Iran and Turkey

yamcake

Aug 11, 2003
Anyone been to Iran?
Interested in going to Iran and Turkey.. interested in hearing experiences especially in Iran....

How is the standard of living in Turkey compared to Sg? It seems like its as high as Singapore if not more expensive as its very near Europe...

I've never been to Iran but I just came back recently. If you are referring to the cost of living, I think it is not that expensive as S'pore, especially away from Istanbul. Petrol is not cheap. The Eurodiesel is about Sing$ 2 per litre. It's cheaper to travel by bus than renting a car.

My parents make annual pilgrimage to Iran.

Anyone been to Iran?
Interested in going to Iran and Turkey.. interested in hearing experiences especially in Iran....

How is the standard of living in Turkey compared to Sg? It seems like its as high as Singapore if not more expensive as its very near Europe...

If you are into the history, Turkey is great! Living in turkey? I will go back to Singapore anytime XD. May be becuase when I was traveling there, I have been eatting really COLD food for meals and chicken beast only.

Their one cup of tea is around 4 Liras which is about $3.50 SGD and it is half the size of our coffee shop cup.

From what I saw their meals were at least 5 to 9 Liras.

Turkey is some what half asia and half europe. Istanbul is somewere in the half way. They call the European (Thrace) and on the Asian (Anatolia) sides of the Bosphoru.

I pretty much enjoy my travel becuase there were alot of thing to learn about of their history and how some storys like Troy and etc came about.

The people are pretty friendly! If you go all the way into turkey, the people treat you like their best friend. A few time people give me food and some tea for free. D: And they were willing to pose for you.

But if you want to buy some stuff like scaf, bottle and etc. You may have to do alot of bargaining. Like down to 45% to 50%. What I know is the the base price is at least 20 Liras to 24 Liras.

For a middle size lamp like those, I paid around 30 Liras in their Great Barzza.

Last edited:
Their one cup of tea is around 4 Liras which is about $3.50 SGD and it is half the size of our coffee shop cup.

From what I saw their meals were at least 5 to 9 Liras.

4 TL for tea ? I'd say you've been ripped off. The normal price for tea is just about 1-1.5 TL.
Big cities like Istanbul or Izmir are somewhat comparable with Sg, and their currency is slightly cheaper than SGD (1USD=1.5TL).
And don't buy anything in the Grand Bazaar, you'll get cheaper price at the Spice bazaar.
I strongly recommend going to Turkey. Great people, great places, and great experiences. :thumbsup:

DSC_1900.jpg

If you are in history, Turkey is great! Living in Turkey? I'm going back to Mexico at all times XD. Maybe because when I was away, I was really cold eatting food for meals and the Beast chicken only. Your cup of tea is only about 4 lire, or about $ 3.50 SGD, and is half the size of our coffee. From what I've seen your meals at least 5.9 liras. Turkey is an asia and europe this medium. Somewere in Istanbul is half the battle. They appealed to the European Union (Thrace) and Asia (Anatolia) from the Bosphoru. I'm enjoying my trip, because there was much to learn about their history and how some storys like Troy and was born and so on. The people are very friendly! If it goes all the way to Turkey, people treat you like your best friend. Some people give me food and tea. D: And they were willing to pose for you.

Church of Ephesus

Turkey has great historical sites and varied landscapes but for me, the most memorable would be the people. They are friendly, kind and helpful especially when you travel further away from Istanbul. But when they drive, they are quite terrible people.
We drove in Turkey on our tour in Oct 2010. Whenever we went into the petrol stations for toilet breaks, the attendants would kindly showed us where the toilets were, even if we did not fill up our tank. I fell when I was in Ayvalik and at the petrol station, this young chap plastered my wound and gave me free plasters.
When we were at Adiyamen on the way to Mt Nemrut, we stayed in a hotel away from the town center. We asked for directions and this young chap, who didn’t speak a word of English, took us for a 20 minutes walk to the center to find a restaurant. On the way back at about 9pm, two youths chased after us to have a photograph taken with them on their handphones.
In Sanliurfa, people greeted us “Merhaba” and willingly posed for us or with them.
The infrastructure is quite good there too. It’s great place to go.

Iran is considered cheap to travel, compared to Turkey. Esfahan is a good place to shoot. Shiraz has many beautiful gardens. But you can't expect to get what you got in Turkey. Is different.

look forward to these countries,but too horrible

although istanbul is nice,
I defiantly still encourage you to spend more time at other parts of turkey..
especially "amasya", "safranbolu", "mount nemrut", and some of the coastal town like "Kas"

4334541471_608d6a67a2.jpg

amasya

4315252246_87113ea1fc.jpg

safranbolu

I got a lot of information at http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/
when i was planning for my trip 2 years back...

hope these infomation is useful to you :)

Nice photo of Amasya. I had planned to go this place but changed my mind due to time constraints. I did go to Safranbolu and Mt Nemrut.
These are the places I visited:
130021543.S8HpDdXH.jpg

pkong
http://www.pbase.com/virtualink/turkey_2010

Thank you for all inputs and pictures! Very inspired.. hahah.

heard that food sucks in Turkey.. LOL.. quite funny when the kebab u eat here is quite tasty.. haha