is 24-70 2.8 too cheap?

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
been seeing more and more the lens on crop bodies especially for events.

would make sense if full frame body or to complement maybe the 11-16 f2.8 or 10-20 lens.

But have been seeing quite a number use as primary lens on 1.6x crop body.

opinions?

actually in some way you are right.

cheaper dslr because of..

1) newer manufacturing processes?

2) japanese yen becoming weaker/stronger?

3) more modern thus cheaper materials?

4) match competition pricing?

5) different method of QC eg, batch testing rather then one by one?

6) redundant features removed?

7) more hardware functions relegated to software functions?

should be the same for lens i guess...

Last edited:
You could always pay the shop/store extra..... :think:

Totally agree with what you all say. But guess one thing is clear. There is a clear line drawn between a professional user and one who owns a dslr. I have seen many people just use a dslr and use automatic or even just any how snapping away. But on the other perspective, I guess if it comes down to upgrading your exisiting dslr, not sure about the rest. But one will justify the upgrade of lens instead of body as it is a worth while investment :) what the rest thinks ?

actually in some way you are right.

cheap cos too many people have it.

time to get rid of dslrs once and for all, make them a million bucks so that the people using it can feel real exclusive and happy and warm.

Cheap in what way? Less exclusive?

Cheers:)

would make sense if full frame body or to complement maybe the 11-16 f2.8 or 10-20 lens.

opinions?

Sgd strengthening... economy picking up, consumers more spending power and take into account most wan to go FF when they can..make sense to get the FX lens nw.. :)

i don't know why no one wants all lenses for $1 each.

if i could have all lenses for $1 each, it would be great. for one, there'd be no unhappiness in cs B&S

and then people cannot say things like "it is my equipment limiting me...... see, i using kit lens" :bsmilie:

Isn't it a good thing that more people are buying and picking up this hobby?

More sales volume = cheaper body and lenses in the long run

Who cares whether they are manual freaks or auto-pilots, so long one can get good quality lenses for a lower price

Who cares whether they are manual freaks or auto-pilots, so long one can get good quality lenses for a lower price

yes, i benefit, who cares if people are wasting their money...... also their money to waste. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

opinions?
i am one of those ppl who uses a 24-70 f2.8 on a crop body..

i personally like the 70mm end which is a 105mm (35mm equivalent) for portraits.. :)

Ai ya. 24-70/2.8 is just a cxxx lah.
Why not buy Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 35-70mm f2.8 ASPH.

opinions?

The true pro are never concerned about others also using similar equipment. They let their works do the talking. It's always the pro wanabes that need to show their equipment and felt humbled by others using them!;)

opinions?

if it is the focal length that one most often often uses, then I say the 24-70/f2.8 is a very competent zoom.

Btw..... if 24-70mm f2.8 L is cheap.... anyone mind selling one to me now.... very cheaply :bsmilie::bsmilie:

opinions?

Most 24-70s on the market seem to be highly speced/good performers.

There's always something seductive about a 'trinity' 2.8 zoom.

On a FF, it makes the most sense, even though it would be great if something like the 24-105 IS came in a 2.8 version without IQ degradation. On hindsight, it's not necessary, but would be nice. Probably would have to pay a bomb though.

If I were hiring an event photographer, and was told only a 2470 was the primary on a crop body, and no wider lens was going to be used, I would ask, "How are you going to get the wider shots/group shots in tight spaces?"

There's always something seductive about a 'trinity' 2.8 zoom.

Haha... Bro.. your 70-200F2.8 IS is the one got me started me on getting zoom lenses with focal length that cover 17mm to 200mm in the F2.8 range on a FF. :bsmilie:

How's your conversation to a full prime setup?

i actually take it as a good things... as this mean more chances of that lens going to BnS section... and since there is "many" like u say... maybe the 2nd hand market price will go down... i'll keep my finger cross on this