inverting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diosmin450mg

Aug 15, 2008
Hi, I tried searching inverting lens but nothing came up.

So what do you mean or how do you invert lens?

I believe it's for a closer shot for macro photography, am i right?

it means either :

1) using a adapter, screw thread 1 side, camera mount on the other side. only usable for slr & dslr.
so you screw this adapter to front of lens like a filter. after that, you reverse mount your lens, ie, rear element of lens now becomes front.

2) using a adapter, male thread to male thread, size of thread can be the same or different. usable on compact digital with lens that can mount filter or via an filter extension tube, as well as slr & dslr.
so you screw on the adapter to the lens of the camera, than you reverse another lens and screw it onto the adapter, which in this case, has a male thread exposed.

It is call Reverse Lens. :)

Heed thy words! The Macro Expert hath Spoken!

:bsmilie:

Do note that you can't use auto focus OR manual focus, so you have to move the camera back and forth till you find the right focal length.

Heed thy words! The Macro Expert hath Spoken!

:bsmilie:

Do note that you can't use auto focus OR manual focus, so you have to move the camera back and forth till you find the right focal length.

You can actually focus slightly by zooming (if you have reversed a zoom lens)

oh alright thx a lot!
if you cant focus then it'd be quite troublesome then? lol.

hope its clearer for you this way

some old pics

8f7e11fd.jpg

ff496c48.jpg

what can it do?

40f793d0.jpg

(resized)

Yes it's called reverse-macro photography. I use an 85mm f/1.8 and hold a 50mm f/1.8II in front.

Here's what it can do:
What you see is about 1cm square.

Taken from my thread (Link):
Wow, lots more people asking how I did it hehh.. Here's how. Excuse the OOF 2nd shot; my dad isn't a very well versed photog.

85mm f/1.8 - Set to minimum focusing distance (85cm):
lens1fk3.jpg

50mm f/1.8II - Set to infinity (focusing portion totally rotated in):
lens2yc0.jpg

Hold them together like so:
setup2dy0.jpg

This is how it looks from the front:
setup3mc7.jpg

Cheers
Zexun

Yes it's called reverse-macro photography. I use an 85mm f/1.8 and hold a 50mm f/1.8II in front.

Here's what it can do:

Cheers
Zexun

Please pardon my correction, technically there are no such term as "reverse-macro photography"

There are only macro photography using reverse lens (shown by bro psychobiologist), and btw the method you shown here is marco photography using stack lenses.

:)

Last edited:

Here's what it can do:

Taken from my thread (Link):

Cheers
Zexun

woh woh woh
scarey seeing the eye so close
yet so cool

woh woh!!!

Get a Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 micro, tried it before, the resolving power is much better than what the 24-70 f2.8 can do.

Don't mind slight OT, can this be done with 50mm and 55-250?

Please pardon my correction, technically there are no such term as "reverse-macro photography"

There are only macro photography using reverse lens (shown by bro psychobiologist), and btw the method you shown here is marco photography using stack lenses.

:)

I stand corrected, thanks =) However I don't believe this is called stacking, it's definitely like you said, reverse lens macro photography.

tried 55-250 + 50mm for my friend.. didn't get good results.

Cheers
Zexun

I stand corrected, thanks =) However I don't believe this is called stacking, it's definitely like you said, reverse lens macro photography.

tried 55-250 + 50mm for my friend.. didn't get good results.

Cheers
Zexun

Reverse lens use only the lens plus a adapter.

Stacking reverses the short lens as a CU filter. It's becomes more of a close up filter and the magnification increases with the ratio.

50 : 100 = 2 x mag
50 : 200 = 4 x mag

Reverse lens use only the lens plus a adapter.

Stacking reverses the short lens as a CU filter. It's becomes more of a close up filter and the magnification increases with the ratio.

50 : 100 = 2 x mag
50 : 200 = 4 x mag

Ah I see. Learnt something new today. Cheers bro =)

awesome.
k but i only got a kit lens for now haha so won't be able to take any of those. wait till budget a bit more la hor.

how much does this reverse adapter thing cost approx?

a friend lend me his macro adapter or something. just screw in front like a filter and shoot. no nid reverse. this would be less effective then actual reversing no?

I just tried with my 55-250 and 50mm. Quite workable. Just that i cant hold the 50mm steady with my shaky hands. Ordered a male-male coupling ring. Hope that helps when it arrives..

Anywa, just to ask, Should i set my 55-250 to focus to the longest or the shortest?

I just tried with my 55-250 and 50mm. Quite workable. Just that i cant hold the 50mm steady with my shaky hands. Ordered a male-male coupling ring. Hope that helps when it arrives..

Anywa, just to ask, Should i set my 55-250 to focus to the longest or the shortest?

Longest for maximum magnification ratio...

Status
Not open for further replies.