Invasion of Malaya: Adnan's heroic exploits at Bukit Chandu live on

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore

FOR 48 hours, the Japanese were held back in what has now come to be called the Battle of Bukit Chandu.

Members of the Japanese 18th Army were frustrated that they could not get past the defenders of Pasir Panjang ridge.

Led by the Malay Regiment's Lt Adnan Saidi, the 42-strong contingent of defenders fought like wounded tigers.

The 27-year-old Adnan had joined the regiment when he was 18 and had enjoyed a stellar military career, working his way up from a mere private. He had been posted to Singapore in 1941, and when the rumblings of war had grown more disquieting, had sent his pregnant wife and two children back to Selangor.

It was to be the last they would see of each other.

When the first attack on Bukit Chandu came, the Japanese soldiers were said to have been dressed as Punjabi soldiers.

The sharp-eyed Adnan, however, was not fooled and was said to have personally killed 22 enemy soldiers that day.

On Feb 14, 1942 -- the day before the fall of Singapore -- the regiment's positions were finally taken by the Japanese. In the final push, the enemy used artillery and mortar fire.

Those who were not killed outright were executed. Adnan was among them.

He was reported to have been put into a gunny sack and hung upside down from a tree for Japanese soldiers to use as bayonet practice. His body was never found.

The final hand-to-hand combat between the opposing forces -- one a full army and the other a mere company of soldiers -- is etched in a mural at a nearby bungalow which has an exhibit called "Glimpses of Bukit Chandu".

Among the things visitors can see is a sound and light show depicting the final battle. Also included is a roll of honour of the fallen heroes.

Adnan is not much remembered now, unless you happen to be a member of the armed forces, or a present or former student of SM Lt Adnan in Kajang, where he was born. There is also a road in Seremban named after him.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wednesday/National/2476192/Article/index_html

Been there last year...

DSC01076.jpg

Glimpses of Bukit Chandu

But sad to say youth of the last couple of decades, including mine, remembers Valentine's day more than the fall of Singapore or the Heroics of Lt Adnan on the 13-15th Feb.

FOR 48 hours, the Japanese were held back in what has now come to be called the Battle of Bukit Chandu.

Members of the Japanese 18th Army were frustrated that they could not get past the defenders of Pasir Panjang ridge.

Led by the Malay Regiment's Lt Adnan Saidi, the 42-strong contingent of defenders fought like wounded tigers.

The 27-year-old Adnan had joined the regiment when he was 18 and had enjoyed a stellar military career, working his way up from a mere private. He had been posted to Singapore in 1941, and when the rumblings of war had grown more disquieting, had sent his pregnant wife and two children back to Selangor.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wednesday/National/2476192/Article/index_html

The Japanese Army are well-trained and battle-harded in China. They are very determined and prepared to die a glory death for our Emperor. In a night attack the bayonets were covered with mud to prevent reflection, the rifles were not loaded so the element of surprise would be lost.

The 42-strong contingent of defenders were only an up-sized platoon, I doubt the fighting abilities of them to hold the Japanese 18th Army as they were among the best during the WW2.

Bro Jukon,

It's a no-brainer a 42 men will not be able to hold their position against a battle-hardened Empirial Japanese Army.

Given that situation Lt Adnan and his men still decide to hold position and fight. They knew their fate but yet they fought on instead of running.

Pity the Japanese army decide to torture those capture before killing them, how coward and dishonourable they are against a brave advesary.

It not about the numbers but the bravery against the odds. Can't imagine the numbers of Japanese soldiers killed that day.

Imagine with that kind of bravery and if the ratio of the Malayan Regiment soldier to Japanese soldiers is 1:1, things might be different.

On top of that him being a muslim, it's a true calling of Jihad and he died a Syahid....guaranteed place in heaven.

Last edited:
Bro Jukon,

It's a no-brainer a 42 men will not be able to hold their position against a battle-hardened Empirial Japanese Army.

Given that situation Lt Adnan and his men still decide to hold position and fight. They knew their fate but yet they fought on instead of running.

Pity the Japanese army decide to torture those capture before killing them, how coward and dishonourable they are against a brave advesary.

It not about the numbers but the bravery against the odds. Can't imagine the numbers of Japanese soldiers killed that day.

Imagine with that kind of bravery and if the ratio of the Malayan Regiment soldier to Japanese soldiers is 1:1, things might be different.

On top of that him being a muslim, it's a true calling of Jihad and he died a Syahid....guaranteed place in heaven.

If these 42 men are Gukkas from Nepal I will believe their bravery resistance against the Japanese. They dun even have the face to return to their hometowns if they fail the recuritment of the British Army.

Anything about military affairs can be discussed in Kopitiam but not religion.

This is my view if I am wrong I am sorry.

Japanese practices Busido and they keep "Swordman Honour". The torture acts were done by their Korean citizens in the Kempetan or the "Military Police".
I have hearded many stories from anti-Japanese Resistance Force.

Unfortunately, you are misplaced in your disbelieved in the bravery of Lt Adnan and his men.

