Iphone replacement myth

peterpan1975

Dec 23, 2007
Like to share some info I got regarding Iphone replacement by our local Telco. This information maybe old, or some might know about it or best some was not aware.

Today I send in my iphone to singtel for servicing. The phone battery is weak, can't hold the charge and the "home" button was kind of spoil. Its still under warranty so I believe replacement should not be any issue. But, no ... i learn something new today. Singtel staff use touch light to shine at some part of my phone.

HT3302-5.png

HT3302-06.png

The staff are looking at those 2 places. The charging point and the headphone jack. if EITHER one of those part show a red or pink, then the set is contaminate with water. Warranty instance void. No contest. IF want repair, one have to fork out $320 for replacement. (refer to pic above).

During tat time, one ang mo's was complain about this issue. He was asking how they know if its water, it might be just sweat. The manager come out and explain to him nicely about this issue. he suck thumb and pay for replacement.

Following are information i ask on the Singtel staff.

1) If i got sweaty hands and phone got sweat inside ---> warranty void
2) if i come out for cold place to hot place and there is condensation ----> filter not so easy turn color if its turn pink, warranty void
3) if i want to escalate to apple how ----> singtel will take photo of the phone, send pic to apple and take 2 to 3 weeks before result back. usually about 90% will void warranty.
4) how come local can't open the phone to inspect ----> its apple rule and regulation, they don't allow other ppl to open iphone. therefore only allow 1 to 1 replacement.

for those going to send in for replacement, do check first and get prap ... same goes to those who thinking of buying 2nd iphone, this apply too .... :p

***** following information was request by one of a fellow CSean asking me to share with everyone ************

Thanks for sharing :)

Will inform my firends who are using iPhone.

cool ...

Yeah. the 2 places they look for is called the LSI stands for, Liquid Submerssion Indicator. Think they want to catch those who accidentally dipped their phones into the water or has got it wet while they claimed they didn't. so.. keep your phones as dry as possible!! Don't think the indicator will turn red/pink that easily..

keep it really dry .... those who wearing iphone while jogging have to pay extra care now. as long it got wet .. thats it .. that poor ang mo really piss by apple's policy but there is nothing he can do. So he suck thumb lor.

I don't think it's Apple policy but rather if Singtel can do anything about it.

I had a friend who's iphone glass cover cracked 3 times and Starhub gave out a new/refurb set everytime. So just makes me wonder, how generous Singtel can be for something that you did not do.

***** following information was request by one of a fellow CSean asking me to share with everyone ************

knn like that also must mention.:sweat::sweat:

i had siemen s65 iirc the model, never drop and kana water splash, but after 1/2yr battery cant hold charge, still under warranty so bring for service, the guy over the counter open the h/p, inside also has a LSI that turned red. so i also kana suck thumb.;(;(

Last edited:

I had a friend who's iphone glass cover cracked 3 times and Starhub gave out a new/refurb set everytime. So just makes me wonder, how generous Singtel can be for something that you did not do.

wah!!!:bigeyes::bigeyes: ur friend is iphone jinx:bsmilie::bsmilie:

crack should not be any issue. maybe its know fact for bad material use. Anyway case by case lor.

knn like that also must mention.:sweat::sweat:

i had siemen s65 iirc the model, never drop and kana water splash, but after 1/2yr battery cant hold charge, still under warranty so bring for service, the guy over the counter open the h/p, inside also has a LSI that turned red. so i also kana suck thumb.;(;(

of course, have to give him credit keep bugging me to post it ...

LSI turn red in SG should be common cos of the high humidity, so what to do .. ur issue i also encounter b4 .. same lor .. siemen phone, i just snap the phone into 2 infront of the service manager and walk off. from that time i dont buy siemen phone anymore.

Thanks for the information. Even though you did not drop the iPhone into the toiletbowl or holding it with sweaty plam. Rain or storm will also wet the phone (I see Orchard road in the headphone jack :bsmilie:)

BTW, I like the technology "Liquid Submerssion Indicator" time to recommend it to my R&D department. :think:

Best way is to get THIS:thumbsup:

Recommended way of using the iPhone :

1) headphone must be plugged in at all times
2) charger must also be plugged in at all times, whether charging or not

:) :)

Recommended way of using the iPhone :

1) headphone must be plugged in at all times
2) charger must also be plugged in at all times, whether charging or not

:) :)

3) Keep the Iphone inside dry cabi when not in use. :bsmilie:

thats a good one .. let dry box dry the iphone when not in use :)

A friend of mine lagi worse.. Dropped the whole iphone into sea water. Indeed the phone indicates that it has soaked in water before.
LL so.. he paid for another new iphone.. Can't runaway.. :)

3) Keep the Iphone inside dry cabi when not in use. :bsmilie:

4) Keep iPhone in zipploc bag with silica gel or dry hippo (or is it wet hippo :p) ) when going shopping :)

On the other hand, got to be fair to the equipment supplier.

If they allow consumer to anyhow claim one-to-one replacement, then, the cost will go up sky-high. In the end, we will pay much higher for the same phone.

Following are information i ask on the Singtel staff.

1) If i got sweaty hands and phone got sweat inside ---> warranty void
2) if i come out for cold place to hot place and there is condensation ----> filter not so easy turn color if its turn pink, warranty void
3) if i want to escalate to apple how ----> singtel will take photo of the phone, send pic to apple and take 2 to 3 weeks before result back. usually about 90% will void warranty.
4) how come local can't open the phone to inspect ----> its apple rule and regulation, they don't allow other ppl to open iphone. therefore only allow 1 to 1 replacement.

wow, if that is the case, the telcos should have let us check first when we buy the phone, who knows if the LSI are already red when we receive the phone without realizing such things exist :dunno: