IPA cleaning solvent

Status
Not open for further replies.

spmong

Aug 18, 2004
Chai Chee
Does anyone knows the alcohol content for IPA suitable to clean the camera and lenses?
Didn't seems to be able to buy IPA cleaning solution alone. It usually comes in set with blower, cleaning kits.

i think you can get IPA from guardian pharmacy..

but its pretty expensive. from what i know, you can get lab grade IPA much cheaper from some chemical company but they come in a tin, which is quite a lot if you just want to clean lenses.

Most of them, in fact all the IPA that I see selling in those camera shops did not state the percentage alcohol for IPA. Hmmm.. maybe some trade secret. ha..... The industrial one used in semiconductor is 99.9%, pharmacy one is around 70%.

i can get it for free at the office but i still don't use it. don't feel a need to, dry cloth is enough. :)

i think you can get IPA from guardian pharmacy..

but its pretty expensive. from what i know, you can get lab grade IPA much cheaper from some chemical company but they come in a tin, which is quite a lot if you just want to clean lenses.

Dun use those from the pharmacies.. they have other ingredients inside which may affect the lens coatings....

i think the ipa you get at the pharmacy is not very pure, it leaves a slight reside after cleaning, ive notice this when i was doing fiber optic termination. we tried to cut training costs by using pharmacy grade ipa and in some cases, the link didnt pass.

Does anyone knows the alcohol content for IPA suitable to clean the camera and lenses?
Didn't seems to be able to buy IPA cleaning solution alone. It usually comes in set with blower, cleaning kits.

Are you referring to Isopropyl Alcohol? If so, are you aware that at 70% concentration, Isopropyl Alcohol is capable of stripping the anti-static, anti-glare coating off of a CRT monitor? I've done this several times using the anti-septic wipes purchased from pharmacies.

_

guess I just have to buy from those camera shops. I may just end up with multiple blowers, and start to sell them here.... :))

CP selling Kodak lens cleaning solution. Just the solution by itself. Not bundled with others. I think it costs 8 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.