iPhone HDR can almost replace a DSLR

Do cameras with HDR capability a boon or bane?

Results are only viewable after voting.

hotwork77

Jun 21, 2009
1°19'37.70"N 103°47'39.19"E
hawkfinal.jpg

If you own an iphone 4, chances is that it now comes with a 5MP camera with HDR capabilities. For simplicity sake, we can now do away with post processing as every shot would come out nicely focused, well lighted etc.

What do you think? Would it make us "lazier" in terms of getting it right? :cool:

The skies looks wierd, and clouds looked abnormally darkened. I am not an iphone user, and I am not sure if the hdr is customerisable or straight out from shot. But definitely far from replacing my dslr or any of my processing workflow ..

* but for the occassional low res webcam / fb snap why not, very convenient.

Ryan

Low resoluiton, poor sharpness, no ability to tweak the HDR yourself, poor basic dynamic range...

Nope, not even close.

Also, why does eveyone thing the iPhone camera is so good when others have had this ability already? Cameraphones are not new.

Low resoluiton, poor sharpness, no ability to tweak the HDR yourself, poor basic dynamic range...

Nope, not even close.

Also, why does eveyone thing the iPhone camera is so good when others have had this ability already? Cameraphones are not new.

i second that

sometimes fanboys just need to go "OMG MY IPHONE CAN DO THIS"
when it's nothing new at all, and that other phones can do the same ages ago

but still as a compact, and as a PNS,i think the iphone camera is pretty good
just that the TS up-play it my a huge huge huge mile

i think phone cameras have come a long way, but they have not reached that level yet.

Even the Nokia N8, which trumps the Iphone by a long, long way, can only replace an entry-level PNS. No way the current version can replace a DSLR unless you are referring to one from ten years back.

But as technology goes, who knows what will happen in future?

Good! you have just managed to lower your expectations and saved a tidy sum of money by not buying a DSLR. ;)

it will, one day it'll replace DSLR, when people are carrying DSLR with capability of a hasselblad that is :bsmilie::bsmilie:

YES...

...for posting right away on facebook or twitter, and now on foursquare! :bsmilie:

Nope, not even close.

If I remember correctly, Sony A550 had that HDR capability. So it might be a matter of time when every brand will spot that technology as just one of the "lazy" settings. Who knows...I might be wrong. :cool:

The photograph you have taken may look alright. But, an iPhone is no where near a DSLR. i.e. the Dynamic range, the speed.

An iPhone may replace a DSLR for you but not for others. Different people have different demands.

Last edited:
Fan boys can make such remarks because:
1. They think IPhone apps are like god, and a layman photo editing software in the IPhone is so good.
2. They think that the IPhone camera is godlike.
3. They think that they can do anything with a IPhone.
4. They never think that the IPhone camera and layman photo editing software is nothing more than a lower end PNS function camera for Facebook.
5. They never seem anything in the outside world except on their IPhone screen.
6. They never think that they are fan boy.

I totally agree with many of you that iPhone 4 is not everything. And the camera really suck at time. But to some it's as good as having a pns in hand to take fantastic photo. U know that there are still alot of pax still are no pro or anywhere near a dslr because the user find it a troublesome to carry so many equipments or lug such heavy thing for travel.

Well just individuals hobby and demand on how a photo shld look like. I personally like the still image frm the iPhone when I dun have the $$ to buy a dslr or carry a cam.

Just some cents

I totally agree with many of you that iPhone 4 is not everything. And the camera really suck at time. But to some it's as good as having a pns in hand to take fantastic photo. U know that there are still alot of pax still are no pro or anywhere near a dslr because the user find it a troublesome to carry so many equipments or lug such heavy thing for travel.

Well just individuals hobby and demand on how a photo shld look like. I personally like the still image frm the iPhone when I dun have the $$ to buy a dslr or carry a cam.

Just some cents

I started the thread with one aim: whether a iphone camera with HDR capabilities would be nice to have especially it can supposedly take a HDR shot without processing. I'm not a iphone fanboy cos I'm a blackberry user.

