Is 18-105mm a good upgrade from kit lens?

babytweety

Jul 9, 2003
SPORE
Visit site
Hi all, as above. Is there a lot of difference in the additional 50mm?

babytweety said:
Hi all, as above. Is there a lot of difference in the additional 50mm?

18-105mm is also a kit lens FYI. Just more room to play with and better built than your 18-55mm (I assume this is ur current lens)

IMHO...an upgrade would be a lens with better IQ, nicer bokeh, etc.

what you would be getting would only be a lens that allows your to get in closer without walking closer...

and there would be a difference, in terms of DOF and FOV at the tele end, comparing 50mm to 105mm

IQ no improvement.
AF, not faster
All you get is that extra 50mm…but you're paying more for it.
Even if you were to sell your 18-55..you won't get much to cover the 18-105 purchase.
IMO, if you really want to upgrade, go for an improvement in lens, not improvement is focal range.
Go for a 17-55 f2.8, or a 24-105 or 24-70 type lens…that is an upgrade of significant improvement.
Or if you only want to buy one lens but want more coverage and an acceptable IQ..then go for those good 3rd party superzooms…not fantastic but better than the kit lens in almost every department and you usually get alot more focal range coverage.

hmm another not bad upgrade will be the tamron 17-50 2.8

Thanks all for your reply. I'm new to dslr and cant afford those ex lenses ;(
I have tried my fren's Nikon 18-200mm and luv the extra focal length.Maybe i should save up n buy tt lens. I am also looking at prime lens, the 35mm or 50mm. I luv bokeh!

I have tried my fren's Nikon 18-200mm and luv the extra focal length.Maybe i should save up n buy tt lens. I am also looking at prime lens, the 35mm or 50mm. I luv bokeh!

haha welcome to the dark side..

BBB virus, very deadly.

Actually a Tamron 17-50mm (non-VC) is pretty alright in price (S$6XX). And trust me... you don't really need the VC for that range.

But if it is range that you want, you might want to get a lens combo - Tamron 17-50mm + Nikkor 55-200mm. I believe the two of them added up to be almost the same price as the 18-200mm... and you get better IQ (I believe)... but would lose up on versatility.

Actually a Tamron 17-50mm (non-VC) is pretty alright in price (S$6XX). And trust me... you don't really need the VC for that range.

But if it is range that you want, you might want to get a lens combo - Tamron 17-50mm + Nikkor 55-200mm. I believe the two of them added up to be almost the same price as the 18-200mm... and you get better IQ (I believe)... but would lose up on versatility.

only problem is you need to switch lens...

or maybe if you dont mind a used copy its around 430..

and for grey 17-50 you can get it at 466

just to tell you the price..

af-s 35mm 320 +/- depend on shop..

af-s 50mm 269-290 depend on shop..

luckyorange said:
just to tell you the price..

af-s 35mm 320 +/- depend on shop..

af-s 50mm 269-290 depend on shop..

These price are more affordable to me ;)
Will get one of this soon.

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I prefer not to switch lens, especially during vacations. I'm scared of getting the lens dirty!
But will consider these. But i need to save $$$$! Hahaha

if your cam got af motor. maybe you can go for af-d 50mm 1.8 its around $180(shop) and many selling at bns now due to the offer. you can get it at 150 +/- or a used 1 at 130 +/-

luckyorange said:
if your cam got af motor. maybe you can go for af-d 50mm 1.8 its around $180(shop) and many selling at bns now due to the offer. you can get it at 150 +/- or a used 1 at 130 +/-

Wow! That cheap meh?? I thought its at $200+ range. Btw, I'm using D5100

TS, you might want to consider buying a used 55-200 VR for 200+.

You will gain an extra lens, as well as 145mm more focal length.

I have not tried using MF yet. I think i will buy the G lens. I will get this prime lens first, then the zoomer lens. Thank you all for your comments and recommendations.

Good luck on your purchase. Rem to compare the price around