- Intoxication

Status
Not open for further replies.

evildolly

Jul 27, 2003
Singapore
sassystrawberry.com
jui_black.jpg

trying more dramatic stuff out... ;) comments on post-processing please :embrass:

=D

Think lips too glossy. Maybe can cut back on that layer's opacity a bit.

wahhh!!! Super Cheena!!!
looks like those shanghai movie posters in the 70s

No offence... just some nitpicks...

1) face is over PSed, it's too smooth for my liking... I know your skin is smooth lah, but don't need like that leh... natural is nice... I'm sure timber agrees with me :D

2) The eyes are catching my attention but like your chinese characters mention - Indulge, I feel that the eyes should be looking towards the characters, giving the indulging feeling & mood...

3) You're presumably wearing a cheongsam, the fur coat doesn't match it... a white cloak like those in the ancient china gongfu movies would add a slight nostalgic touch to it and bring out the cheongsam's elegance of evildolly (you very evil meh? Until now I still dun get it... :bsmilie: )

4) Hair is too soft... the PS effect is ruining the details in this case... PS is good, but overusing I feel ruins the shot.... no offence

I overall feel that the idea is there. The framing & composition is ideal, way to go evildolly.

Btw, just my nooB comments, I'm not a master in portraiture myself, but just some comment... no offence hor... at most I buy you kopi :angel:

URM... if I change my nick to Timber, do I get to shoot too? :sweat:

definitely looks like 1930's songstress :thumbsup:

Actually on first glance i also feel that it's over PSed. But then if you think that it were to be used on a CD cover....those type which it feels smooth as velvet type, i think it's pretty apt. So i guess it depends on application. Like i said, only thing is that the hotspot on the lips is too attention grabing. Too slick.

1st impression which came to me was that it looks (almost) more like a painting than an actual photograph. The PS work makes it look a bit unnatural, hence the thought. Well, I guess this type of effect would work well maybe as posters for some product promotion, (like those 1930s style paintings of Chinese ladies in cheongsams) or as a cover to a CD etc. And the catchlight on the lips is a little too distracting (was it PSed in or natural catchlight?).

But overall a good attempt, I can sense the mood and feel that you're trying to put across.

No expert here either, just my 2 cts worth of comments.

I don't think it's over ps'd. I really like the effect. :)

Only thing I think looks out of place is the clothing you have on underneath the coat - to me the colours don't match. :dunno:

over psed part is only the bangs, imho. love the whole pic and feel. =)

thanks everyone for the comments, =D
will take those in mind for the next shoot,

and actually you guys hit the nail on the head,
its meant to look like a painting done on velvet. lush and smooth
and it is supposed to have a retro cheena feel

and in response to the comment that the lipstick is too glossy, well
I went out and bought a less shiny one :embrass: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

:)
thanks to berryhappy for all the pics! one shoot has given me endless material to play with in PS.

hi, thought the chinese characters could be nicer! ;p
yah i think it could make a nice shanghai tan poster. hmm. looks like a young rich influential lady of that period.

Your chinese characters don't match the english word.... definitions are different....Intoxication and 陶醉 are two different things.. 陶醉 means mersmerised and not indulged as what espn has mentioned earlier...
As for Intoxication, it literally means 酒精中毒。

fevernova said:
Your chinese characters don't match the english word.... definitions are different....Intoxication and 陶醉 are two different things.. 陶醉 means mersmerised and not indulged as what espn has mentioned earlier...
As for Intoxication, it literally means 酒精中毒。

erm that's semantics, but if i'm not wrong

intoxication:
To cause stupefaction, stimulation, or excitement by or as if by use of a chemical substance: “The notion of Holy War is showing that it has not yet lost all its power to intoxicate and to inflame” (Conor Cruise O'Brien).

e.g. She was intoxicated by the music.

陶醉
e.g. Ta1 陶醉 zai3 ying1 yue4 zhong1.
(sorry my work computer doesn't have chinese chars)

of course i could be wrong :) thanks for the feedback :embrass:

Its not semantics, you should phrase it as semantically the same.... :D
They do not have the same meanings...Intoxicated and 陶醉...INtoxicated means hmaking one feel happy, ecited and unable to think clearly, especially as a result of love,success power... Eg.. he was intoxicated with the expierience of freedom..

But who cares if you are right or wrong ? :dunno: :D
Credit goes to your pic! Nice pouty lips... ( did i spell that correctly ? )

espn said:
3) You're presumably wearing a cheongsam, the fur coat doesn't match it...

Got lah ... if you watch those movies depicting old Shanghai - well heeled ladies do wear fur coats with their cheongsams. Suppose to depict luxury lah ...

hmmm.....its like some east meets west thing to me....very china wif the british in it look.....

well...alot of comments liao...so i say wat i tink and hasnt been said yet...

1) photo got very gothic outlook....dunno if tt's wat u tryin to achieve
2) catchlight.....dun really give the intoxicated feeling...

tt's bout all.... hehe...

Status
Not open for further replies.