iPad - where to get, what to get

dimsim

May 22, 2004
District 12
Hi...

Thinking of getting an iPAD to surprise the Mrs. but have not been following the trend.

Anyone knows where's a good place to get one and ....what data package would be suitable?

I'm currently a Starhub subscriber, so....will there be any benefits as a hubber?

Thanks in advance.

Where to get? Any Apple store I guess.

But what to get? Personally, I'd say skip the iPad and go for the many 'clones' out there.

Here's my review of the Gome Flytouch ePad, which I bought back in June and, by now, better ones are out there.

LcSIE.jpg

CPU:VIA WM8505
RAM:256MB DDR2
Flash ROM:2GB
Screen:7" Resisitive Touch screen at 800*480(16:9)
Operating System:Android 1.6
Camera: 0.3 Megapixel (some have reported no camera in their units, but there's a slot)
Expansion memory:SD/SDHC/MMC up to 32GB
Network connectivity:Wifi or ethernet (RJ45)
Sensors: accelerometer (supports rotation)
Vibration: yes
Battery capacity:2400mah
Ports:USB 2.0 Host /USB 2.0 Device port/3.5 mm headphone jack
Sound: internal microphone and speakers

Pros:
Cheap
Accepts micro-SD upto 32GB
Available Firmware support/development
Plenty of app support available

Cons:
Resistive touch-screen
Android 1.6
Battery life is shorter than iPad
Back panel can get quite warm

Ultimately, it's the price that seals the deal. Also accepting upto micro-SD 32GB is quite a good but given the prohibitive prices of 16GB and above for micro-SD, most users would probably end up buying multiple 8GB cards. Although this tablet has only been in the market for a few months, there's already a pretty active forum of users discussing about it. Firmware development does exist and surprisingly, the distros themselves are also developing FW for this tablet which is a good thing. Finally, there are plenty of apps available for the android, many freeware although, like Apple, plenty of duds and crap although there are still plenty of gems to be found.

Unfortunately, Gome decided to go with a resistive touch-screen instead of a capacitative screen. But we may see newer versions upgrading their screens seeing that China seems to be launching new models every other month. Installed with Android 1.6, this tablet won't be able to handle full-Flash programs and, currently, its unlikely that the hardware will be able to support later versions through firmware upgrades. There have been reports of users experiencing shorter battery life than others although this could be down to use of apps. A new firmware (1.8.2 from 1.7.4) seems to have improved the battery life of the tablet considerably, by about 30%. Users should also install an 'app-killer' program to remove TSR (Terminate-Stay-Resident) programs as these hog up the memory and suck battery life as well. All in all, this ePad can run for about 3-5 hours.

So what's my conclusion? Let's face it. It's cheap. Yes, it's running only Android 1.6, has a resistive touch-screen and the battery life is shorter. But it's still cheap. And with what seems to be ongoing firmware support and plenty of apps available, this tablet is still able to hold its own. If you're not 'hard-up' for the iPad and can live without a tablet for a while more, adopt a wait and see approach. Many other brands are jumping on the tablet bandwagon now and prices can only go down. This may not necessarily be true for the iPad.

i also have this.. but my screen is brighter than gome.. :vhappy:
they seem to use the same electronics, then made by different manufacturers..

the speed is slow though.. flipping pdf page takes few seconds..

I use an iPad 64 G wifi + 3G and must say I have been enjoying the mobility and accessibility. If you already have a "broadband on mobile" then you can use the same plan on iPad for an additional Sgd 5 per month and a one time cost of approximate Sgd 40.(Based on Singtel)

At the end it boils down to what you want to do with it. :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Some of the shops in Sim Lim selling at $1320 for the 64gig Wifi. Bout $30 more than the officials dealer. Think it's quite a good price if you don't want to wait.

i also have this.. but my screen is brighter than gome.. :vhappy:
they seem to use the same electronics, then made by different manufacturers..

the speed is slow though.. flipping pdf page takes few seconds..

Yeah, the Gome screen isn't very bright, mine's on maximum brightness pretty much all the time.

PDF loading isn't too bad, using RepliGoReader. It's Reading Mode is pretty cool. It loads up the pdf and arranges the words to fit the width of the screen, taking into account paragraphs so the format is always nice. Takes about 1 to 2 seconds to load the next page, which is tolerable.

They just released a 1.9_88 firmware which should allow Android Market apk now. The 1.8.2 firmware was a considerable improvement over the 1.7.2 and 1.7.4. Battery life was much enhanced and screen was much more responsive.

Sorry, but I just can't see myself shelling out the price for an iPad when tablets like these are so cheap.

just buy it from apply store online, it takes 5 days to ship to you at your door step :p

MI at funan have stock for 64gb and 32gb 3G when I checked on Sat. 64gb 3G must buy apple care as a bundle.

Yeah, the Gome screen isn't very bright, mine's on maximum brightness pretty much all the time.

PDF loading isn't too bad, using RepliGoReader. It's Reading Mode is pretty cool. It loads up the pdf and arranges the words to fit the width of the screen, taking into account paragraphs so the format is always nice. Takes about 1 to 2 seconds to load the next page, which is tolerable.

They just released a 1.9_88 firmware which should allow Android Market apk now. The 1.8.2 firmware was a considerable improvement over the 1.7.2 and 1.7.4. Battery life was much enhanced and screen was much more responsive.

Sorry, but I just can't see myself shelling out the price for an iPad when tablets like these are so cheap.

Don't you worry that the company won't be in business next year and your support will go away and they'll leave you with critical bugs that will never be fixed?