is 65buck a rip off for Hoya Pro1-D UV filter 67mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

song

Feb 23, 2002
homex.coolconnect.com
Am i being ripped off??

Btw, what price should i expect for 77mm Pro1-D UV ?

thanks

I dont think so. Pro 1 D filter by hoya are pretty expensive. I have a 82mm one n its labeled abt 120. If you search around the net, they cost pretty much higher compared to normal UV

eh 77mm or 67mm? i got one kenko 67mm from tk... quoted me about 40 bucks ...

nope, you are not rip off.
it's expensive!

But i just got quoted by mscolor on the same hoya Pro1-D filter for 77mm and it is only 55 bucks. how can 67mm filter be more expensive than 77mm. I feel ripped off by alan photo .

I believe its more like a matter of shop pricing. Different shop price the same thing differently everywhere. It may not be a rip off but more like a older pricing. Distros give item at different pricing at different time. So alan photo may just be following a pricing 1 month ago. Then again MSColor may just be undercutting the price. Anyway u sure ms color pro 1 D is only 55? 55 is very cheap if u compare with online prices which is almost double.

But i just got quoted by mscolor on the same hoya Pro1-D filter for 77mm and it is only 55 bucks. how can 67mm filter be more expensive than 77mm. I feel ripped off by alan photo .

I got a feeling it may not be 55 bucks. should be 70-80 range for hoya Pro1-Digital UV 77mm if my memory serve me right.

if protector maybe possible to be at this price. for the UV....hmm

woah $65, top up $15 can get B+W

woah $65, top up $15 can get B+W

???

similar b+w uv-haze slim multi coated cost around 150 leh for 1st hand. top up 15 bucks think only get u 67mm b+w uv-haze mrc.

actually all filters are rips off.

My 67mm B+W MRC UV only cost $78. But i've the 67mm Hoya Pro-1 Digital UV for sale, upgraded to my current B+W. :)

next time, do your research before making purchases. What's the point of asking after you part with your money? :dunno:

Am i being ripped off??

Btw, what price should i expect for 77mm Pro1-D UV ?

thanks

next time, do your research before making purchases. What's the point of asking after you part with your money? :dunno:

thinking of who to give my biz to? i am going to buy a lens. Think i want to give to fairer dealer. That is why i want to double check if AP is ripping me off last time. Cos i narrowed down to AP and mscolor liao. So i am glad that u guys and gals are helping me by providing the info. thanks

by the way, the 77mm Pro1-D is really quoted at 55 by equote. I am forward to you if you pm me your email. thanks

actually all filters are rips off.

haa haa... good one... 2 different school of thoughts...

1. buy a filter to protect the expensive lense.
2. why cover your expensive lense with a cheap piece of glass in front...

to each his own :p i'm still more towards the formal... just buy better filter...

haa haa... good one... 2 different school of thoughts...

1. buy a filter to protect the expensive lense.
2. why cover your expensive lense with a cheap piece of glass in front...

to each his own :p i'm still more towards the formal... just buy better filter...

let us take a metaphor.

growing peanuts is cheap. learning and researching the techniques to grow big and tasty peanuts is also not that expensive. but it is later found that peanuts can treat SARS. so the end retailers start selling S$50 per peanut, which is well affordable, although expensive.

there is no doubt that protective and other filters are important, but the degree of marking up is high.

yes, if you are talking about cost of production of any filter, and you look at the range.. and you examine how much it costs to actually produce a filter.. like in most of photography.. quality comes at an exponential price.

that said, isn't there a blardy price guide somewhere done by ortega? :dunno:

price guide is still dependent on forumer input. so it is up to the conscience of those people who ask about pricing to update it. take some, give some.

Taking an economic point of view,

There is demand for filters.
There is supply of filters.

Demand for excellent filter is higher than demand for normal filter.
Supply of excellent filter is lower than that of normal filter.

So the price of excellent filter is definitely higher than normal filter.

Price wise? is it high?
If there is no supply of excellent filter and you have to manufacture your own, the price will be even higher.

Why the price is high for excellent filter?
Making normal filter requires normal skill. Making excellent filter requires exceptional skill.
If not we will be seeing alot of excellent filter manufacturers in the market already.
(It is likely I can bend 70% like beckham. But I am unlikely to be worth or getting 70% what beckham is getting. More like 7%, because there are alot of people out there who can bend 70% like beckham.)

The margin for filter seem to be high....
This is a capitalism. This is producer's surplus.

0.o no no no let's not drag economics into this. the same is true for almost every market out there..

in any case, a greater number of choices, at different prices, which generally correspond to quality.. makes everyone happy. no?

There is a big price difference between Hoya Pro1 'Protector' and Hoya Pro1 'UV'
Hoya Pro1 UV is much more expensive.
For filters, I stick to Nikon NCs

Also do get the filter size correct - 67 or 77mm

Filter Thread here
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=263716

Status
Not open for further replies.