International driving license

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian

May 19, 2004
West
Hi guys,

Is Singapore driving license sufficient enough to drive in US or we need to apply for int'l license?

Hi guys,

Is Singapore driving license sufficient enough to drive in US or we need to apply for int'l license?

It depends on the duration of your stay. I think Singapore licenes is accepted for up to 6 mths. Check out the US embassy in Singapore website. Just do an online search for the website. You also need to check with them if your passport is valid. If your non-biometric passport is extended before, you are not allowed to enter US.

IIRC,with a S'pore driving license,one can drive in any asean countries...u will need an international driving license(i think available from AA) to drive elsewhere...

IIRC,with a S'pore driving license,one can drive in any asean countries...u will need an international driving license(i think available from AA) to drive elsewhere...

Uhh, I have driven in Australia, UK (England, Wales & Scotland) and New Zealand. All I need is the Singapore license, no need to use International license. That's why I say depends on duration and check with embassy.

Uhh, I have driven in Australia, UK (England, Wales & Scotland) and New Zealand. All I need is the Singapore license, no need to use International license. That's why I say depends on duration and check with embassy.
:bigeyes: sorry i didnt know...back when i was serving the police...i remember only asean countries...good news then...:thumbsup:

From my own experience, for not more than a month (as I have not stay longer than that),
you don't need Int'l Driving License, Singapore's is good. I have rented a car in U.S.A., UK,
Amsterdam and Germany, the car rental Co. accepted my Singapore Driving License without
any questions.

Hope this help.

:bigeyes: sorry i didnt know...back when i was serving the police...i remember only asean countries...good news then...:thumbsup:

Hey no worries....no offence meant...;p We are all trying to help each other. It is up to individual to check the facts anyway. Nobody can sue us for wrong info what!:bsmilie:

I've drove in Sweden, Norway and Denmark with my Singapore licence.. Rented the car from Avis, left-hand drive.

For US, you don't need an international license.
I rented a car in San Francisco last Nov and a Singapore driving license will do just nice. ;)

Thanks guys for all the info. :thumbsup::)

I've drove in Sweden, Norway and Denmark with my Singapore licence.. Rented the car from Avis, left-hand drive.

To add on, you can only use your Singapore driving licence for a maximum of 1 yr in the Scandinivian countries. Thenafter, you can either apply for the international driving licence or the local driving permit (which is valid for your entire stay).

I have just applied for the latter. :)

To add on, you can only use your Singapore driving licence for a maximum of 1 yr in the Scandinivian countries. Thenafter, you can either apply for the international driving licence or the local driving permit (which is valid for your entire stay).

I have just applied for the latter. :)

Wow you're going to the Scandinavian countries for long stay.. envy :lovegrin:

INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT

YOUR PASSPORT TO OVERSEAS DRIVING

The International Driving Permit (IDP) is recognised worldwide as a valuable document identifying motorists as legally-licensed drivers.

Although the Singapore driving licence is recognised in many countries, the IDP could prevent any inconveniences when renting a car or when driving in a country where English is not commonly spoken. In such situations, drivers may find themselves handicapped by language barriers.

The IDP contains translations of driving terms used in various languages and can help drivers communicate with car rental companies and other authorities. The IDP is also a useful form of identification as it contains a photograph of the driver.

Who Should Apply

For peace-of-mind when driving overseas, we recommended that Singapore Driving Licence Holders intending to drive in a foreign country apply for an IDP.

Requirements:

* The applicant must hold a valid Singapore driving licence
* Permits cannot be issued to holders of foreign driving licences. They must apply for their IDPs at the country that issued their driving licence.

Foreign driving licence holders who wish to convert their licence to a Singapore driving licence are advised to first contact the Licensing Section, Traffic Police, No. 10 Ubi Ave 3 at 6547 0000 for more information on application procedures.

Sole Issuing Authority in Singapore

AA is the only authorised organisation to issue IDPs in Singapore.
Link here

singapore license alone enough to drive in the US.

i was even chased by the sheriff on my way to las vegas heh :p

Wow you're going to the Scandinavian countries for long stay.. envy :lovegrin:

Envy? Well, I am looking forward to "going home". I have been oversea for too many years and I am really tired. I miss all the hawker food, shopping and convenience back home. :)

Envy? Well, I am looking forward to "going home". I have been oversea for too many years and I am really tired. I miss all the hawker food, shopping and convenience back home. :)

Wah ! u have been there for how long ? haha...

I suspect most counties have reciprocal driving licence agreements. You will probably find that any country you don't need a special apply in advance Visa for will (for a short stay anyway) accept your home licence.
The IDP scheme is more of a document to deal with language problems, it's not generally considered valid on it's own, it's basically an 'approved translation' of your national drivers licence, and a standard format document that local police, the world over, can recognise, traffic police can't be expected to recognise 100s of different counties licence documents.

If you are planning on hiring a car, get one, just avoid any issues if you do have to deal with traffic police...

some company insist employee to apply International driving licence..

hawker food......... yes! totally understand ur feeling.

For US especially in California, one do not need to convert to their DL unless you intend to be a resident there. If you intend to become a resident, then you need to convert your DL within 14 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.