Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectrum

Jun 22, 2003
Here
Visit site
Hi all,
Do you think local internet speed is really slow compare to Japan?:confused:
Is it worth paying for that kind of accessing speed?
Do feel free to share your experience here & peace.:)

i think its slow compared to other like u mentioned.
no doubt they claim so and so speeds, but the speed often drop to a crawl,
which probably caused a lot of users to complain. Although its not on a daily
basis. :bsmilie:

compared to Japan, singapore is worst then crawling. I can transfer a full dvd of data to my friend with their network within an hour. here, faster to burn the DVD and pass to them.

Malaysia even worst.Only like 30kb!Take 2~3days to download a movie.

Hi all,
Do you think local internet speed is really slow compare to Japan?:confused:
Is it worth paying for that kind of accessing speed?
Do feel free to share your experience here & peace.:)

Dependant on a number of factors:)
But yes,generally overall speed here is lower than theirs.

i blame the population density and all the nerds play WOW and CS. :sweatsm:

if their arcade games can go online, and with excellent speed, it says a lot about their infrastructure. Here is seriously lacking.

They might actually have more cables running below the sea as compared to ours.
Also,if we're talking about gamers,most would stick to the cable modem instead of wireless as wireless are prone to lose of signal and interferences.
just my take.

I also heard that local accessing need to pass through Japan in order to link to the rest of the world. Is that so?:think:

I also heard that local accessing need to pass through Japan in order to link to the rest of the world. Is that so?:think:

Depends on where you want your data to go.. If you want your data to go to Malaysia, no need to go jap first..

I go Hong Kong frequently, and find Hong Kong is so much faster in internet speed than in Singapore, not sure why.

I go Hong Kong frequently, and find Hong Kong is so much faster in internet speed than in Singapore, not sure why.

Besides Hong Kong, Macau also has relatively faster internet connection than Singapore.

But one question, how much do Hong Kongers pay for a 6000kbps unlimited per month?

I am paying around SGD$60.00 for the speed I mention above.

In Malaysia, for a 2000kbps, you need to pay about MYR$188.00 per month unlimited usage. That is the fastest speed for consumer usage. It's called Streamyx.

As mentioned above, I think there are just too many users in a dense population. Each time when I power up my laptop or desktop, I could easily detect at least 10-15 wireless users.

Ok, a few misconceptions here.

Bandwidth: There's a huge difference between local bandwidth (content within Singapore), and International bandwidth (content out of Singapore). Local bandwidth is orders of magnitude cheaper than International bandwidth.

Content: Singapore's local content is pure sh*t compared to the amount and quality of local content that countries like Japan and Korea. As a result, our usage pattern focuses on International content placing a high usage on International bandwidth. In other words, we're paying more for International bandwidth, than say our counterparts in Korea/Japan.

Speed (or perceived speed): Let's put it this way. Even if the local ISPs come up with 1Gbps FTTH (Fiber To The Home) access, your "perceived speed" won't change much. Why? Because the total International bandwidth out of Singapore is finite and limited. So what if you have big-a$$ access fiber to your ISP, when your ISP only has a few Gbps of bandwidth peering with Tier-1 backbones??

Density: Agreed. Someone staying in a HDB block chock full of bit torrent happy kids will surf at a snail's pace compared to another person staying in a block largely with older folks. This has to do with the manner in which your ISP aggregates bandwidth from your neighborhood to the central office.

Bottomline: Want faster access bandwidth? Don't want to pay more? Sure! But first get off your lazy butt and start creating compelling, kick-a$$ local content!!! It takes time. We don't have the population mass of Korea/Japan. And for that reason, we'll always be behind them as far as bandwidth/price/performance is concerned.

The Future: The Gaming industry (not your kiddie MMORPGs, but the multi-billion $$$ gambling) is making in-roads slowly but surely. If the cards are played well (no pun intended), more International peering partners will want to have better bandwidth into Singapore, which in turn makes our access cost cheaper. See the economics?

Hope this clears up a little.

sad to say... local servers & hosting ain't cheap to start with... and what for make contents and provider pay while user leech... and in the end pay more for extra bandwidth used...

The Future: The Gaming industry (not your kiddie MMORPGs, but the multi-billion $$$ gambling) is making in-roads slowly but surely. If the cards are played well (no pun intended), more International peering partners will want to have better bandwidth into Singapore, which in turn makes our access cost cheaper. See the economics?

Sad but true future. :(

Ok, a few misconceptions here.

Bandwidth: There's a huge difference between local bandwidth (content within Singapore), and International bandwidth (content out of Singapore). Local bandwidth is orders of magnitude cheaper than International bandwidth.

Content: Singapore's local content is pure sh*t compared to the amount and quality of local content that countries like Japan and Korea. As a result, our usage pattern focuses on International content placing a high usage on International bandwidth. In other words, we're paying more for International bandwidth, than say our counterparts in Korea/Japan.

Speed (or perceived speed): Let's put it this way. Even if the local ISPs come up with 1Gbps FTTH (Fiber To The Home) access, your "perceived speed" won't change much. Why? Because the total International bandwidth out of Singapore is finite and limited. So what if you have big-a$$ access fiber to your ISP, when your ISP only has a few Gbps of bandwidth peering with Tier-1 backbones??

Density: Agreed. Someone staying in a HDB block chock full of bit torrent happy kids will surf at a snail's pace compared to another person staying in a block largely with older folks. This has to do with the manner in which your ISP aggregates bandwidth from your neighborhood to the central office.

Bottomline: Want faster access bandwidth? Don't want to pay more? Sure! But first get off your lazy butt and start creating compelling, kick-a$$ local content!!! It takes time. We don't have the population mass of Korea/Japan. And for that reason, we'll always be behind them as far as bandwidth/price/performance is concerned.

Thanks for that. Good to learn something new each day from the good old Clubsnap.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.