Anan was indeed a hero who fought to the last. Perhaps a visit to Bt Chedu and you understand. While there is some truth in the invlovement of the Koreans MPs in the POW camp. The atrocities committed by Japanese soldiers during WWII are well documented, the Japs then were no angels.

In fact, immediately after the battle of Bt Chendu, the Jap who were so angered by the resistance went to Alexander Hospital and massacred, the doctors and staff there.

My parents have a fair share of suffering during WWII in Syonan-to (Singapore which was renamed by the Jap after the invasion). My grandfather-in-law was labeled a resistance was taken as a prisoner to the death railway camp in the Thai-Burmese border (he died there).

I do not dispute the bravery of the Gurhkas in general, but there are also others who can stand tall and proud among them and Lt Adnan and his men are certainly the ones.

Do also visit Changi Chapel Museum and go thru the articles or exhibits near the end (next to the bookstore) there are accounts of bravery of soldiers and ordinary ppl documented.

Last edited:
Japanese practices Busido and they keep "Swordman Honour". The torture acts were done by their Korean citizens in the Kempetan or the "Military Police".

Too bad you are in denial of the Japanese Army WW2 atrocasies.

Anyway 2 A-bombs changed history.

The Japanese Army are well-trained and battle-harded in China. They are very determined and prepared to die a glory death for our Emperor. In a night attack the bayonets were covered with mud to prevent reflection, the rifles were not loaded so the element of surprise would be lost.

The 42-strong contingent of defenders were only an up-sized platoon, I doubt the fighting abilities of them to hold the Japanese 18th Army as they were among the best during the WW2.

If these 42 men are Gukkas from Nepal I will believe their bravery resistance against the Japanese. They dun even have the face to return to their hometowns if they fail the recuritment of the British Army.

Anything about military affairs can be discussed in Kopitiam but not religion.

This is my view if I am wrong I am sorry.

The Japanese were invaders. I dont see anything glorious in "dying for the Japanese Emperor". What was glorious was that the 42 men Malay Regiment delayed the Japanese attack by 48 hours and not the Japanese succeeded after 48 hours.

Blaming the Korean conscripts in Japanese army for the atrocities is burying the head in the sand like ostrich and ignoring actual history. I suppose Japanese school books did not teach history as it is but had selective amnesia. Up till today, the Japanese refuse to believe their responsibilities for WW2 but believe they were the victims of American bombs instead. How convenient, how ignorant.

Last edited:
Jukon,

Do some research about the Battle of Pasir Panjang before coming to your ill-advised conclusions. It is not impossible for a company sized force to hold off a divisional thrust (purely infantry based) under such terrain as what LT. Adnan and his soldiers were in.

Secondly, atrocities committed by auxillary units comprising of ethnic Koreans are not purely down to any presumed lack of combat discipline, but rather, at the direction of their Japanese superior officers.

If you had used the Taiwanese example of Finlandisation syndrome amongst the Taiwanese-Japanese units, there might still have been some academically debatable point of contention.. however, any decent academic research will show that Korean atrocities have always been attributable to a complicit lack of supervision and military discipline on the part of higher commands.

Cultural relativism cuts no ice here, the IJA committed war crimes on our soil, period.

Last edited:

Hi,

Are u Japanese?

:)

Unfortunately, you are misplaced in your disbelieved in the bravery of Lt Adnan and his men.

In fact, immediately after the battle of Bt Chendu, the Jap who were so angered by the resistance went to Alexander Hospital and massacred, the doctors and staff there.

My parents have a fair share of suffering during WWII in Syonan-to (Singapore which was renamed by the Jap after the invasion). My grandfather-in-law was labeled a resistance was taken as a prisoner to the death railway camp in the Thai-Burmese border (he died there).

I do not dispute the bravery of the Gurhkas in general, but there are also others who can stand tall and proud among them and Lt Adnan and his men are certainly the ones.

Do also visit Changi Chapel Museum and go thru the articles or exhibits near the end (next to the bookstore) there are accounts of bravery of soldiers and ordinary ppl documented.

Ya civilian are the people that suffered most during the war.

The Chinese Resistance Forces laid a well-planned defence along the northern coast. A large number of Japanese were killed or burned alive. They got bloody and started killing innocent civilians from Woodland to 10 milestone BT Road. When they reached Alexander Hospital they did bloody killing & raping. I know soldiers have no right to go trigger-happy and they should paid for their CRIMES. In wars soldiers are also victims they suffered mentally and physically.
I dun doubt the bravery of Lt Adnan and his men, whether surrender or fight to the last men the Japanese still killed them because they were bloody at that moment.

Hi,

Are u Japanese?

:)

I am a Singapore Chinese, born in Singapore, going school in Singapore & have completed my NSF and reservisit.

Actually I does not have any hatred or admiration for any soldier be it Japanese, American or British. What I have written is just my view and no personal attack. We are fortunate to be born in the peaceful times.

Ya civilian are the people that suffered most during the war.

The Chinese Resistance Forces laid a well-planned defence along the northern coast. A large number of Japanese were killed or burned alive. They got bloody and started killing innocent civilians from Woodland to 10 milestone BT Road. When they reached Alexander Hospital they did bloody killing & raping. I know soldiers have no right to go trigger-happy and they should paid for their CRIMES. In wars soldiers are also victims they suffered mentally and physically.
I dun doubt the bravery of Lt Adnan and his men, whether surrender or fight to the last men the Japanese still killed them because they were bloody at that moment.

