iPod question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi guys.

Just got my Ipod today (hurray!) and when I plug it to my PC, I was prompted to 'format' the harddrive in the Ipod. I clicked on the 'update' button and for the past 10-20 minutes, I only see a 'Do not disconnect' message ... is that normal?

TIA! ;)

Nope... I presume you're updating the firmware, it shouldn't take that long. Have you charged the iPod up 5 hours already?

Once you plug in, it would prompt you to update via ipod updater if the firmware's old, it would take 3-5 secs to update, after that unplug, plug to power source and reboot.

Shouldn't take more than 30s.

That is normal right? "Do not disconnect" message means that your iPod is connected as an 'external drive'. So you can start using it as a portable external storage too.

And... congratulations for getting an iPod, they are lovely to use and look at. Good choice! :)

But he was updating the firmware, after updating it should prompt him to remove and plug in a power source to reboot the iPod. It seems he's been updating it for the past 20+ mins. :dunno:

If you turn off the "Disk" function in iTunes you can just plug it out immediately without ejecting it, but then of course you won't be able to drag/drop into the iPod from "My Computer". Otherwise, you'll see that don't disconnect sign there all the time. Hmmm, shouldn't there be an update process thingy?

Adam, try transferring some files into whatever drive your iPod is named in Windows Explorer.

Also, have you installed iTunes? Time to start ripping those U2 CDs and transferring songs in! :D

n0d3 said:
If you turn off the "Disk" function in iTunes you can just plug it out immediately without ejecting it, but then of course you won't be able to drag/drop into the iPod from "My Computer". Otherwise, you'll see that don't disconnect sign there all the time. Hmmm, shouldn't there be an update process thingy?
By default the disk function is turned off in iTunes upon first installation. It has to be manually turned on in order for it to work.

Also, you shouldn't just plug out like that without ejecting, you can eject via the Add/Remove devices icon on the task bar, I eject my Eye One, iPod & card reader this way, I don't just pull out.

Hi guys.

I know this sounds dumb.

I went to Windows Explorer and clicked on the iPod drive; I got the message that it is not formatted; should format it from there?

Thanks again!

Adam Goi said:
Hi guys.

I know this sounds dumb.

I went to Windows Explorer and clicked on the iPod drive; I got the message that it is not formatted; should format it from there?

Thanks again!
Start up iPod Updater, it should do the formatting for you?

I formatted my iPod via DOS the other time. I kinda forgotten need to format or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.