Internet at oversea need to pay, you ok?

Oversea no free internet for 1 wk, you ok?

Results are only viewable after voting.

BBTM

Nov 23, 2004
BB West
If you know that hotel, got to pay for internet access, will you be moody after learning that?

I am going to Beijing soon. This morning, my tour guild told me that we going to another hotel instead. He then told me, this hotel (5*), got to pay for internet access! :bigeyes: Whereby the previous hotel, offer free internet! :bheart:

In nowadays world, unless remote area, I feels that internet should be FOC. The hotel which I going stays, charge 85RMB per day!!! :bigeyes: More than what we paying here. I think I am getting a SIM card over there n let my mobile BB do the job.

So, without internet for 1 wk, can you take it?

Last edited:
of course can, i feel very happy without internet sometimes actually.

If it's a holiday, no internet for me. I'll only go online when I'm on a business trip.

Internet overseas is useful to me when I wish to google for tourist information on the area and adjust itinerary on the go.

As for paying, i guess it depends on how much and how many stars your accommodation is. If really costly hotel, I would expect free access. Mine usually is cheap cheap accommodation so I wouldn't expect free internet or even internet service in the first place.

Most likely have to go to internet cafe instead.

Edit: 85 renminbi for 5 star hotel?

Last edited:
For me, if hoilday, don't use lor.
If working, company don't pay, can't use lor.
(Better, maybe it's a blessing.)

If you know that hotel, got to pay for internet access, will you be moody after learning that?

I am going to Beijing soon. This morning, my tour guild told me that we going to another hotel instead. He then told me, this hotel (5*), got to pay for internet access! :bigeyes: Whereby the previous hotel, offer free internet! :bheart:

In nowadays world, unless remote area, I feels that internet should be FOC. The hotel which I going stays, charge 85RMB per day!!! :bigeyes: More than what we paying here. I think I am getting a SIM card over there n let my mobile BB do the job.

As you have mentioned, its a 5* hotel, there is a good chance that you need to pay for internet access.

As you have mentioned, its a 5* hotel, there is a good chance that you need to pay for internet access.

Should be FOC. If less than 5*, a fee is understandable. RMB 85 daily, daylight robbery!!!

Want to upload photos also can't, really very upset.... :cry:

Maybe go to lobby, see how much they charge for 1-2 hrs usage. Pointless to pay for a whole day rate while I just need that 1-2 hrs. :nono:

Oh, now that i read the post again, I realised that the 85RMB is for the internet. :bsmilie:

I thought how come 5* star accommodation is 85RMB per day....

almost all hotels have free internet in China .... i suspect Ritz or Kempinski in Beijing ?

the charges are usually quite reasonable, for 24hr cycles and not crazy like eg hotels in Australia, europe ..... and much faster usually

but little point of me paying if i cannot access facebook or other blocked sites

pay internet could be a gd thing, if you pay and you are unhappy about the speed, you can always "complaint". else look for some cafe which offer free internet ~ :)

Should be FOC. If less than 5*, a fee is understandable. RMB 85 daily, daylight robbery!!!

Want to upload photos also can't, really very upset.... :cry:

Maybe go to lobby, see how much they charge for 1-2 hrs usage. Pointless to pay for a whole day rate while I just need that 1-2 hrs. :nono:

I used to think like this till I travelled with my parents on tour group. It's just economics. Those people staying at 5* can afford it and indifferent towards the charge (in theory) while at cheaper more competitive place use FOC as value add (according to my friend which i think makes sense). So too bad.....

I used to think like this till I travelled with my parents on tour group. It's just economics. Those people staying at 5* can afford it and indifferent towards the charge (in theory) while at cheaper more competitive place use FOC as value add (according to my friend which i think makes sense). So too bad.....

Depends. Cause another 5*, which our first choice, does offer FOC internet access. I just go to lobby, see how much will the charges be for 1-2 hrs. Cause if I surf at room, would be wired n therefore, the RMB85 applies. :eek:

Unless it's really important, I think I can do without the net for a week.
The hotel i stayed in Berlin had 4 Macs in the lobby to use for free, while it was chargeable in the room.

I think you are too used to free or cheap cheap in Singapore.

Most places in the world offer internet, but many countries charge for it, especially the chain hotels.

It is part of the hotel cost for me if staying in touch is important.

So if you feel you need to surf or work, then pay for it, or spend more time to find a hotel with what you want. Or deal with it and enjoy a break from the PC.

In China many places offer such services too, but wait till you get to Europe, then you wil see what charges they offer...

What we do locally with free Wi Fi available in many places is not the rule overseas. So consider it a cost of your tour.

I think you are too used to free or cheap cheap in Singapore.

Most places in the world offer internet, but many countries charge for it, especially the chain hotels.

It is part of the hotel cost for me if staying in touch is important.

So if you feel you need to surf or work, then pay for it, or spend more time to find a hotel with what you want. Or deal with it and enjoy a break from the PC.

In China many places offer such services too, but wait till you get to Europe, then you wil see what charges they offer...

What we do locally with free Wi Fi available in many places is not the rule overseas. So consider it a cost of your tour.

Actually, I think Singapore is neither cheap nor accessible. Even our neighbours Malaysia (KL at least) is some ways ahead of us in providing public connectivity.

But I've never been to Europe, so I don't know about there. :D

I quite surprise with high cost of surfing as we staying in a 5* hotel. Cos some 3* hotel also offer foc access. Local pricing also not that cheap, as it's for home use, those plan maybe just nice.

As I said b4, I just go lobby n ask abt the hourly rate n surf if the price is right. Thought bring my netbook over can surf at own comfort at my room but now.... :bheart:

Its common. The rates in Korea is even higher for 5* hotels. The cheaper hotels normally dun charge thou. Strange but thaz the norm so LL.. but i use it for biz trip mainly. IF holidays i still like to have access but i try not to

Thread moved to KPT since it has nothing to do with "Travel Photography".

I think don't talk about other countries first, even in SG, most bigger hotels (4 stars and above) also charge for internet access, even in hotel room it not always free. Including wired LAN internet access, most also need you to pay.
If you don't want to pay, there is often a common PC at the lobby or business center for hotel guests to surf net and check e-mails.
And normally the per hr rate is such that when you pay for 4-6hrs is same as 24hrs liao....