Internet speeds?

chinesechef

Jan 13, 2010
After being in Singapore for a couple of months I'm wondering what is the average connection speed in Singapore.

I live in serviced apartments with Internet connection and the speed is incredibly slow (~512kbit/s) other places such as university it's also slow.

So is this expected or how do people live with it? It's like back in the old days where you could go get a cup of coffee between each page.

Btw. I'm used to 40/40mbit/s.

I am on Starhub broadband at home (HDB flat) where you share the connection with many users in the block, but its fast enough for me, no waiting between the pages.....which serviced apartments have you stayed in? If it is slow they were likely on telephone modem????

HS

I've been running Starhub cable since the days of trial. In terms of response, I think the more speed they add in, the slower my pages load. Okay, so if download very large files like setup.exe will be faster, but how often do we do that (maybe our bandwidth being hogged by select groups of people doing torrent and stuff?). Most of us are surfers, so response time to small loads are preferred, and in my opinion, that seem to have degenerated.

Staying in Fraser Suites, Valley Point.
That's what I'm thinking off too that someone is hogging the bandwidth.
But I would assume that these places with shared connection have some kind of distributor mechanism.

i am starhub user too..with fixed boardband. during daytime, the speed is up to expectation. fast in one word. but during night time. i experienced very slow internet connection. i use www.speedtest.net to and i got 0.9mb per sec kind of downloading speed. blooding hell.

p/s: i subscribe 8mb/sec fixed boardband and live at boon keng mrt area (HDB flat)

After being in Singapore for a couple of months I'm wondering what is the average connection speed in Singapore.

I live in serviced apartments with Internet connection and the speed is incredibly slow (~512kbit/s) other places such as university it's also slow.

So is this expected or how do people live with it? It's like back in the old days where you could go get a cup of coffee between each page.

Hmm...well, we're not yet there - we have commercial FTTH (for business users only) up to 100M, but I'm gonna guess that it is priced for business users (ie. expensive).

Consumer ADSL is pretty ok, 10-15Mbits, reasonably priced, but only 1M upload speed. Still it might feel better than what you're living with. You need to subscribe to an analog DEL line to carry the ADSL service as well, so bear that in mind.

:think: I guess you could do better by using the cheap mobile broadband.

i got the 100mbps plan...but it felt like 0.100mbps lor...pages took too long to load. and during the past weeks...it disconnects often....i wonder why.

i got the 100mbps plan...but it felt like 0.100mbps lor...pages took too long to load. and during the past weeks...it disconnects often....i wonder why.

Did you sign up for Singhang mio? I using mio and getting horrendously unstable connection, sometimes need to refresh Google for 1-2 minutes before it can load.

Did you sign up for Singhang mio? I using mio and getting horrendously unstable connection, sometimes need to refresh Google for 1-2 minutes before it can load.
Wah! I never experienced this problem using Starhub broadband since the first day using it (2006)

Time to move to Starhub, lah! :(

HS

Staying in Fraser Suites, Valley Point.
That's what I'm thinking off too that someone is hogging the bandwidth.
But I would assume that these places with shared connection have some kind of distributor mechanism.
Try to check the speed at different times of the day and see if there is any change.........if you have got the time off course

I had considered mobile broadband but since contracts is for 2 years and I'm staying until end of May then it's hard to obtain it :)

Try to check the speed at different times of the day and see if there is any change.........if you have got the time off course

The average speed is 70kbyte/s (560kbit/s) and it's not like it is spiking. So maybe it is capped at that speed. I just wonder in these modern times a minimum of 2mbit/s should be provided, at least in my mind.

If u are connecting to overseas website, the bottleneck lies on the overseas connection. Local singapore to singapore connection is very fast. However, most website we go to are overseas website, but the bottleneck.

Don't u feel clubsnap and some other local forums loads pretty fast?

I am considering getting singtel mobilebroadband or even starhub mobilebroadband in lieu of my cable internet. Recommended or not?

I am considering getting singtel mobilebroadband or even starhub mobilebroadband in lieu of my cable internet. Recommended or not?

Check out Starhub's plan. Some of the Maxonline plans come with mobile broadband too. :)

Starhub plan here, 8MB MOL Express. I guess it depends on how many internet users there are in your vicinity or sharing your grid. But my speed has improved a fair bit lately, maybe cos I made a huge complaint to them about a month back. Speedtest done 1 min ago:

755979108.png

In Bedok

I am not sure what is the actual correlation between speed and the number of users in a particular area but i am sure that the "same" cable being used to deliver content to 5 users will achieve faster speeds compared to the same cable delivering content to 50 users, all things being equal.

I have been using starhub for more than 10 years since broadband was 1st introduced and i have been a happy camper. Ya.. it sucks like 5% of the time but generally 95 % of the time i am getting satisfactory downloads speeds. I have never been a fan of singtel broadband and with the recent comments and complaints about them, i guess i will be a green fan for a bit longer. And yes .. when i need to get in touch with helpdesk, i always get someone on the line within 3-5 mins longest (maybe i am just lucky :) )

4449722259_e84edec23c_m.jpg

It really depends on your network... and how clean is your line. Using speedtest on wireless G, just maxed out on the limit of the wireless instead of the actual speed and the further you are from the router, the weaker the signal, the slower the rates. The best way to test is to use wired connection. But then again, if you only have a 10mbps plan, and you're using wireless N router just 1m away... you'll definitely get approx 10mbps rates instead of the full N rates.

I do suspect this is abit fake... when i tested last year... its when i changed to the latest modem, the older modem is darn slow...

529495331.png
529496325.png

tested this early this month *sorry not at home to test again*

736728610.png

No need to guess which plan i'm having but, i felt rather shortchanged, cos i wanted a faster upload instead of download.

Anyway, testing against local server is nothing... cos its rather limited what you have locally.

what modem are you using? im still on the old modem that has been around since scv first rolled out to the masses... im on the 12mbps plan but ive never hit that fast before...wondering if its because of the modem.

what modem are you using? im still on the old modem that has been around since scv first rolled out to the masses... im on the 12mbps plan but ive never hit that fast before...wondering if its because of the modem.

the modem does make a difference. and i do my own cable internally and i've boosted the cable signal as well cos previously i even had problem viewing starhub tv programs, sudden drop off and the signal ratings on the set top is only 50+% now approx 98-100%