iPhoto, CS4, LR, Aperture & Bridge.... I'm crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaven100

Mar 13, 2005
Hi

Not sure if anyone is like me who like a little of below applications or even more

1. iPhoto- Like the facial detection and easy way of orgainising photos
2. CS4- Using it for years and still can't master.
3. LR- New user and exploring. Seems to be easy
4. Aperture- Easy and used to use alot
5. Bridge- It was legacy before iPhoto 09

Not sure I'm the only crazy fellow who use so many applications.

Now, the problem is that where should I save my final photos. I'm having problem now to handle multiple copies for different applications usage.

Hi fellow mac user!
Personally I prefer Aperture. Bridge seems a bit slow for my liking. Aperture is good in the sense that it provides quick edits and output for any photoshoots I do for events or people (so I can get the photos to them real fast), and it permits for further export to Photoshop - which I hardly use these days (considering that sigh.. most people can't really tell the difference between a good and bad photo). If not wrong, iPhoto 09 integrates the Aperture album right? At any rate, if we should be considering the balance between functionality and database management, then I would think that Aperture is the way to go. It's much faster than CS4, and permits more types of editing/ control compared to iPhoto, albeit you might miss the face recognition system.

Now, the problem is that where should I save my final photos. I'm having problem now to handle multiple copies for different applications usage.

Where? That depends on your workflow, storage concept and archiving concept. All what you have listed are applications to edit and process images. Lightroom and CS3 and CS4 can interact, no need to keep multiple copies.
I would suggest you remove duplicated functions within the list of your applications. Lightroom has a nice organizing function, no need for Bridge, imho. Streamline and focus on what you need most.

Where? That depends on your workflow, storage concept and archiving concept. All what you have listed are applications to edit and process images. Lightroom and CS3 and CS4 can interact, no need to keep multiple copies.
I would suggest you remove duplicated functions within the list of your applications. Lightroom has a nice organizing function, no need for Bridge, imho. Streamline and focus on what you need most.

Agree - you've got it.

Only one copy of your files needed. LR is referencing the file. No use for Bridge any more. LR is good for 50% of the editing; and PS for the remaining 50% when heavier edits are required. LR and PS work very well together; but so does Aperture + PS. iPhoto is nice - but more something for the beginner and not the power user. I wouldn't want to try to have iPhoto crunch through my 140k of pictures and 6 TB of storage...

I am using windows so i prefer lightroom. Using its color label/selection/rating functions help to select photos for different purposes. and proper keywording the photos do help future seaches :)

For iPhoto, I used it for general purpose. For instance on those general shots that as good as PnS and general coverage for event or tour. More for memory than appreciations of the art of photography.

LR, which I have spent some time to explore. I think I could use for almost 80% for those serious photos. Yes, I can now ditch away Br.

For some special ones, I will use CS4 especially some of those actions that I previously created.

Now I will only keep these 3 apps for a while and see how it goes.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.