IR basic post processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

log1t3ch

May 11, 2004
Singapore
pls give me feed back if u think this is helpful\unhelpful. or ways to improve it as i dont want to be giving misleading information. i hope this helps those who dont really know how its done and have problems with their photoshopping. i'm doing this using my own images and feel free to use them to practice. i know there are other pros out there who can coach better and give better/correct instuctions but i'm just here to help.

Basic_IR_Post_Process_by_log1t3ch.jpg

Hi,

This explains the basic IR "Red/Blue Channel Swap" post process pretty well; love the way you orgainzed the information flow with the use of a nicely taken photo and screen caps. Good job! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Matt

Well done. Good job.

Good one, will pm Boss to sticky it ;)

Thanks log1t3ch for this great tutorial.

I've put this thread on Sticky so that any new IR shooters who requires basic IR post processing can easily access.

Good Job :thumbsup:
Thanks

This thread will be closed to prevent too many posts so that it can be used for reference only.

Any queries, please start a new thread or send PM.

teerex

WB setting in IR photography is important. Point camera to different scene will give different WB color setting. Below images shown compare the original color and colors after PP. I am using ELP filter, it give more room to vary the color you like. I think Hoya R72 only give white leaf and blue sky. More than 750nm IR filter will only give black and white image.

The choice is yours for me I prefer color IR images. For ELP filter the material to make the filter is not 100% pure some time you get a few black spot is normal. Never use Cookin IR filter in the mod camera it give lots of black spots like the dust on the CCD. IR images is fun and challenging sometime I get the most satisfy color I want but I try get obtain the same color and it never happen again.

After the normal channel swap, I go to the selective color to adjust the yellow, blue, neutral, black value. shadow/highlight, brightness/contract, hue/saturation, need to adjust too. Last step is noise reduction.

Cam used is D40xir, lens used, 18-135mm, 18-200mm VR, Tokina fisheye 10-17mm.

D1.jpg

D2.jpg

D3.jpg

D4.jpg

D5.jpg

D6.jpg

D7.jpg

D8.jpg

Photography is a form of arts, you can learn all the skills and techniques but one thing you cannot learn – it is the creativity. If you look at the award winning photo the one with the more creativity always win. Creativity makes a photo outstanding and difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.