Is 10-20mm lens useful for Wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IzPhotoWerkz

Jun 25, 2008
Area 51, Nevada
www.izphotowerkz.com
Hi guys, I will be taking photos (On my own) for my cousin's malay wedding end of this month and I was just wondering if having a 10-20mm lens would be useful/ helpful especially for taking group photos on the wedding dias? Coz as you know, the malays sometimes has a big family and I was just afraid that my current lens (18-135mm) is not sufficient. Thank you.

I'm scared about using the wide angle lens for group shots as the people around the sides tend to distort.

I have 10-20 and 18-200. The 10-20 is my fav. To avoid distortion, use only landscape format.

The wideness allows you to be more versatile plus it has a deeper depth of field so you wont feel that your shots are not in focus.

I use 10-20 alot for events.

That was what I thought too bro. Will my 18-135mm lens be sufficient then bro, provided that I have space to 'reverse' ?
Just tell them those people at the corners of the photos will look extremely fat, they all will fit themself nicely in the frame for you, don't have to use ultra wideangle anymore.

Between getting a big group into frame in a small room with some distortion vs. not getting everyone in.. I will choose the former. I would think catching the moment in its completeness is more important than having no distortion. There may be candid moments that call for a wide-angle lens to get every bit of the action into frame.

I have seen some candid shots of Malay weddings within a HDB living room done on a wide-angle lens with some distortion. They looked perfectly fine to me. Everyone was laughing and happy. The action is key; not the proportion to me.

Posed group shots in big room will certainly do fine with 18mm on cropped body.

Big Bungalow & Void deck? Or potentially smaller HDB living room with big family? =)

Just my take on it. You decide ;)

When used creatively, even a fisheye could be used.

You could check out PBASE & FLICKR galleries for ideas.

Thank you very much to all the brothers here. I'm still deciding to get one or not. But thanks to all your feedbacks, I guess it's easier for me to make a decision now. Thank you once again. I will most likely get the lens.

By the way, is there much a difference in picture quality if I were just to use a wide angle converter?

It will be more than acceptable difference to me.

YMMV though. :)

By the way, is there much a difference in picture quality if I were just to use a wide angle converter?

ive shot a few wedding shots as backup or "extra" photographer( as in.. my cousins wedding for example though they have their own photograppher)

most of them, if they were using canon would use a 17-40L or nikon , 17-50 or 17-55

i find that despite having my 28-70, i would end up usiing kit lens, 18-55 more often

The answer should be, whether you know how to shoot at 10-20. Useful or not should be decided by the photographer (you). Not the others.

also, one more important thing, are the couple OK with the vignetting ? portfolio to show couple is important. some people will not like it, some are fine

Status
Not open for further replies.