit to zoom.

Sad ....

well for zoo shots, i believe even 200mm cannot cover everything. a lot of photographers use over 500mm to shoot zoo photos.

if you are planning to go back to the zoo, or do similar shots (birds, sports, etc.), this lens would be a good start to ur telephoto lens collection

i suggest you try and borrow this lens, or even just using a 200mm lens before you make your purchase. it will help you see what 200mm is like, and what you can do with it

The AFS 70-300mm VR gives you more reach (of course) compared to the AFS 55-200mm VR; amongst the consumer zooms offered by Nikon. It's VR (although not a replacement for fast lens) is also of the second generation as compared to the shorter zoom. It's about 2-3x the price though.

2. AF 50mm f/1.8D

Thanks

Yes. I had the same feel. If the TS post here, I suppose he/she has more (specific) equipment quesions and knowledge (as well) ... thus should have done some basic research, etc.

Totally agree with you though if TS post in the newbie forum though.

2. AF 50mm f/1.8D

For nikon consumer afs, the VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6 is :thumbsup:

value for money :thumbsup:

if more money have u, the afs vr 70-300mm better but it'ss too much money 4me

am happy for u...

u know, not long ago, if u ask this sort of question, u will get feedbacks like...

(a) can't u use search function... some even include the link
(b) if u don't know, u don't need it
(c) people behind viewfinder;
(d) many more

now u have 7 answers to your point

behold the good times for noobs like us again; bravio :thumbsup:

I've got all three lenses; the 55-200mm, 18-55mm (though VR version), and the 50mm f1.8. Of the three though the one I use the most often is the 18-55mm. The 55-200mm comes on if I'm shooting animals, which is maybe like 5-6 times a year only.

The 55-200mm doesn't give me the entire range even with a cropped sensor and the light through the lens is a little low. But IMO I can still get pretty OK shots from it, and for the asking price it's hard to complain. :)

2. AF 50mm f/1.8D

Thanks

I think what you have to really ask is whether it is suitable for you. Everyone has different shooting needs. If you find that you need a lens with more reach then your kit lens, then the 55-200 is a good buy; otherwise, it'll end up unused and gathering dust at home.

No matter how cheap a lens is, it is still money spent, and if the lens you buy is really not a need, then it is not money spent wisely.

I've got all three lenses; the 55-200mm, 18-55mm (though VR version), and the 50mm f1.8. Of the three though the one I use the most often is the 18-55mm. The 55-200mm comes on if I'm shooting animals, which is maybe like 5-6 times a year only.

The 55-200mm doesn't give me the entire range even with a cropped sensor and the light through the lens is a little low. But IMO I can still get pretty OK shots from it, and for the asking price it's hard to complain. :)

Thanks for the advise. I will consider the points you mentioned. One of my worries is also the f-stop for this particular lens. But I suppose with good lighting condition, I think good shots are still within reach like you have mentioned.

BTW I m very comfortable with my 50mm f1.8 even though I m doing MF on it. As for my Kit lens(18-55) only under good lighting condition will I use it. ( No money to buy Flash )

I think what you have to really ask is whether it is suitable for you. Everyone has different shooting needs. If you find that you need a lens with more reach then your kit lens, then the 55-200 is a good buy; otherwise, it'll end up unused and gathering dust at home.

No matter how cheap a lens is, it is still money spent, and if the lens you buy is really not a need, then it is not money spent wisely.

Point Noted. Thanks for the advise. There is this constant struggle going on. I cannot decide between the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or Nikor 55-200. The Zoo trip made me realized that I need lens for both low light condition and Zoom shots. B'cos some of the enclosure in the zoo are really dim in lighting and only my 50 mm can do justice to the pictures. My kit lens can only work in broad day light even at biggest f-stop. And when I m taking pictures of lions and tiger, can only manage a certain amount of zoom on my kit.

I m sure alot of the seniors here would have encounter this problem.

:(

IMO, the Tamron 17-50 won't give you any more additional reach compared to the 18-55mm outside the slightly wider angle, but the F2.8 will help. The Tamron 17-50mm won't help at all if you're thinking about getting closer-ups of animals.

I think it finally comes down to usage. Do you intend to shoot animals semi-frequently, or is it a every 1-2 year thing? If so, and if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't buy the 55-200mm. I'd sooner just rent or borrow one when I need it for the one occasion. And as for the Tamron, IMO, perhaps exhaust the 18-55mm first, and only when you absolutely find the 18-55mm limiting your photographic potential, then pick up the Tamron. Lens lust is a dangerous thing, especially when funds are limited and you're still finding your way.

Just my opinion, as I'm still learning too.:)

Point Noted. Thanks for the advise. There is this constant struggle going on. I cannot decide between the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or Nikor 55-200. The Zoo trip made me realized that I need lens for both low light condition and Zoom shots. B'cos some of the enclosure in the zoo are really dim in lighting and only my 50 mm can do justice to the pictures. My kit lens can only work in broad day light even at biggest f-stop. And when I m taking pictures of lions and tiger, can only manage a certain amount of zoom on my kit.

I m sure alot of the seniors here would have encounter this problem.

:(

IMO, the Tamron 17-50 won't give you any more additional reach compared to the 18-55mm outside the slightly wider angle, but the F2.8 will help. The Tamron 17-50mm won't help at all if you're thinking about getting closer-ups of animals.

I think it finally comes down to usage. Do you intend to shoot animals semi-frequently, or is it a every 1-2 year thing? If so, and if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't buy the 55-200mm. I'd sooner just rent or borrow one when I need it for the one occasion. And as for the Tamron, IMO, perhaps exhaust the 18-55mm first, and only when you absolutely find the 18-55mm limiting your photographic potential, then pick up the Tamron. Lens lust is a dangerous thing, especially when funds are limited and you're still finding your way.

Just my opinion, as I'm still learning too.:)

Thanks for the pointers. I will definitely re-evaluate my options with much consideration now.

Prioritising your needs will help a great deal. The latest post by Wzierbovsky really hit the nail. If you really need the long reach only occasionally, then no point commiting with a purchase. Renting or borrowing will really suffice.

I am also in a similiar situation to you. I sold off my 18-200mm and got myself a 17-55mm f2.8. In addition I have a 50mm f1.8 and a tokina 100mm f2.8 macro. Initially I was looking to replace the 18-200mm with the 17-55mm and another 55-200VR. But after using the 17-55mm for a few weeks and re-evaluating my shooting style (I shoot events, macros, still life more often), I decided I will seldom need the 55-200mm.

Of cos, when going to the zoo or travelling, the telephoto will be extremely helpful but these occasions are pretty rare. So I decided to put the 55-200mm on hold for now till I can justify using it more than 10-15 times a year cos I hate leaving lenses unused in the dry cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.