When we walk around with a DSLR and snap a photo, some of us would still like to pp them like HDR, brighten, darken, improve highlights, adjust mid-tones etc. So when there's a simple alternative like a iphone that can do all the pp, wouldn't that feature be good to have? Seriously guys...you got to see what this nifty gadget can do before you thumb it down that DSLR is better. DSLR is always better but for those mom and pops not into photography, the iphone alternative provides a viable solution in getting that quick shot before losing the moment.

Those parents in K2 seeing their 6year old kid graduating and what you know....the next thing is they whip out the camera phone, not a DSLR. Only a rare parent would use a DSLR. Our fellow Bros here have given their piece and I respect that. However, nobody addressed the question I asked: Would it make us "lazier" in terms of getting it right?

Replace DSLR is no way but I believe for many people, it's good enough since most will just upload to FB. Extra features are always good. Don't think many of us will bring DSLR wherever we go but phone will always stick to us.

I do snap using my phone sometimes but it's impossible to go for a overseas tour without my real camera. Well, sometimes no fish prawn also good la. :bsmilie:

As for your question, it depends on individual. I believe it will affect somebody but it will not be me.

Last edited:
However, nobody addressed the question I asked: Would it make us "lazier" in terms of getting it right?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

It's a "half empty or half full glass ?" thingy !

You ask if auto HDR will make us "lazier" in terms of getting it right ?
I ask if auto HDR will make it "easier" for us in terms of getting it right ?

...sorry for the OT, nothing to do with Iphone here. ;)

I started the thread with one aim: whether a iphone camera with HDR capabilities would be nice to have especially it can supposedly take a HDR shot without processing. I'm not a iphone fanboy cos I'm a blackberry user.

When we walk around with a DSLR and snap a photo, some of us would still like to pp them like HDR, brighten, darken, improve highlights, adjust mid-tones etc. So when there's a simple alternative like a iphone that can do all the pp, wouldn't that feature be good to have? Seriously guys...you got to see what this nifty gadget can do before you thumb it down that DSLR is better. DSLR is always better but for those mom and pops not into photography, the iphone alternative provides a viable solution in getting that quick shot before losing the moment.

Those parents in K2 seeing their 6year old kid graduating and what you know....the next thing is they whip out the camera phone, not a DSLR. Only a rare parent would use a DSLR. Our fellow Bros here have given their piece and I respect that. However, nobody addressed the question I asked: Would it make us "lazier" in terms of getting it right?

er, i think iphone 4 is good to have when around, it's not shabby in terms of camera phone quality. especially when that's good light, i've been surprised a few times when it produces really quite decent pictures that can definitely hold up as 4R prints, maybe even 6R.

that said, i don't know if people will get 'lazier' for pp. i suspect the same trend will just continue, no matter how great the automatic tools get - the people who want a great degree of control over their shots will take the trouble to delve into the finest detail and tweak their photos manually; the people who don't really care will just let the camera process it for you. then there will be the oddballs who think they're being really special by having shots out of camera. :rolleyes:

this is the same since film days, it won't change anytime soon, regardless of how great hdr processing in-camera becomes, etc. this is because the camera is not a human, it can't think like a human, and even if it could, it won't necessarily get it right.

er, i think iphone 4 is good to have when around, it's not shabby in terms of camera phone quality. especially when that's good light, i've been surprised a few times when it produces really quite decent pictures that can definitely hold up as 4R prints, maybe even 6R.

that said, i don't know if people will get 'lazier' for pp. i suspect the same trend will just continue, no matter how great the automatic tools get - the people who want a great degree of control over their shots will take the trouble to delve into the finest detail and tweak their photos manually; the people who don't really care will just let the camera process it for you. then there will be the oddballs who think they're being really special by having shots out of camera. :rolleyes:

this is the same since film days, it won't change anytime soon, regardless of how great hdr processing in-camera becomes, etc. this is because the camera is not a human, it can't think like a human, and even if it could, it won't necessarily get it right.

I guess you got it right. There would be people who despite having a DSLR would use it like a pns. The rest of us would use it as an extension of our mind to bring out the beauty of what we see. Thanks Bro. :cool: