irritating voice ads on mrt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefen

Apr 26, 2003
Beijing
www.stefenchow.com
argh.... those voice ads in singlish on the mrts are really getting on my nerves....

its loud, disturbing, lack of content, and no grace and usefulness.

how to get them to take it away? :angry:

Give SMRT your feedback.

Stefen said:
argh.... those voice ads in singlish on the mrts are really getting on my nerves....

Thought it was a slimming ad at first but turned out to be a reminder not to block the enterance/exits :bsmilie:

Stefen said:

I feel the same way, always disturb my morning nap.

They are damned irritating. Got the chicken wing one, got the kid with the sweet wrapper/hamburger box/soft drink bottle one, got the slimming ad one, got the football one, etc. Getting bombarded with too many ads and announcements these days.

Regards
CK

esp when you are trying to relax after a hard day at work, or in the early morning when you just want to take a nap.....

I bet those decision makers for these ads have never sat in a mrt under these conditions...

:nono:

Hmm... I commute via SMRT line everyday, and never hear these ads you guys are talking about lor.

Err... maybe I'm blasting my music too loud again! :bsmilie:

another source of revenue for SMRT,
maybe that's reason y they dun increase fare this year....

High probable. After all, they have installed screens in the middle of the car to increase non-fare revenues.

i thought thats some silly mrt courtesy campaign that they are having? doesn't seem to have any commercial value...

The ad doesn't even sign off...

and the problem is it is so loud even if i am on the headphone, I could still hear it. dame

Stefen said:

want to get them to take it away?? easy.. just write to straits times... :bsmilie:
nowadays any tom dick n harry got any issues also write to the straits times demanding public explanation.. kao yao..

quite sickening..

reachme2003 said:
Give SMRT your feedback.

In fact I have done so many times. Seems like they just give a standard reply in all my complaints - about 5-6 by now. And I am really pissed.

Already before these in-train announcements, I had complained many times about the annoying train announcements every few minutes in 4 languages concerning the "stand behind yellow line". And as I complain about announcements in the train platforms, now they have added these in-train announcements as well and additional ones on "suspicious parcels"

I think now the only way is to write in to the Straits Times Forum Page via snail mail. I suggest we conduct a poll as well to add weight to our cause and Stefen - if you are willing, I'll write the letter for you to the ST forum if you are willing to put down your name to it

My most recent complaint was this:

I find the train announcements in 4 languages very disturbing to the public. It adds considerably to the noise pollution and goes non stop every few minutes.

These announcements get pretty old and very annoying. Has any of your MRT executives taken trains on a daily basis? If any of you do take trains 4 times a day, 365 days a year, then you may appreciate the amount of noise and disturbance created by these announcements as you step in to the station, wait at the station and as you exit the station

As a means to educate or remind the public, I find it is pretty ineffective. Nobody bothers about it because it is the same old thing. Announcements are only effective if it is done very sparingly. In fact the current announcements actually promote people to "switch off" and miss genuine annoucements. The MRT is the only place I know of that does this and I'm afraid I don't appreciate it. Imagine walking into every shopping centre and announcements like "Hold on to the escalator rails, No smoking, blah blah" gets aired non stop ..this gets outrageous.

The standard practice is to put up signs but I notice there are no such signs in the train platforms. So may I suggest that:

a) Signs be put up eg "Stand behind yellow line", "No eating", etc and do away with the annoying announcements. With these signs, the MRT would have done its part
b) Perhaps install sensors and sound an alarm if anyone crosses the yellow line when the train is not in the platform
c) Reduce the frequency and volume of the announcements if what I am proposing is to be shot down

This is their reply:

Thank you for your feedback.

With regard to your email, we wish to take this opportunity to inform
you
that for all safety-related announcements and publicity materials, they
will
be done in four languages.

We have noted your feedback and other similar feedback received
previously.
Hence, to avoid clutter, for other announcements which are non-safety
related, they are in English language only.

Todate, we have received mixed feedback from commuters with regard to
the
number of announcements played in our system. We wish to share with you
that
whilst some have requested that we increase the number of announcements
as
they are more effective than signages, another group preferred signages
to
announcements. In view of of the above-mentioned, we have to strike a
balance between the two.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We would like to
assure
you that we have noted it and will continue to monitor the situation.
Should
you have any other query or feedback, please feel free to call the SMRT
Information Centre Hotline at 1800-336 8900 (toll-free).

Regards
Sherlyn Chia
Corporate Communications Executive

i hardly take the MRT. when i take buses, either i'm on earphones, or ear plugs, and my shades. to shut off most disturbance from TVmobile and traffic noise etc.

u can't reallly sleep in mrt either, so few seats, and perpendicular to train direction. bus is better for zz if u can find a seat.

smrt is juz being kiasi, in case some one else get killed by running onto the track, or worse, some terror stuff, smrt can say it has done their part etc.

the near future won't be better, we'll be bombarded by advertisements and such everywhere we go, until it'll be like <i>minority report</i> etc.heh

I feel the remainders are good as it is light hearted. But maybe they should play it underground as it cant be made out with all the background noise.

thanks God, seldom take mrt now. I heard it once, and agree that it's annoying. especially, when there r lots of people in.

rncw said:
"7722, 1589, 3388, one dollar big, one dollar small..."

wah that's the winning 4D combinations huh? :bigeyes: :thumbsup:

oeyvind said:
wah that's the winning 4D combinations huh? :bigeyes: :thumbsup:

Yah .. heard the 4D ads this morning ... luckily was not directly under the speaker .. else you will really get :mad2:

Status
Not open for further replies.