Intro and advice on filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JensD

Apr 3, 2005
Bukit Timah
www.flickr.com
Hi all! I'm Jens, 17/m.

I'm pretty new to photography, you can check out my little gallery: http://jensd.deviantart.com/

I'm into "landscape/cityscape" shots and I want to know whether I should get a polarized lens filter? I use an Olympus E-300 and both of the lenses are 58mm filter sized. Are there any other good kind filters to get? What about a UV filter?

thnx! :)

OK, so I'll get a UV filter. Which shop should I get it from?
What about the circular polarizer filter? How much will it cost?

JensD said:
I'm into "landscape/cityscape" shots and I want to know whether I should get a polarized lens filter? I use an Olympus E-300 and both of the lenses are 58mm filter sized. Are there any other good kind filters to get? What about a UV filter?

Looking at your gallery, you seem to do a lot of sunsets and night scenes. There's not a lot of UV at night and at dawn/dusk, and a polariser is of limited use (one could use it at night e.g. to control reflections from wet roads). For "blue sky sunny day" photos, polarisers can be quite useful, although I think that they are overused - postcard-like saturated colours and dark blue sky are a bit cliche...

Both night scenes and sunsets have high contrast, making them prone to ghost images from reflections at lens/filter surfaces. The additional glass layer also causes additional abberations. Unless you really, really need it, it's probably better to keep the number of surfaces to a minimum and use no filter at all.

The popularity of UV filters (or filters in general) seems to be a local phenomenon. In other places, they're frowned upon as they frequently do more harm than good. But then, other places may not be quite as sunny.

Ok thnx for the info. I'll be going on a safari trip in south africa and I'd like to take some landscape pictures, will those filters do me good?

JensD said:
Ok thnx for the info. I'll be going on a safari trip in south africa and I'd like to take some landscape pictures, will those filters do me good?

Hi Jens, Welcome to Oly. Hope U can post more.

As for Filter wise. U should get UV filter which brand is up to U.
As for me I normally use B+W MRC one.
This is use inorder not only to block certain UV light and also serve as a protection to Ur lens. Since U got two lens now I advise U to get two, one each.
Next as for Circular Polarise filter, one is enough for U. Cos as both lenses are 58mm thread. All these is sufficient for U liao. ;)

As for me I had Nikon 58mm thread CPL II liao...

Hope U can post more at the Olympus sub forum.

I find that a UV-0 filter is a must to have. It is a protection to your lens.
As you a shoting landscape/cityscape, a C-PL is a very useful tool. When sunlight shine onto a building it can help to reduce the refection and you will get better colour and result... :D

Oh, does anyone know where I can get these filters the cheapest? And how much will the circ. polarizer cost about?

You can try getting an equote from several local shops, eg. Alan Photo, Cathay Photo, MSColor etc. Oh and I'm 17 this year too, my photos aren't as half as good as yours, haha. Nice work.

JensD said:
Hi all! I'm Jens, 17/m.

I'm pretty new to photography, you can check out my little gallery: http://jensd.deviantart.com/

thnx! :)

I am surprised you asked what kind of good filters to get. You buy according to how you shoot and your budget. There are 1001 filters to get, but if you have no real use for it also no point.

The most common filters I can think of are:

1. Neutral Density (ND) (2 stops or more)
2. Graduated ND (2 or 3 stops)
3. Half ND (Hard Edge meaning one half is clear the other half is darker)
4. Warm
5. Cool

For Item 2 and 3 better to use the Cokin, or if you are more richer the Lee filter system, better adjustment.

Newbie here. I have a Fuji S5000 (55mm, I think) and bought a polarizing filter. Then I bought a Nikon D70 and realize I cannot use this filter with D70, which is 67mm. On the day I bought a 50mm lens, I was planning to buy the polarizing filter for D70 and realize my 2 lens, is yet again, different sizes. So I ended up thinking its not worth it. Any positive comment on this to possibly change my mind?

dawgbyte77 said:
Newbie here. I have a Fuji S5000 (55mm, I think) and bought a polarizing filter. Then I bought a Nikon D70 and realize I cannot use this filter with D70, which is 67mm. On the day I bought a 50mm lens, I was planning to buy the polarizing filter for D70 and realize my 2 lens, is yet again, different sizes. So I ended up thinking its not worth it. Any positive comment on this to possibly change my mind?

What is not worth it? The D70 or the filter?
Different lenses may require different filter sizes. Depending which lens you tend to use more often, then get that a polarizing filter. A UV filter I think is most essential.

I mean the filter. I will end up with 3 identical filter of same type and its not cheap. And changing filter along with the lenses seems too time consuming and bothers me if the subject is time-critical. Since I'm a newbie, I still don't see the difference using hood and filter. For me, UV filter is just to protect from dust and hood as impact absorber in case my camera drop lens first (I'd rather get the picture than protect my camera, if I have to choose.. but hopefully this won't happen. :)).

dawgbyte77 said:
I mean the filter. I will end up with 3 identical filter of same type and its not cheap. And changing filter along with the lenses seems too time consuming and bothers me if the subject is time-critical. Since I'm a newbie, I still don't see the difference using hood and filter. For me, UV filter is just to protect from dust and hood as impact absorber in case my camera drop lens first (I'd rather get the picture than protect my camera, if I have to choose.. but hopefully this won't happen. :)).

Well, I believe many will agree with me that:

1. To get a great picture you will spend the least time pressing the shutter;
2. And you will spend the least frames to get one in many static objects;
3. And you will spend the most time preparing for that one photo.

Of course the list is not 100% right all the time. Things like taking sports, events might change. What the list omits is the time factor.

My Preference is:

1. For Polarizer, get the biggest possible for my biggest lens (say 77mm for a 70-200/2.8), in this case can be Hoya or B+W (I prefer the B+W when I got the money). Use step up rings for smaller threaded lens.
2. For UV, get one for every lens, be it Hoya brand or B+W (I prefer the latter). Cheap lens (non-prime, non-constant Max Aperture range)
3. For other filters, I will just get the biggest (77mm) and use step up rings like the Polarizer.

Photography is preparing and getting the pictures right by understanding the physics and adding a little of the warm touch and creativity. The longest time I have to spend to get a great photo is 23 years 10 months and 11 days, living with my mother to get her beautiful smile.

Christopher

I strongly suggest a Grad ND (3-stop) for landscapes in RSA. The contrast is very great between sky and the surroundings during sunsets.

I regretted not having one when I went in Dec.

Status
Not open for further replies.