is 85mm f1.8 redundant w/ 100mm f2.8L ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

efrancis

Apr 18, 2010
Hi All,

currently i have a 550d w/ both 85mm f1.8 and 100mm f2.8L.

I somewhat feel these lens are redundant in terms of portrait.

does there some people have these 2 lenses as well?

appreciate any input.. thanks!

Hi All,

currently i have a 550d w/ both 85mm f1.8 and 100mm f2.8L.

I somewhat feel these lens are redundant in terms of portrait.

does there some people have these 2 lenses as well?

appreciate any input.. thanks!

It doesn't mattery what others think. If you find it is redundant, then sell one of the lenses. It is that simple. What others do have no bearing on your shooting style and your needs.

Thank you for the response...

Up to you if you can see any difference with the photos taken.

Think over things like working distance as well. Even though 100/2.8 is macro, which means you can focus nearer than the 85/1.8, you still need a certain distance to get specific coverage of subjects (eg. head shots : 1.2m (85mm) vs 1.5m (100mm), etc).

Size, weight, portability?

Another is focus speed on a macro lens vs normal lens.

Do you find them to have the same DOF or rather do they produce comparable OOF areas for subject isolation for the same sized subject on the photo?

Last edited:
Up to you if you can see any difference with the photos taken.

Think over things like working distance as well. Even though 100/2.8 is macro, which means you can focus nearer than the 85/1.8, you still need a certain distance to get specific coverage of subjects (eg. head shots : 1.2m (85mm) vs 1.5m (100mm), etc).

Size, weight, portability?

Another is focus speed on a macro lens vs normal lens.

Do you find them to have the same DOF or rather do they produce comparable OOF areas for subject isolation for the same sized subject on the photo?

Thanks for the inputs... sorry for my newbie post.

The weight is acceptable even if the 100mm is 200grams heavier but i find it no issues.

The distance is one factor as you're correct on stating you need to be on a certain distance..

for the DOF and OOF areas, I find the bokeh on 85mm is good.. it does well also in low light.

Thanks for the inputs... sorry for my newbie post.

The weight is acceptable even if the 100mm is 200grams heavier but i find it no issues.

The distance is one factor as you're correct on stating you need to be on a certain distance..

for the DOF and OOF areas, I find the bokeh on 85mm is good.. it does well also in low light.

No problems.
Its a totally valid question.
There is no real answer, just a matter of preference as you can see yourself after thinking over the queries above ;)

No problems.
Its a totally valid question.
There is no real answer, just a matter of preference as you can see yourself after thinking over the queries above ;)

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT - there is no real answer, just decision. Thereafter to live with that decision and get over with it. This is the essence of life.

Thanks all for the responses.. realized it all comes down to my preferences.

closing thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.