ipod vs creative muvo2

Status
Not open for further replies.

reactan

Jan 2, 2004
Bedok
reactan.instantlogic.com
hi,

i'm looking to get a mp3 player, and am trying to decide between the 15GB ipod and the 4GB Creative Nomad MUVO2. Anyone uses any of these? any suggestions? Whats the diff in functionality and sound quality?

Thanks,
Al

reactan said:
hi,

i'm looking to get a mp3 player, and am trying to decide between the 15GB ipod and the 4GB Creative Nomad MUVO2. Anyone uses any of these? any suggestions? Whats the diff in functionality and sound quality?

Thanks,
Al

I've been using the 2nd generation iPod for 2 years now... I got an iMac as well so hot-sync betw ipod and iMac via firewire is a breeze... iTunes is simple to use and the best part is, it's also now available for Wintel machines...

Never bother to check other MP3 players anymore cos' I love my iPod... if ur budget allows it, why not go for the iPod? U'll not regret it... :thumbsup:

(PS: I'm an out-and-out Apple lover... so u decide for urself what ur requirements are, okie... ;) )

If you're getting something purely for MP-3 purposes, then I don't see the need in getting the iPOD unless you have tons of songs. I'm using a 20GB iPOD which I use it as an external HD. Only complaint I have is the battery life. Would have gotten the Belkin battery pack if not for the extra bulk.

have used each before, about a mth each.
on the same pair of test earphones (sony G73s)
ipod vs iriver ihp120, double batt life, louder output, plays more formats, more EQ settings, better chinese support. but more expensive.
ipod vs muvo2 is small but still hdd-based ie no excessive shaking, else longer batt life, cheaper, louder output.
ipod looks cooler, great if u on mac, elegant interface, an can engrave ur name on the back.
louder == bigger headphones usable, and more bass if u like.
batt longer == obvious + can stay louder longer.
capacity 20GB is too much for mp3. hell to manage.
size, if u considering ipod then u wun really bother about size. but ipod takes a WHOLE pocket w/o the slip-in case.

denizenx said:
have used each before, about a mth each.
on the same pair of test earphones (sony G73s)
ipod vs iriver ihp120, double batt life, louder output, plays more formats, more EQ settings, better chinese support. but more expensive.ipod vs muvo2 is small but still hdd-based ie no excessive shaking, else longer batt life, cheaper, louder output.
ipod looks cooler, great if u on mac, elegant interface, an can engrave ur name on the back.
louder == bigger headphones usable, and more bass if u like.
batt longer == obvious + can stay louder longer.
capacity 20GB is too much for mp3. hell to manage.
size, if u considering ipod then u wun really bother about size. but ipod takes a WHOLE pocket w/o the slip-in case.

hey, thanks for your post. just need to confirm, the parts highlighted in blue, you are talking ab the iriver and muvo respectively right?

Thanks,
Al

muvo - slightly cheaper. longer batt life. but design lose to ipod.

ipod - big capacity. sound quality excellent (provided u use good headphones and speakers). batt a bit short. also, batt will loose its charge capacity after ~ 1yr. this is a well-documented problem. apple centre in s'pore will replace the batt for ~$100 (i think). most imptly... its ULTRA COOL to hold one in ur hand!!! (i'm not a mac-head tho... but, i really love the design!)

i juz bought a iriver imp-450 and i love it.

http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=iMP-450

1- format your cdrw as a directcd... walla... u have a 600mb+ cf for a couple of bucks. you'll be amazed how fast u can copy/delete things in case u've never tried before.

2- battery life is amazing. it also comes with an external AA adapter so u can use your AAs or rechargeables anywhere. int+ext can last for 50hr+. no more propriety lithium ions that costs a bomb.

3- sound quality is fantastic. you can check the reviews. comparable to ipod.

4- comes with remote controller + fm too!

5- it's very small, about the size of probably 6-7 cds stacked together.

All for $245!!! u should seriously consider it. still got lots of money to spare for a great headphone. maybe u should try getting the senheisser px-200 or shure e-2c with it. it'll blast ur mind away.

How about Creative's Zen Xtra 30GB? I am using one now and have no complains. The build quality is acceptible and the sound quality is very good. Battery life is slightly over 10 hours, and that is enough to last a trans-pacific flight from US to HK for me. I dismantled mine to look inside, and I believe it would be relatively easy to upgrade the HDD should I need more storage.

I have not used iPod before so don't know how it compares to the iPod in terms of sound qquality. It is slightly bigger than the iPod though. Should cost less than or about the same as the iPod 15GB.

Muvo2 give you the advantage of smaller size but not really the duraility of solid-state memeory players because it uses microdrive. So if size is not that big a concern and if you plan to store your entire CD collectin onto the portable player then you should probably consider 2.5" HDD based players. with 30GB you can store about 500 CDs' worth of music in 128kbit MP3 format, based on my calculations.

If you don't mind loading and reloading the music you want to listen on a smaller capacity player then the Muvo2 shell + 512MB CF way is actually quite attractive. Muvo2 shells are on sale on ebay for around US$29 ~ US$49, and you can get a 512 MB CF for about US$79 (don't really need the high-speed type). That will cost you considerably lower than a off-the-shelf 512MB solid state memory player.

MP3 CD players are nice and cheap with amazing battery life (the latest Panasonic models I have seen in Japan recently claims >100 hour battery life on 2 AA batteries!!!!), but they are kind of bulky. I used Panasonic's SL-MP353 (US$69) for more than a year. If you normally carry 10 CDs with you then you only need to carry one now. The problem is that I got greedy and still carried 10 MP3 CDs with me. :p That was the main reason I decided to move to a HDD based player.

Ultimately, the big question is how you will be using the player and what you preference is.

Zen NX's are pretty nice too, I have a 15gig version that runs for 13 hours straight on a single charge, great for road trips with a belkin fm transmitter. The build quality is below average but at least you can change batteries if need be and the more recent firmware+drivers are actually useable. Compared to my friends very small very cute ipod - whose battery runs for only 15 minutes costed $350 more than my NX, has half the storage capacity and crashes windows every time it's plugged in (since it's not under warranty apple wants her to shell out a lot of cash to replace the battery) - i think creative's products are a good deal. Ipods are for fashion victims with too much money.

Status
Not open for further replies.