Irrou Japan Battery

SnapForPassion

May 30, 2010
Jurong West
Hi guys. I just bought a canon 550D from l2P electronic fair and of course it came with quite a number of freebies. Among them there is this irrou japan li-ion battery. The spec stated at the battery was fits for LPE8 (battery for 550D)7.4V, 5800mAh. Another thing i noticed is that this irrou battery when inserted into the 550D charger, it is kinda loose. So i would like to ask if this type of battery is safe for use? Will it damage the charger or the camera if i use it? 5800mAh seems alot compared to the original battery for 550D (1120mAh).

Welcome to the world of freebies thrown around at IT fairs! :bsmilie: You just joined here to report this?
You got a great deal: 2nd battery turns out to be a funky 3rd party thingy with fantasy capacity values. If you think it's unsafe go back and throw it into the face of the sale man, demand for original battery. My original Canon battery also doesn't fit tight into Canon charger.
I guess we will see more of these threads this weekend :)

Last edited:
welcome to the CS, light sider! ;)

5800mAh is quite big lei haha
never see it before haha

I got a 3rd party battery for my Sony alpha A330 yesterday with similar capacity. However upon trying on, my camera prompt saying it is the wrong model and i cant use it. Went back to change and still waiting for a new 3rd party battery to come as the owner of the shop i got from promise me he will get back to me in a few days time. I guess if possible it will be better to ask for original battery as we can be very sure about the reliability and durability. BTW it is the same brand as the one u got.

Hi guys. I just bought a canon 550D from l2P electronic fair and of course it came with quite a number of freebies. Among them there is this irrou japan li-ion battery. The spec stated at the battery was fits for LPE8 (battery for 550D)7.4V, 5800mAh. Another thing i noticed is that this irrou battery when inserted into the 550D charger, it is kinda loose. So i would like to ask if this type of battery is safe for use? Will it damage the charger or the camera if i use it? 5800mAh seems alot compared to the original battery for 550D (1120mAh).

All I can say, use at your own risk.

I would return the battery, and ask for original one, or exchange for some other item, or ask for cash back.

wa, the battery so power ah. if you're worried, then go back and exchange for something else lo.

welcome to CS anyway! :)

I have this battery but i dun know why this battery life wont last long...
I expected it to be as twice power than original one... unfortunately, it didn't...

I expected it to be as twice power than original one... unfortunately, it didn't...

That is why someone in an early post said it has "fantasy" capacity ratings.

i always believe 3rd party batteries can never outlast original batteries in terms of battery life. hence i rather pay more to get original ones.

play safe.. get original..

i got mine 2nd hand... from a guy in BnS..

i always believe 3rd party batteries can never outlast original batteries in terms of battery life. hence i rather pay more to get original ones.

My original battery died suddenly, nowadays when it's fully charged after taking a few pic it would run out of power. The way I charge it is 8hrs at beginning then i only charge when I saw the red light flashing say low batt, same as my 3rd party batt but my 3rd party batt works perfectly fine. :dunno:

I might get 2 3rd party batt on a grip instead of a single original.

Anyway I think there might be printing error on the TS batt. 5800 compared to my 1080 on 500D is like running on nuclear power vs petrol :bsmilie:.

My original battery died suddenly, nowadays when it's fully charged after taking a few pic it would run out of power. The way I charge it is 8hrs at beginning then i only charge when I saw the red light flashing say low batt, same as my 3rd party batt but my 3rd party batt works perfectly fine. :dunno:

I might get 2 3rd party batt on a grip instead of a single original.

Anyway I think there might be printing error on the TS batt. 5800 compared to my 1080 on 500D is like running on nuclear power vs petrol :bsmilie:.

i think u killed your original batteries, usually 2-3 hours of charged is enough... 8 hours is kinda overkill.

i think u killed your original batteries, usually 2-3 hours of charged is enough... 8 hours is kinda overkill.

i think he meant when he first bought the battery then first charge will leave it for 8 hours.. then subsequently he only charges it when it is really low.. so he didn't over charge on a day to day basis..