Intro to new range of tripods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Jan 24, 2002
Singapore
8dennis8.fotki.com
Was at my favorite photo shop (TK Foto) today and came across a new range of tripod.
One where I have been looking high and low for and could not find locally.
Found it here and immediately start to unpack one and scrutinise it.
Does Cullman magic rings a bell for nostalgia.
Yes it is the folding tripod, one that can fold flat without all the bulk of a normal tripod.

The Sirui S-2205
Sirui_Sseries-vi.jpg

After a few hours of playing with it below are some brief observations.
It is very well finished and constructed. Sturdy and is light (Must be the carbon).
I opted for the G-10 ball head although initially I thought I would used it with my other Markins Q3.
The G-10 is a very light ball head with some kind of fiction lock and adjustments.
The head is very well constructed and is very good value for money.
Tested it with a D700 and a 17-35mm lens and is good enough without any stress on the head and tripod.
The actions are smooth and the locking mechanism is pretty good (like a Gitzo one, must be copy) but I did find the legs opening and closing to be a little stiff.
It also allow one leg to be removed and used as a monopod like the Cullman do.
Legs also have spike if needed.
All in all it is very good value for money and is a good alternative to the Gitzo if you are on a lower budget.
I think Gitzo will need to be more innovative if they want to hold on to their title. China manufacturers are catching up.
The tripod comes with a very nice sturdy matching bag and the head with a nice padded pouch.

They do have other range of normal tripod.
Both Carbon Fiber and Aluminium are very good value for money.
All comes with bags and some with short column etc.
No additional accessories to buy.

Links to more photos here.
http://8dennis8.fotki.com/public_photo/misc_use_photo/sirui-tripod/

The G-10 Ball head
DSC01212-vi.jpg

The other range
DSC01202-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Very clever design. What is the maximum height, height when folded, weight and load capacity like? If this can be slotted into a backpack, it would be a great "urban disguise".

Quick question though. Does deploying it takes considerably longer time since you need to rotate the legs into the correct position or does it "clicks" right into place?

how much is it selling @?

Oops forgot about spec.
The height = 1380mm
Monopod height = 1500mm
Load = 12kg
Weight = 1.2kg
folded length = 400mm
5 sections
The spec for other tripod also attached.

Yes it does take a longer period of time to deploy as the rotation of the legs are also stiff.
It does not click into place but they have a picture of a man shooting to show you that the legs are all in place correctly.
I got it precisely that it is easy to pack even for travelling.

You can download the spec from the previous post with the link.

Siruispecs-vi.jpg

Very clever design. What is the maximum height, height when folded, weight and load capacity like? If this can be slotted into a backpack, it would be a great "urban disguise".

Quick question though. Does deploying it takes considerably longer time since you need to rotate the legs into the correct position or does it "clicks" right into place?

Last edited:
What is the benefits of this tripod as compared to 'normal' tripod ?

Those who have used a Cullman magic will know.
Use to stuff one inside my very old Tenba bag as a base instead of the original wood base.
Now maybe not but as it is flat it is very easy to pack and secure and even pack into normal bag.

What is the benefits of this tripod as compared to 'normal' tripod ?

If no else is making it, no matter the price..people will buy one if they need one.

Well at least the quality is worth the price.
Better than some that don't and I have nothing against where it was made as long as the quality is good. Also flat tripod is not for everyone.
Not to mentioned that the range of tripod that I got was among the most expensive in the whole range.

They do have reasonable tripod like the T1004 with the G10 at $199 which is superb value for money.

You can of course also get tripod like Gitzo for double or triple the price in comparable range.
I do also own Gitzo and i am not saying that they are bad but you pay for it.

Frankly speaking, $500 plus is very ex for a China made tripod, dun you think so?

Last edited:
Don't think this apply to the flat range.
Depends on requirements as most I think may not like the flat range as compared to the traditional ones. It is personal when it comes to tripod.
Also these range of tripod although made in China does not lose out in quality and cannot be compared in the other make. Key is value for money.
To be frank I own 2 Gitzo traveller but if I come to know of the flat tripod earlier I would probably go for it. It is more sturdy and easy on travelling. However if used locally some may not like the way it will be deployed as well as the limited leg movements.

If no else is making it, no matter the price..people will buy one if they need one.

Frankly speaking, $500 plus is very ex for a China made tripod, dun you think so?

well.. nowadays, who cares where it is made in

china has many high end products as well that are not shabby in build or quality.

Now TK has it, I only see it before at OP.

There are some very nice and high end products made in China. Another one is the famous Kangrinpoche ballheads which are made in a small company in Guangzhou and has now reached cult status in China. In my opinion it is comparable to Korea's Markins.

Last edited:
I think it takes up more space when its folded flat than the usual tripod? :think:

not really , liveevil.

both folded, the amount of space in between the metal parts are still almost the same if you ask me.

i think dennis' point is that folding it flat opens to more potential for alternative forms for carrying.

having a rod like thing that's not that thin means you either have to sling it or strap it to outside of bag. folding it flat opens worlds of possibility as to how you can store it while moving around. :)

yes, i get what you mean. volume wise its definitely the same no matter how u fold it.

The advantage of folding it flat can only be seen by users who are using camera bags that are big enough to hold the tripod. The table states the folded length is about 400mm-500mm which is not exactly very short.

I said it will take up more space bcos seems like it can no longer be slung or strapped to a bag. The only way to carry it is to slot it into a camera bag that is big enough. so now the tripod is fighting for space with the camera and lenses...:bsmilie:

anyway, this is something new (at least to me it is). will pop by TK photo to take a look. thanks for the info. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.