I am a Singapore Chinese, born in Singapore, going school in Singapore & have completed my NSF and reservisit.

The "Chinese Resistence Force" you are referring to is actually the Dalforce http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalforce form by Lt Col John Dalley on 25 Dec 1941.

Next, the Defence of the North West part of Singapore (facing Johor) was placed under the 22nd Bde of Australian Imperial Force together with them was the Dalforce. The area covered was Kranji, Lim Chu Kang Sarimbun including the coast.

The inferno you are referring to was that of the Japanese Imperial Gurads moving up Kranji River being caught by the flaming oil for the oil tanks there. Yes there are documentation of the Dalforce fighting there and also in the skirmishes in the Bt Timah Battle. But to credit them entirely for the "Kranji river inferno" and "well planned defence" is too far fetch (though I would wish it was that), but the fact is that it is not so.

As for the Alexandra Hospital, let me correct your views on that. The fact is that:

1. Pasir Panjang Ridge(then) controls the key access to the city and the Alexandra area, mainly the ammo depots, key installations and the Hospital (Alexandra). This is where the 1st and 2nd Battalions of Malay Regiment was tasked to defend. And hence Lt Adnan come into the picture.

2. It was after the fall of Pasir Panjang ridge that the Jap swept down eastwards and stormed ALEXANDRA HOSPTIAL in pursuit of the remnants of the Malay Regt and Indian troops retreating from the Jurong Line along Ayer Rajar road. (Not from the Jap from the Kranji corridor)

3. The Jap advancing and fighting at Pasir Panjang area were from the 18 Div not the Imperial Guards (the ones at Kranji). The co-relation of Dalforce and Alexandra Hospital is abit far off.

Hence it was most probable that the massacre at Alexandra Hospital was cause more by the anger and set back at Pasir Panjang ridge not the incident far back in Kranji. incident.

Last edited:
The "Chinese Resistence Force" you are referring to is actually the Dalforce http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalforce form by Lt Col John Dalley on 25 Dec 1941.

Next, the Defence of the North West part of Singapore (facing Johor) was placed under the 22nd Bde of Australian Imperial Force together with them was the Dalforce. The area covered was Kranji, Lim Chu Kang Sarimbun including the coast.

The inferno you are referring to was that of the Japanese Imperial Gurads moving up Kranji River being caught by the flaming oil for the oil tanks there. Yes there are documentation of the Dalforce fighting there and also in the skirmishes in the Bt Timah Battle. But to credit them entirely for the "Kranji river inferno" and "well planned defence" is too far fetch (though I would wish it was that), but the fact is that it is not so.

As for the Alexandra Hospital, let me correct your views on that. The fact is that:

1. Pasir Panjang Ridge(then) controls the key access to the city and the Alexandra area, mainly the ammo depots, key installations and the Hospital (Alexandra). This is where the 1st and 2nd Battalions of Malay Regiment was tasked to defend. And hence Lt Adnan come into the picture.

2. It was after the fall of Pasir Panjang ridge that the Jap swept down eastwards and stormed ALEXANDRA HOSPTIAL in pursuit of the remnants of the Malay Regt and Indian troops retreating from the Jurong Line along Ayer Rajar road. (Not from the Jap from the Kranji corridor)

3. The Jap advancing and fighting at Pasir Panjang area were from the 18 Div not the Imperial Guards (the ones at Kranji). The co-relation of Dalforce and Alexandra Hospital is abit far off.

Hence it was most probable that the massacre at Alexandra Hospital was cause more by the anger and set back at Pasir Panjang ridge not the incident far back in Kranji. incident.

Thank for your info maybe I miss out something because I has stopped reading all this books years ago. Lt Adnan and his men had done a great service to country and had died in the course of service. The war site was to remember the courage and sacrifices of Lt Adnan and his men. But why he is not double promoted to Major posthumous?

“ We were not given hand grenades or hand-held machine guns. Each of us was given a water bottle, a small mat which we wrapped around our waist, a bayonet and 24 bullets... Our female members were only responsible for first aid, cooking, relaying messages and other simple tasks.
The British military did not give us more bullets as they feared that we would hide the extra bullets. We knew we had to treasure every bullet and not to fire carelessly as they were the only means of protecting our lives. But we were not expert marksmen and 24 bullets were definitely not enough for us to go on the battlefield. The British military did not trust us — Choo Kim Seng, Dalforce veteran

:thumbsd:The British actually never ever trust the Chinese Resistance Force. The British never led them on operation:nono:

The unit suffered severe casualties due to lack of training, equipment and armament.

the Japanese despised the resistance fighters, deciding to use them as an excuse for their treatment of the Chinese population, although this behaviour was instigated by the Kempeitai rather than by General Tomoyuki Yamashita.

:thumbsd:Some sources said British only arm the Force at the very last day with some outdated weapons. Their main objective is other that fighting the Japanese.:nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.