IR filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

offspring

Jun 3, 2003
www.momofuku.asia
Hi

Anyone used IR filters with their DSLRs? Need recommendation for one IR filter.

Thanks in advance

i use hoya R72 filter a lot for my shot.
Good enough for me, result is yummy... yummy...

Oh btw, I use nikon D100

The cheapest and most readily available IR filter is the Hoya R72. Get the 58mm size and no larger because you just don't need it and because of the extremely high cost of the larger ones like 72mm.

Even if your lens is 72mm, you can use the 58mm with a 72-58mm step-down adapter without vignetting on a DSLR because of the 1.6 crop factor in most situations.

heh...sorry to tag onto this post...me got a question...

I'm using a C5050...anyone got exp using this Digi to take IR pics?...How do you determine if one's digi is capable of registering over at the IR range??

A very rough guide is to point and fire your TV remote at the lens of your digicam and see if you could see a white blinking light in the image on the LCD screen.

Most of the times (but not in all cases, mind you), if you can then the camera can be used to take IR photos.

romeobravo said:
i use hoya R72 filter a lot for my shot.
Good enough for me, result is yummy... yummy...

Oh btw, I use nikon D100

do you use a particular white balance with the filter?
and what kinda tones does it give you?
i use preset with the filter on and the highlights give a cyan cast...
dont like that...
any suggestions?

no need white balance setting. When shooting with IR filter on digital, later on you have to extract the red channel only.

romeobravo said:
no need white balance setting. When shooting with IR filter on digital, later on you have to extract the red channel only.

Thats if you want to do post production to your shots rite? Think the whote balance setting will save you the hassle of post production of the "tonnes" of photos u take...

yes. i do the white card manual white balance...
i somehow expect to be able to see color infra red, like someone posted using his 10D... looked good... but i cant achieve it... monochrome infra red is easily achieved though...

the two methods just suggested are both great methods that i have tried before for mono ir...

showtime said:
yes. i do the white card manual white balance...
i somehow expect to be able to see color infra red, like someone posted using his 10D... looked good... but i cant achieve it... monochrome infra red is easily achieved though...

You mean like the colored IR photos in this thread?
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=48437

To get the blue skies, you must carry out post-processing of each image by swapping the red and blue channels.

tomcat said:
The cheapest and most readily available IR filter is the Hoya R72. Get the 58mm size and no larger because you just don't need it and because of the extremely high cost of the larger ones like 72mm.

Even if your lens is 72mm, you can use the 58mm with a 72-58mm step-down adapter without vignetting on a DSLR because of the 1.6 crop factor in most situations.
oh dats sometime new 2 me. thot of getting a 72mm but the price put me off. $100!!! wat kinda step down adapter should i get? same as those used by prosumer digicams?

showtime said:
yah thats the one...
what does the original picture look like?
The original image looked reddish too with some cyan colours. What colours would eventually appear after post-processing is more dependent on the camera used - in this case, 10D.

If I had used another camera, the colour scheme of the IR images could be quite different. For example, I'd just tried out IR photography on my humble, old Nikon Coolpix 950 and the IR images obtained were more monotonous in appearance. Check them out in my post in the Gallery section here

Status
Not open for further replies.