Investing in a FLASH

KitKatKiat

Jan 9, 2012
Singapore, Punggol
twitter.com
Hey guys. What flash should I get that I'll be able to use in diverse situations? I'm thinking of buying an external flash for Macro photography/portraits. I was thinking of the Nissin (I forgot the model ...... but it was around $200?) or a youngnuo 565/560.
The shop owner told me that the nissin was "comparable" to the Canon speedlites, so I'm in a dilemna of whether to get it. :think:

What I'm using: Canon 600D

Budget: $100-250? (I dont want a manual flash though ...)

Or would it be better if I inject abit more cash and snatch up a Canon Speedlite 430EX II (around $320?) from the BnS section?

Thanks!!

Just inject the abit more cash on the Canon 430 or 580 and be done with it.

Nissin flashes are not bad but the reliability is not as good as original flashes.

Just inject the abit more cash on the Canon 430 or 580 and be done with it.

Is the Canon 430 versatile? Can I use it for Macro as well as portraits?

Nissin flashes are not bad but the reliability is not as good as original flashes.

I see ....so it's either nissin or canon 430 for me hmm...

Is the Canon 430 versatile? Can I use it for Macro as well as portraits?
No comments on the usage, but I'm so far, happy with my Nissin DI622 MK2

I see ....so it's either nissin or canon 430 for me hmm...
Refer to post #2 when you read too much reviews into Nissin 622 vs Canon 430.

save abit more, invest in 580 if possible. it's not something you will regret investing.

Any limitation for nissin as compared to canon speed lite?

Any limitation for nissin as compared to canon speed lite?

I have a Canon 580EX II and Nissin Di622

the nissin is a great flash itself: cheap and light and good.... however the only limitation is the recycle rate

if you shoot fast, then the Nissin is not for you.

the recycle time needed to power up fully after each shot is slower than the 580EX II

however for that price, it's a great flash to have

You may want to read up on YN 565 too, it had solid specs when I first read about it. But since I have already got my 622, so I didn't bother too much about it.

*IIRC, YN565 have crop body detection and will zoom accordingly, this is something I believe is only available on propitiatory models (e.g. 430, 580)*

I'm currently using YN565 and I'm quite satisfied with its power & functions. However, I don't have any experience with other flashes so I can't give u a comparison here.