IP address : Help needed

ndroo

Staff member
Nov 22, 2003
www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
I'm using the fibre band from M1 + a wireless router at home. The IP address for the router is 192.168.0.1

All is running fine but I realize sometimes it takes a while before I am able to go online. When I am able to do so, I find in the network settings that my router's IP has become 175.156.192.1 etc. Sometimes when I see 192.168.0.1 being shown in the network settings ... I will not be able to go online and I've to wait or keep trying to 'renew DHCP lease'.

Sorry ... I'm blur about all these. Any help on what did I set wrong? Btw ... I can't access the router's admin at 175.156.192.1 (only the 192.168.0.1 works when I wanna go to the admin page).

Thanks in advance :)

175.156.192.1 Location & IP Address is M1 Ltd, S'pore.

I'm using the fibre band from M1 + a wireless router at home. The IP address for the router is 192.168.0.1

All is running fine but I realize sometimes it takes a while before I am able to go online. When I am able to do so, I find in the network settings that my router's IP has become 175.156.192.1 etc. Sometimes when I see 192.168.0.1 being shown in the network settings ... I will not be able to go online and I've to wait or keep trying to 'renew DHCP lease'.

Sorry ... I'm blur about all these. Any help on what did I set wrong? Btw ... I can't access the router's admin at 175.156.192.1 (only the 192.168.0.1 works when I wanna go to the admin page).

175.156.192.1 is the IP that M1 assigns to you
192.168.0.1 is internal IP your router, which will then assign a IP of 192.168.0.xx to your connected PC

192.168.0.1 is internal IP your router, which will then assign a IP of 192.168.0.xx to your connected PC

Oh thanks a lot. So it if takes quite a while to get the IP from M1 ... there ain't anything I can do?

If your router and modem on, you should have your IP already assigned to you by M1. You may have power wireless signal from router to your computer so it fails to give you an ip right away. Have you seen this issue when your computer is in the same room as the wireless router?

I have the same problem with you. Initially it is fine until like last year it give me such problem. I suspect its my router reaching its very old age... lol... how old is your router?

If your router and modem on, you should have your IP already assigned to you by M1. You may have power wireless signal from router to your computer so it fails to give you an ip right away. Have you seen this issue when your computer is in the same room as the wireless router?

My computer is in the study room while the router is in the living room. The problem is even when I'm using my iPod in the living room, sometimes it takes a long time (even if i keep doing the 'renew dhcp').

I have the same problem with you. Initially it is fine until like last year it give me such problem. I suspect its my router reaching its very old age... lol... how old is your router?

My router is new. Guess nothing to do with the age of the router?

are your devices getting connected to the router? (getting an IP from the router via DHCP, 192.168.0.xx)
if yes, and you can connect to 192.168.0.1 from your device, then the link between your device and the router is working fine. then the problem with not being able to connect to the internet will lie with the router / the connection between the router and M1.
Do make sure that your router has captured the IP that M1 has given.

For testing, its better you get a wired connection, so as to remove the factor of wireless problems.

Connect to your router config page to check your setting. (Preferable do this with a lan cable connected to the router directly)

I didn't use the M1 system before, but as far as networking is concerned, your wireless NIC shouldn't be getting an issued IP of 175.156.192.1 from the router. Most router if not reconfig has an address range of 192.168.0.XX

(Such device has a GUI that can be open in a normal browser. To enter, go command prompt and type ipconfig/all. Copy the default gateway address in your connected wireless/wired NIC to your browser should open it)

We still need you to be up and running with internet to mod CS ;p

After you access, try disable security (WEP, WPA, Mac Address filter, Inbuilt Firewall, any other I might miss) and see if the issue still persist. If it does, you might considering doing a site survey to check if signal strength is weak maybe due to interference.

Also in your wireless NIC, check the setting for your connection speed and power saving mode. (I have this issue as a technician when a notebook I issued complain slow connection in getting address from my DHCP server. After going up down left right, I found the guy NIC config is changed to 10mbps/ Half Duplex :mad:)

If all is done, time to visit M1 ;p

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Appreciate it.

So let's say I am connected (thru wifi) and can access the internet ... my IP (for the device I'm using) should be 192.168.0.XX instead of the 175.156.WHATEVER IP? Currently I am not getting any 192.168.0.XX when I can access the internet. :S

Check inside your router configuration, that is bridge mode or router mode. If that is in bridge mode, you cannot get internet via 192.168.0.xx instead of the 175.156.x.x. I hope my info will help you. ;)

Check inside your router configuration, that is bridge mode or router mode. If that is in bridge mode, you cannot get internet via 192.168.0.xx instead of the 175.156.x.x. I hope my info will help you. ;)

Ok will check that tonight. Yes I can't go on the internet if the IP is the 192.168.0.xx. Only when it assigns the 175.156.x.x. I can go online. The problem is sometimes it takes a long time to get assigned an IP like 175.156.x.x..

Ok will check that tonight. Yes I can't go on the internet if the IP is the 192.168.0.xx. Only when it assigns the 175.156.x.x. I can go online. The problem is sometimes it takes a long time to get assigned an IP like 175.156.x.x..

Normally if it's taking a long time to assign the IP, it's the fault of your router...

Whether can go Internet or not, u still should be able to get the 192 network as this is assign by router's dhcp server. My guess is, there could be interference from ur neighbor, try assigning another range, or worse ur router dhcp services hang, rebooting the router might help in this case. If u can enter ur router configuration, try maximize it's strength. These are the few things that I can think of.

There are a couple of things to take note of:
  1. Some routers will assign the IP address provided by the ISP to the device if the DMZ mode is set. In this mode, all the incoming and outgoing requests are forwarded to that particular device only unless otherwise specified in the router's configuration. Routers such as 2Wire will observe this kind of behavior. However if the above mode was not set to any particular device, you should be obtaining an internal IP address that begins in a similar range as your router. An example will be router IP 192.168.1.1 and subsequent devices will be from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.255, depending on the number of connections allowed in the DHCP settings which will auto assign IP addresses to the clients.
  2. Always place the router at a different location, preferably away from those equipments that will cause disruption to the signal.
  3. If need be, change the wireless channel if there are other wireless devices such as cordless phone etc nearby to reduce the possibility of a disruption. This option can be accessed in the wireless configuration page of the router.

Thanks for all the replies. Appreciate it.

So let's say I am connected (thru wifi) and can access the internet ... my IP (for the device I'm using) should be 192.168.0.XX instead of the 175.156.WHATEVER IP? Currently I am not getting any 192.168.0.XX when I can access the internet. :S
Which router are you using anyway?

Maybe try flushing the dns cache? ipconfig /flushdns

I do notice that sometimes my desktop fails to pick up an ip, but i think that's related to the intereference from the TV next to my wifi router.