IR Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgbyte77

Mar 27, 2005
Singapore
Tried the search function but it just spew everything from remote control to don't know what...

Anyway... I wanna buy a cheap IR trigger but having doubts on compatibility and other issues. Hope some here have answers.

Is there a cheap IR trigger for D70 that can trigger SB800? This can also trigger studio flash? Since I don't expect to use this quite often, are there anything less than $50?

Is there an IR trigger specifically for Nikon or specifically for D70? When using IR Trigger, can the SB800 still use TTL? What are the other issues that I need to know? Range, etc? Are there any website that can explain more? Searching the keyword "trigger" is difficult to isolate relevant material.

u can try getting an Electra IR trigger for ard $80, if they still have stock. works just fine on Nikon DSLRs (plus any other cams, come to think of it...).

range wise - strictly line of sight. u are looking at mebbe an operational range of ard 10m or less? (?)

there's no TTL if u use a IR trigger to fire ur sb800. u have to manually set the exposure settings.

Thanks for the info... didn't know its quite expensive (in terms of function)... main use is just for PBS workshop.. so 10m is already enough. :D

why not buy a SU-4 ???? :p

i have used electra ir trigger before. i faced some compatibility issues with it. now, i only use it to trigger my studio flashes when walking around the set to get flash exposures. ie. one hand holding the flashmeter while the other holds the electra trigger. i use another (brand) of trigger on my camera.

nightwolf75 said:
u can try getting an Electra IR trigger for ard $80, if they still have stock. works just fine on Nikon DSLRs (plus any other cams, come to think of it...).

range wise - strictly line of sight. u are looking at mebbe an operational range of ard 10m or less? (?)

there's no TTL if u use a IR trigger to fire ur sb800. u have to manually set the exposure settings.

I really think a radio trigger/ receiver set is much more reliable. Eastgeat selling at abt $80 I think? For triggering your sb800, won't CLS work?

what one needs is one that works with your camera/lights/flashes all the time. so, compatibility is crucial. it must not fail. reliability.

reachme2003 said:
i have used electra ir trigger before. i faced some compatibility issues with it. now, i only use it to trigger my studio flashes when walking around the set to get flash exposures. ie. one hand holding the flashmeter while the other holds the electra trigger. i use another (brand) of trigger on my camera.

well, i've used it on both canon and nikon systems, SLR and DSLRs, indoors and outdoors. so far, no issues of compatibility for me. there was only one occasion recently dat it refused to fire on my d100. but, at the advice of some CSer on the spot, i cleaned the hotshoe contact on my d100 and it worked again.

of course, u can't expect too much from a $80+ device, rite? compare to the more expensive radio triggers, no fight lah. but for a hobbist who just needs a simple device to trigger a flash, this works pretty darn well, IMO. :)

nightwolf75 said:
well, i've used it on both canon and nikon systems, SLR and DSLRs, indoors and outdoors. so far, no issues of compatibility for me. there was only one occasion recently dat it refused to fire on my d100. but, at the advice of some CSer on the spot, i cleaned the hotshoe contact on my d100 and it worked again.

of course, u can't expect too much from a $80+ device, rite? compare to the more expensive radio triggers, no fight lah. but for a hobbist who just needs a simple device to trigger a flash, this works pretty darn well, IMO. :)

My plan is to 1st use it for PBS workshop (he recommends hotshoe adaptor but since I do not have a studio, this will end up junked after 1 use) and after the workshop, maybe use with SB800 but I think it will be like my tripod which is a white elephant... so cheaper the better. It seems $80 is the cheapest... the Nikon brand must be expensive so I'm staying away from that. Appreciate all the replies.

dawgbyte77 said:
My plan is to 1st use it for PBS workshop (he recommends hotshoe adaptor but since I do not have a studio, this will end up junked after 1 use) and after the workshop, maybe use with SB800 but I think it will be like my tripod which is a white elephant... so cheaper the better. It seems $80 is the cheapest... the Nikon brand must be expensive so I'm staying away from that. Appreciate all the replies.
Do you know you can use sb800 as a trigger?

All you need is to disable the pre-flash of your sb800, so just set your sb800 to manual 1/128, aim away from the subject, it will trigger the studio flashs, don't need anythings else.

catchlights said:
Do you know you can use sb800 as a trigger?

All you need is to disable the pre-flash of your sb800, so just set your sb800 to manual 1/128, aim away from the subject, it will trigger the studio flashs, don't need anythings else.

Won't it affect the lighting (reflected)? PBS uses a lot of reflectors. But hmm, if lower the power, maybe very low enough can manage. Will check more reference on this. Thanks for that idea. :)

dawgbyte77 said:
Won't it affect the lighting (reflected)? PBS uses a lot of reflectors. But hmm, if lower the power, maybe very low enough can manage. Will check more reference on this. Thanks for that idea. :)

u're going for his novice lighting class?

the cheapest way i can think of is to use ur d70 pop-up flash. get a small piece of cardboard to cover/block the flash light when it fires. this will prevent ur flash from hitting the subject, yet becos of the light escaping from the sides, it will trigger the studio strobes.

beside the subjust, there are still many ways/sides you still can aim, 1/128 and full power is 7stops, and you still have a omnibouce device......

or spend $80 for IR trigger....

or spend $15 for hotshoe adaptor.....

i had compatibility issues with my D100. referred to Ruby, she told me, i quote "we always ask what camera/s you are using if you are thinking of buying Electra ir trigger". it said so much about it.

nightwolf75 said:

or borrow from PBS or other participants there.

catchlights said:
beside the subjust, there are still many ways/sides you still can aim, 1/128 and full power is 7stops, and you still have a omnibouce device......

or spend $80 for IR trigger....

or spend $15 for hotshoe adaptor.....

nightwolf75 said:
u're going for his novice lighting class?

the cheapest way i can think of is to use ur d70 pop-up flash. get a small piece of cardboard to cover/block the flash light when it fires. this will prevent ur flash from hitting the subject, yet becos of the light escaping from the sides, it will trigger the studio strobes.

Someone already tried using the SB800 but it failed to trigger the lights..

dawgbyte77 said:
I believe he/she didn't disable the pre-flash.. and the pre-flash trigger the studio flash first before the camera shutter open..

Set the flash to manual (minimum power) to disable the pre-flash!

Jeric,

You can use your built in flash to trigger your SB-800 as well when you turn on the SU-4

Set it to the lowest power, use either a paper or aluiminium foil to cover your in built flash so that it will not interfere with your main subject. Just cover slightly, not all of it.

If you really want a cheap IR Trigger which cost below $50 also have. Go to Sim Lim Tower. They have DIY kit on IR Trigger.

Most IR Trigger in the market (the reliable ones) prices are a little expensive but as reachme2003 has mentioned, reliability is most important. Why go to a shoot when you are fully prepared but your trigger mechanism fail you. You will be surprised how much you can do with an IR Trigger. It's not just for studio usage to trigger off strobes only but aren't you lucky that you can trigger your SB-800 as well.

If you think a reliable IR Trigger cost is about $150 is expensive, then you are lucky that you are not a Canon user. Canon flashes the 580/550EX cannot be triggered via normal IF Trigger sold in the market except their own ST-E2 (Canon IF Trigger) which cost about $300

When you have an off the camera flash works for you, you can created all kinds of lighting system. Your very own CLS lighitng.

dawgbyte77 said:

Please read through the manual again.

The manual is one of the KEY factor know your camera better.

Pls check on Page 150-151 to understand your built in flash better. Try not to created a professional lighting setups without first knowing your camera abililty.

Status
Not open for further replies.