Introduction

mettalong

Mar 11, 2012
Hi all ,
I am new to photography although I read about it but nothing is better than personal experience. I recently brought a Canon EOS 600D that comes with EF-S 18-55 IS 2 Len. I think one len is not enough and would like to get another one that compliment my existing one. Which len you think I should get? As I am interested in strobist photography, next I would like to get a speedlight and a shutter cable.

Thanks you.

Hi all ,
I am new to photography although I read about it but nothing is better than personal experience. I recently brought a Canon EOS 600D that comes with EF-S 18-55 IS 2 Len. I think one len is not enough and would like to get another one that compliment my existing one. Which len you think I should get? As I am interested in strobist photography, next I would like to get a speedlight and a shutter cable.

Thanks you.

I would recommend that you try out and shoot with your 18-55mm lens first. Don't immediately jump into getting extra lenses if you do not know what you are lacking. I am sure people would have told you to get the 50mm f1.8 (which is pretty cheap and sharp and fast), but if you ask me... I would say, nah... forget about that lens for the time being.

Get the lighting equipment and you'd figure out what lens to get next. Every lens is made with a purpose, and it is up to you to determine if you need those other lenses.

Hi and welcome to CS.

What is it that you plan to shoot that you have the idea that your one lens is insufficient?

You might want to furbish more details and check out available options and posts in CS first, like:
"I think the range is too short for me to shoot <insert subject here>, I am looking for a longer lens. What will be a good lens for me to get? Will 70-200 be sufficient? Should I try 3rd party lenses from Sigma?"

This might help to get better advice. :)

Same as what others suggest. Go out and shoot with the lens, then you know what is lacking. It could be a wide angle, telephoto, fast prime, macro, etc. Only you would know.

Then again, if you are darn rich, go ahead buy all of them, next thing you know is that too many lens and too heavy, start selling here which I don't think the folks would mind.
:)

I have also gotten the EOS 600D 18-55 a few weeks ago. Prior to that, I have been using a Sony DSLR. I would say that if you want to get a lens, get the 50mm f/1.8. I should probably be getting mine soon as well. However, as with what the others have mentioned, shoot with the 18-55 first. There's a reason why it's the most common kit lens around ;D

Last edited:
Go shoot with yr kit lens first...Practice more often & shoot anything that u like,be it landscape,street photography or so_Only upon when the kit lens is limiting u in sone ways,like u need a longer reach,then the 55-250mm is an ideal lens for beginners.Take it one step at a time.Cheers!

Hi all ,

Thanks you.

Hi, and Welcome to CS...

DON'T think that 18-55 is not enough, change that mindset alittle to "THINK what the 18-55 can do". Get what you need after you think that 18-55 really cannot make it...Thinking what you think you need is the shortest way to burn big holes in pockets. Especially deadly if your pockets are not very deep :p

You will learn to appreciate what the new equipment can do after you have hit the bottleneck of the existing :)

Welcome to CS,

Your 18-55 i sufficient at the moment. slowly upgrade it as you gain more knowledge and experience.

Thanks guys for sharing. For strobist photography, I need to get a speedlight(not sure must get compatible speedlight to with my Canos EOS 600 or any brand will do)I intend to shoot 2 products indoor). For Outdoor I am going to shoot during the vesak day is in Por Kar See Temple. For lenses it is advisable to get second hand lense on sale in Peninsula Plaza and lastly I also wish to get your advice on stigma lense which I heard is cheaper? Cheers!

Thanks guys for sharing. For strobist photography, I need to get a speedlight(not sure must get compatible speedlight to with my Canos EOS 600 or any brand will do)I intend to shoot 2 products indoor). For Outdoor I am going to shoot during the vesak day is in Por Kar See Temple. For lenses it is advisable to get second hand lense on sale in Peninsula Plaza and lastly I also wish to get your advice on stigma lense which I heard is cheaper? Cheers!

1. You need to get a Canon Speedlite or a compatible 3rd party one. Without a compatible one you are only stuck with manual control, or worse, no control of the flash output.

2. If you intend to get a 2nd hand lens, I would suggest checking out the Buy & Sell section on Clubsnap instead of heading down to Peninsular, which is usually more expensive. And the 3rd party brand is Sigma, not "Stigma". There are other notable 3rd party branded lens manufacturers such as Tamron and Tokina. 3rd party branded lenses are cheaper but usually you sacrifice the build and/or image quality - although it can be quite negligible for the amount of money saved. It really depends on how you work around the limitations of the 3rd party lens.

Last edited:
Welcome to CS!

Apart from the suggestions above me, don't forget to check the "Equipment Discussions" sub-forum to read postings about many different brand of lenses (and other photography products).

Hi Ah Pao, Thanks for sharing. Recently I brought a nissin flashlight through the recommendation a photo shop in Peninsula. Does it goes well with my canon 600D?

Nissin digital Mark 2 Di622

There are canon and nikon versions in nissin di 622 mk ii. Which one did you buy?

mettalong said:
Hi Ah Pao, Thanks for sharing. Recently I brought a nissin flashlight through the recommendation a photo shop in Peninsula. Does it goes well with my canon 600D?

Should be ok, just get the correct make