Internet connection is s-o s-l-o-w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this message from our company's IT Helpdesk:

"Due to the strong earthquake at Taiwan (Taipei) , the Telco submarine cables at Taipei were badly damaged and it affected all internet surfing traffic from Singapore to the overseas sites for all Internet service providers including Singnet, Pacific Internet and Starhub."

Can't connect to the Windows Live Messenger service too...

Same here, and overseas websites are unable to load. Thank goodness CS is still up. Think about how interconnected we are these days, where even an earthquake in taipei has an immediate effect on us here.

QX

Same here, and overseas websites are unable to load. Thank goodness CS is still up. Think about how interconnected we are these days, where even an earthquake in taipei has an immediate effect on us here.

QX

boo hoo hoo.............I NEED MSN!!!!!:eek: :eek: :( :(

"Due to the strong earthquake at Taiwan (Taipei) , the Telco submarine cables at Taipei were badly damaged and it affected all internet surfing traffic from Singapore to the overseas sites for all Internet service providers including Singnet, Pacific Internet and Starhub."

No ETA when it would be fixed huh?

Can't even connect to overseas site now, but as someone else pointed out, small price to pay to be spared from the earthquake itself.

QX

The world is strongly interdependent. Anything happening elsewhere will have an effect on us.

Besides the SEA-ME-WE, what are the other optical fiber links in the oceans?

No ETA when it would be fixed huh?

Can't even connect to overseas site now, but as someone else pointed out, small price to pay to be spared from the earthquake itself.

it would be nice if the switch the job of taiwan to singapore:sweatsm: , we will be getting hyperfast surfing speed.:bigeyes: :bsmilie:

Damn, I didn't know we're so dependent on Taiwan for access to overseas sites.

Yep, most overseas sites are unreachable while the ISPs/telcos trying to re-route the huge amounts of traffic via other paths.

It's unfortunate that Singapore has too little content to keep the traffic within. Luckily ClubSnap is hosted in Singapore with good content :) else will be quite boring being online.

same here too. i thought singapore was either by its own or linked to japan. nv knew taiwan was in too.

All the subsea cables that carry Internet traffic need repeaters and landing points. Cables can be cut/broken on the ocean floor because of natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunamis, and also man-made such as anchors and sometimes sabotage.

Cable repair requires sending special ships out to the ocean, and these repairs depend on factors such as weather, etc.

Link to Taiwan cause it is cheaper??? I dont get it leh.... Why need to link to Taiwan to surf other oversea site???

I concur, we're now more connected then ever. No joy with overseas website.:sweat:

QX

it is not just about taiwan.. the earthquake was a large scale one deep into the pacific ocean.. heard from radio that 6 cables at hongkong, china and taiwan all affected. :sticktong

Boo. That sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.