Is 24mm wide enough for group shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuachong

Aug 18, 2009
Hi, all is 24-70mm / 24-105mm on a 500D wide enough for group shot? Post your opinions.

Yes and no.

All depends on where, how big, how far and what format.

I can do a group shot of 12 persons sitting side by side easily, at the 24mm end of my 24-70mm f/2.8 mounted on my FF 5DMkII, standing about 3m-4m away.
If you use a 1.6x crop camera, the 24mm focal length would be effectively 38.4mm. My opinion is, at this focal length I will need to stand further back to accommodate the same 12 seated persons.
Can certainly be used, these two lenses 24-70mm and 24-205mm. Just with some inconvenience.

Hi, all is 24-70mm / 24-105mm on a 500D wide enough for group shot? Post your opinions.

Depends on how much room you've got... most of the times it should suffice.

Not ideal. U should get something that is wider than 20 mm if u are using 500D. If u are FF, then 24 not much issue.

if got a lot of people, might want to go for a from-the-sky shot.

If not possible then need to pack the people pretty tight.

if u hv space to move backwards to compose ur shots, then ok.
if indoor, might not...

If indoors, most instance 24mm is a no go unless you have alot of walking area within the place itself, its perfectly fine for outdoors.

If FF then should be no prop.

probably not, if it's indoor with many people.
If you're restricted to 24mm, you can try composing the picture from an angle and see if that can squeeze in all the subjects.

TS should explain what is group shot leh.

Most would interpret it as wedding shots.
But 3 people also group shots, army bmt passing out also group shot leh.

Anyway, if camera to subject distance is too close together, be careful the unavoidable optical distortion
at the two sides of the pictures. The wider the lens, (with the same subject image size) the more distorted it will be at the sides.

A group is an assembly of people numbering more than 1. If you ask me, 24mm for 2 people, and 24mm for 24 people, all also can. Depends on space you have, how far you can stand, how they are arranged.

Wide enough for most group shots but not favourable in cramped conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.