Is 17-40mm a good lens?

niciku

Sep 30, 2009
Hi all...i need help on deciding of what lens to buy...

Mostly i take group photos of friend and landscape with my 500D..

So is it better to consider tokina 11-16mm or save up to get 16-35mm/24 f1.4?

All opinions will be appreciated...:)

i think a 17-55 f 2.8 would be a better choice for you. 17-55 is a hidden L . produce L quality.

but sometimes im jus thinking that i may change to FF one day..so it may be a waste to buy EF-S lenses...:)

Yes, it is a very good lens (a little soft in the corners on FF but I digress). However, you should get the 17-55/2.8 IS and sell the lens when you decide to move to FF. You gain much more flexibility that way.

Would like to recommend always buy what you need now.....
It's the focal range that you will be working on and developing your skills.
It will be a bit off choosing a FF lens (ie the zoom range) for a crop body.

For the record, 17-55mm IS f2.8 is a fantastic lens. It's on my crop body 80% of the time when I had a crop body. Many many owners of this lens will swear by it.

17-40 does not have IS and it's just a tad short vs the 17-55mm. And it's f4 vs f2.8.
The down side is the 17-55mm cost more though.

A lot of flexibility for the user on 17-55mm.

Just my 2 cents worth.

:)I love my prime lens..

i got a 50mm f1.4

but i jus hate it when i use 50mm with my 500D due to not so wide when i take people's photo...

as a result even i move back the picture only capture the person portrait photo without much of the background..

and when i use my kit lens(18-55mm) at night..it is great with the help of flash but the background seems to be dark..

so actually i am thinking of getting a wide angle lens to shoot landscape and people as well..

maybe i jus wanna upgrade my kit lens..

i am considering tokina 11-16mm

or this 17-40

while upgrading to FF or buying 24mm /16-35,i need to wait for quite long.:):)

so u guys think 17-55IS will be great?

Or should i jus upgrade to 5Dmk2 by selling my 500D?and jus use 50 mm for the time being?

if u have the intention to upgrade to FF soon (within 1-2 years), i advised u to get 17-40.

Cos if u get 10-22, u can't use it on FF and u got to sell it at a loss (although usually the loss not high)

if u have the intention to upgrade to FF soon (within 1-2 years), i advised u to get 17-40.

Cos if u get 10-22, u can't use it on FF and u got to sell it at a loss (although usually the loss not high)

sinned..jus wanna ask..do u think i should jus sell my 500D and get 5D mk2 rather than buying anymore lenses?

sinned..jus wanna ask..do u think i should jus sell my 500D and get 5D mk2 rather than buying anymore lenses?

if u think u are ready for FF then just go for it.

what lens are u using currently? If all are EF lens then no problem u still can use them on your FF.

But just note... 5DMKII only 9 AF points like 450D... so if u are particular about X no of AF points then u better wait for MKIII. :)

I think it's more worthwhile to buy lenses than upgrade a body. unless you really need a full frame body or a faster fps body, then stick to getting better lenses

thx all for the opinions...;)

im using 50mm f1.4 and kit lens only...

yea i think of saving up first la maybe to get decent lenses before switching to FF....

i am not fussy abt 9 Af points..i think it's enough alr...:)

Last edited:
If you are used to seeing the bokeh of the 50mm lens at f/1.4, then the 17-40 might not be able to impress you. IMO. Because, I am used to seeing the bokeh at f/1.8, then I used this f/2.8 lens and it didn't really impress. I know DOF isn't everything, and colour and sharpness etc should be considered too, but it's just my opinion. :)

ahahaha..u r such an insomniac too...

um maybe true also...then i should wait till few years to get 24mm f1.4..hahahhaha

i would get a 17-40 f4.0 first before upgrading to a 16-35 f2.8.

test it out first. for all you know it is good enough for your requirements.

If you are used to seeing the bokeh of the 50mm lens at f/1.4, then the 17-40 might not be able to impress you. IMO. Because, I am used to seeing the bokeh at f/1.8, then I used this f/2.8 lens and it didn't really impress. I know DOF isn't everything, and colour and sharpness etc should be considered too, but it's just my opinion. :)

dont understand why you are comparing a 50mm f1.4 to a 17-40 f4.0? :dunno:

dont understand why you are comparing a 50mm f1.4 to a 17-40 f4.0? :dunno:

oops it's kinda misleading. ok I think I should delete the reply. lol.

I don't see why the 17-40mm f/4 L lens is a bad lens. It's as good as it get for its age, although it is not terribly cheap. But then again, I won't expect a L lens to be so.

17-40 is the cheapest L lens actually haha. :)

thats what actually attracts me of getting this lens..but i think i may jus get 24mm f1.4 at the end of this year...

so 17-40 is affordable together with good image quality?:):)