Interpolation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2003
Visit site
Hi..

Any recommended software that is doing interpolation, so that we can print in bigger size? Thanks

SzennyBoy said:

thanks for the link but can you briefly explain, by using this software, how effective interpolation works in conjunction with enlarged printing?

anyway I was thinking that interpolation means resizing?
eg; resize to 200%....

rainman said:
anyway I was thinking that interpolation means resizing?
eg; resize to 200%....

You mean just like scanning twice the specified resolution of a film scanner?

For example, a epson scanner rated at 2400 dpi. If I scan the slide at the so called interpolated 4800 dpi, the image will be enlarged/interpolated for larger size printing???

If so, is this effective and will the quality be compromised in any or significant way?

bgat said:
thanks for the link but can you briefly explain, by using this software, how effective interpolation works in conjunction with enlarged printing?
As I understand it, what the software does is it checks each individual pixel with its adjacent 8 pixels around it and effectively "fills in the blanks" between any two pixels so that it is seamlessly blended during the enlargement. That way, there is no noticeable pixelation in the post processed image. Note that the resultant file sizes are VERY large.

Edited to add...

I only use it when I need to enlarge my images to print in A3+ sizes. I don't find any necessity for printing anything up to A4 size prints and I'm only using a D1H for shooting.

SzennyBoy said:
As I understand it, what the software does is it checks each individual pixel with its adjacent 8 pixels around it and effectively "fills in the blanks" between any two pixels so that it is seamlessly blended during the enlargement. That way, there is no noticeable pixelation in the post processed image. Note that the resultant file sizes are VERY large.

Edited to add...

I only use it when I need to enlarge my images to print in A3+ sizes. I don't find any necessity for printing anything up to A4 size prints and I'm only using a D1H for shooting.

I see, thanks.

So, does a interpolated scan work the same way too just by "filling in the blanks"?

bgat said:
I see, thanks.

So, does a interpolated scan work the same way too just by "filling in the blanks"?

I believe so, but different systems/companies will uses interpolation algorithms and that is where you get the difference in the end results. The more "acurate" or powerful the algorithm the longer it takes and the larger the file size for rendering the final output. This is the reason why an interpolated scan take longer than the normal scan.

can someone post some pics with the effect of interpolation? i nv seen the effect of interpolation before

glyuen said:
can someone post some pics with the effect of interpolation? i nv seen the effect of interpolation before

You can try it yourself - just use Photoshop to increase the size of an image using bicubic interpolation. Or if you don't have PS, you can download the free Irfanview.

Status
Not open for further replies.