Internal Reflection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeter

May 1, 2004
Hi guys,

recently bought a lens from one of our fellow forumer. Took some test pics on film and saw some weird-ness in the picture.

F1000016.jpg

As you can see, HSBC is like duplicated in the frame >< what might have happened?

Its in the middle of the pic...

The logo of the HSBC thingy

Here's a bigger picture.

F10000126.jpg

Were you using a filter.

Ya, it came with a Hoya 52mm UV filter.
The filter might had caused the reflection?
Sorry for the photosize, think can't be any bigger once i upload online.

Yes its the filter.

You're about the 13th person I've seen so far who's started a thread with the same problem. They're usually using cheapo hoya filters that always cause this.

leeter said:
Ya, it came with a Hoya 52mm UV filter.
The filter might had caused the reflection?
Sorry for the photosize, think can't be any bigger once i upload online.

Why don't you get a slightly better filter. The Hoya HMC range is quite good.

!! sadded >< sorry, i didnt know abt cheap UV causes such problems. It came along with the lens.

Haha, think must fork out money to get a better filter.

Is it as long as it's coated, it shldn't reflect? Anyone know the price range of a "good" filter?

leeter said:
!! sadded >< sorry, i didnt know abt cheap UV causes such problems. It came along with the lens.

Is it as long as it's coated, it shldn't reflect? Anyone know the price range of a "good" filter?

I'm also using a normal uncoated UV filter for my 50mm lens and so far don't have that reflection thing you have.

Actually coated ones are better of cos as they can further reduce any flares, etc.

I've got a cheaper solution.

Why not just remove the filter for the exposure? Unless you're a pro who does night shots every other day (and earning $$ for it), save the cash. The problem only happens when you take night shots with bright sources of artificial light. If you're a hobbyist who does night shots once in a blue moon, just remove the filter.

oh okay~ haha thanks for the cheaper alternative, but i'll see the price of the filter first before deciding~ :)

Yea, i'm just a hobbyist, who happened to be shooting at nite to test the lens on film >< hehe

solarii said:
Why not just remove the filter for the exposure? Unless you're a pro who does night shots every other day (and earning $$ for it), save the cash.

Whey shouldn't "pros" remove the filter as well? You aren't using sunblocker either to protect your skin from UV at night.

leeter said:

Hoya HMC goes for about SGD15 for a 55mm. For your filter size I think its cheaper. Before you buy a good filter just take the picture without the filter and see how the image turns out.

Yea, should be going down cathay check it out~ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.