IR focus assist

eosandy

Sep 14, 2008
Land of smiles
Do you guys know of any off-cam and off-flash solutions to focus assist lamps?

I'm looking to take some photos in a dance hall where the lighting is so poor, a 50 1.4 hunts.

I have considered a split focus screen and manual focus, but this is a bit hit/miss.

Anyone modified an LED torch with IR led's with any success? Thinking of strapping one to the bottom of my cam to allow me to point the beam in the right direction, and control when it's used. May also need a mask over the torch lens to give contrast across the beam to allow the AF to work... punting a few ideas here that need development.

Do you guys know of any off-cam and off-flash solutions to focus assist lamps?

I'm looking to take some photos in a dance hall where the lighting is so poor, a 50 1.4 hunts.

I have considered a split focus screen and manual focus, but this is a bit hit/miss.

Anyone modified an LED torch with IR led's with any success? Thinking of strapping one to the bottom of my cam to allow me to point the beam in the right direction, and control when it's used. May also need a mask over the torch lens to give contrast across the beam to allow the AF to work... punting a few ideas here that need development.

i dunno... i know that my canon flash allows me have the assist:think: hope it helps

i dunno... i know that my canon flash allows me have the assist:think: hope it helps

Thanks. My Speedlights are mounted off-camera at various locations around the hall, so I lose the ability to use their focus assist beams.

Do you know if an ST-E2 can be mounted on a 7D with the intention to use it as a focus assist item only? I have the ST-E2 but it's redundent due to 7D ability to control flashes off-cam.

Thanks. My Speedlights are mounted off-camera at various locations around the hall, so I lose the ability to use their focus assist beams.

Do you know if an ST-E2 can be mounted on a 7D with the intention to use it as a focus assist item only? I have the ST-E2 but it's redundent due to 7D ability to control flashes off-cam.

not too sure... i'm using a 580ex... never had to do that. sorry!

but i think u can use the focusing screen method. splitscreen is useful, especialyl if ur on FTM

The dancers dont mind you shining a red AF assist beam at them? I guess its better to manual focus.

The dancers dont mind you shining a red AF assist beam at them? I guess its better to manual focus.

Naa, the dancers won't mind as it's what I'm there to do. Besides it won't be for the whole night!

Naa, the dancers won't mind as it's what I'm there to do. Besides it won't be for the whole night!

ur using canon right? why not use 1 580+ ur other minions?

and then use the 580 as ur af focus beam:think:

Your 7D build-in flash has focus assist beam. Why not use it?

yes the ST-E2 can be used as only a focus assist. it's way more unobtrusive than the strobing effect from the built-in flash AF assist

Very true too. The white flashes are more distracting.;)

yes the ST-E2 can be used as only a focus assist. it's way more unobtrusive than the strobing effect from the built-in flash AF assist

That's what I thought. Now the question really is, do I then use the flash commander capabilities of the ST-E2, or can the 7D commander still be used, even though the STE2 in on the hotshoe?

That's what I thought. Now the question really is, do I then use the flash commander capabilities of the ST-E2, or can the 7D commander still be used, even though the STE2 in on the hotshoe?

use the STE2 as commander? i dnno. maybe both use the same time? i also dunno

but since u have the kit, why dun u try out:) i think its also faster that way hahahaha:bsmilie: