Introducing Coolpix3

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyfoo

Jan 18, 2002
North
willyfoo.com
Wow... the cameras look good.. especially the Coolpix 4500, looks like compatible with the 9xx series... :)

Geez.. and this has to be announced just before the D100 is released..

http://www.nikonusa.com/coolpix/splash.html

Oh... I haven't gotten past the splash page yet... server too busy... too many people going in??

wow..the Coolpix 5700 looks great!!

it looks like fuji 6900Z...from far i tot it is a SLR

8x optical zoom,
5MP CCD,
swivel LCD (like G2),
build in speedlite with hotshoe for external flash,
magnesium alloy body,
macro at 1.2 inches,
RAW mode
continous shooting at 3fps
Best Shot Selector (BSS) which automatically selects the sharpest image from a series of consecutive shots

this one look like Sony F707's greatest enemy

25504_360.jpg

Preview by dpreivew

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0205/02052904coolpix5700.asp
(but i hate that lens which will move in and out)

Sample shots
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0205/02052905coolpixsamples.asp

IMHO, the new coolpixes aren't very much improvements over the exisiting ones except for the increase in megapixels and optical zoom. :cool:

Originally posted by chaotic
IMHO, the new coolpixes aren't very much improvements over the exisiting ones except for the increase in megapixels and optical zoom. :cool:

hmm.... what sort of improvements were you expecting?

Aren't most new digicams like that? Including the Canon D60? :) Things like faster AF, etc are a bit harder to implement on consumer/prosumer digicams, unfortunately.

Regards
CK

Aren't most new digicams like that? Including the Canon D60? Things like faster AF, etc are a bit harder to implement on consumer/prosumer digicams, unfortunately.

True. I just hope that they fix the basic problems like 995's inability to auto white balance in indoor lighting and maybe ways to map out hotpixels by the user themselves without sending back to manufacturer.

I still wish they release a firmware update for the cp995 instead of releasing even more camera models. But I think that's wishful thinking. They have made my money and now it's time to make even more.

:bsmilie:

Since I am not that rich, guess I have to wait for a few new generations before there's a justification to upgrade. For me, I also hope that the consumer digital cameras will offer more control over the pictures, perhaps a focus ring! because I find it almost impossble to judge the exact focus distance and set it. Guess I have too much expectations...

:p

True. I just hope that they fix the basic problems like 995's inability to auto white balance in indoor lighting and maybe ways to map out hotpixels by the user themselves without sending back to manufacturer.

I still wish they release a firmware update for the cp995 instead of releasing even more camera models. But I think that's wishful thinking. They have made my money and now it's time to make even more.

:bsmilie:

Since I am not that rich, guess I have to wait for a few new generations before there's a justification to upgrade. For me, I also hope that the consumer digital cameras will offer more control over the pictures, perhaps a focus ring! because I find it almost impossble to judge the exact focus distance and set it. Guess I have too much expectations...

:p

Your solution is a digital SLR like the D100. :) I don't know about the 995, but my 950 auto white balances in most situations including mixed lighting pretty well. I had also hoped they made some improvements to the 950 firmware but they came up with the 990 and 995 instead. ;p

Judging distance is not too bad, the inherent DoF of such digicams are usually very big, so little errors are not so apparent. I frequently use distance judging on my 950 when the light is insufficient for it to AF, or when I want to overcome the slow AF. Unfortunately, the 5700 has removed this distance scale. :(

Regards
CK

Originally posted by kongg
Willy!!!!!!!sell yr 707 and get the Nikon!!!!!

Will probably still keep the 707... and pass it on... It's still a heck of a good camera...

Status
Not open for further replies.