IR Filter Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knighthunter

Sep 13, 2002
Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
Anyone has any idea what the IR filter made from and where I can get it? Any idea how to supplement this material?

I planned to make custom IR filter for my built in camera flash to command my SB 80DX wirelessly. The idea is came from my previous flash SB 50DX which has IR filter to block its output and makes it as wireless flash master.

Originally posted by Knighthunter
Anyone has any idea what the IR filter made from and where I can get it? Any idea how to supplement this material?

I planned to make custom IR filter for my built in camera flash to command my SB 80DX wirelessly. The idea is came from my previous flash SB 50DX which has IR filter to block its output and makes it as wireless flash master.

For such purposes, you can use UNEXPOSED and PROCESSED/DEVELOPED SLIDE film.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Regards
CK

I want to completely block the output of the build in flash and the IR will trigger the flash.
Slide definetely not solid enough, I will try your suggestion with unexposed neg film.

Originally posted by ckiang
mabbe this is a silly qn but how do you use unexposed neg film to mount as a filter? isn't it exposed the second you pull it out?

I want to completely block the output of the build in flash and the IR will trigger the flash.
Slide definetely not solid enough, I will try your suggestion with unexposed neg film.

DON'T. It will fry your flash. The unexposed, developed slide film is black and blocks most light but allows IR through. Unexposed neg is clear. Exposed neg is well, dark dark brown. Prolonged usage will burn the flash as heat cannot get out.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by hoppinghippo
not solid enuff as in doesn't block out enuff light? maybe try several layers of developed slide film? and "unexposed" means slide film that isn't exposed but developed anyway so you get an all black slide which is opaque but allow IR to go thru.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wiskerke/artikelen/infraroodeng.html

Thanks for website......

DON'T. It will fry your flash. The unexposed, developed slide film is black and blocks most light but allows IR through. Unexposed neg is clear. Exposed neg is well, dark dark brown. Prolonged usage will burn the flash as heat cannot get out.

Never thing about the heat before.....

I think I will try to stack exposed slide and stack it into few layers, this weekend.
I dunno how Nikon sink the heat in the SB 50DX, the IR filter is completely block the flash.

Technical information about the blocking propertes of exposed neg (C41) film and the correct exposure levels can be found at the following URL

Exposure Information and characteristics

Far better is to use a proper IR blocking filter made from the correct material which is a form of plexiglass.

One site you can purchase this material from is listed below, it's in the USA though.

IR filter material

Heat dissipation and build up WILL NOT be a problem provided if you allow around 20-30 seconds between each flash use. You can further reduce the wait period by building a lightweight plastic enclosure with the IR material that sits 30-50mm in front of the flip up flash.

Depending on which camera you're using (you haven't said) a more practical approcach may be a PC synch cord based remote trigger.

Hi Ian,
Thanks a lot.....the information about how to expose the neg film is very useful.
I use F80 and D100 both have same configuration no PC socket.
I also want to try my creativity since nikon speedlite support basic IR triggering at manual mode.

Ahh, but why not just go down the SC-17 plus SC-18 SC-19 route and keep full TTL operation without all the mucking around.

Originally posted by Ian
Ahh, but why not just go down the SC-17 plus SC-18 SC-19 route and keep full TTL operation without all the mucking around.
Cost consideration...I am not use wireless so often....
Thanks mate!
:D

I think I will try to stack exposed slide and stack it into few layers, this weekend.
I dunno how Nikon sink the heat in the SB 50DX, the IR filter is completely block the flash.

Remember IR is heat, IR filter lets IR pass, thereby letting the heat pass. Otherwise, a slide of a night scene/dark scene in a slide projector will probably melt though there are heat filters in the projector.

1 layer is sufficient. It reduces the visible light output from the flash to negligible levels.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.