Internal memory for future camera?

BBTM

Nov 23, 2004
BB West
Since S6, iphone 6 etc, all got 128GB memory, why can't future camera bodies having it? It's a plus point and we don't have to worry of what kind of speed that we need for this and that. Slot/s still available for card and maybe, can use as a backup or solo. Maybe there is rules/laws on it? :think:

To make the camera more expensive? And can't swap memory cards for different types of shoots? Can't keep the memory cards aside for not mixed up with different projects?

No thank you.

Since S6, iphone 6 etc, all got 128GB memory, why can't future camera bodies having it? It's a plus point and we don't have to worry of what kind of speed that we need for this and that. Slot/s still available for card and maybe, can use as a backup or solo. Maybe there is rules/laws on it? :think:

Camcorders with built-in memory have been around for awhile. There are also some entry level cameras with built-in memory/battery. The main plus point is convenience, but that's about it.

No need for extra memory cards or even batteries—both are built-in to the COOLPIX S02 for your convenience. The 7.3 GB internal memory holds approximately 2,300 still images, so you’ll have your favorite photos at hand whenever you want to share them. The built-in rechargeable battery shoots approximately 210 shots on a single charge, and the included USB charger lets you charge from a computer as well as a household outlet.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-S02.html

How much are you willing to pay for the convenience? Would you pay $300 more for 128GB built-in? If you look at how they sell internal memory in smartphones, there's going to be a massive markup. Looking at the iphone 6 plus as an example, it's $1148 for the base model, $140 more to add 48GB, and then $160 more to add another 64GB.

Last edited:
Memory cards will survive a dip in the pool (or sea). Good luck with internal memory and the images stored there.

My very 1st digital camera many years ago come with internal memory, Think brand call digimaster, only few MB but quite lot many yrs back then. But still prefer to use external memory card.

Video camera does have build in 64GB nowadays. With another 64GB, I don't have worry about memory running out but only concern, battery not enough. Pricing also quite ok for the video camera, since memory are cheap nowadays. So, 64GB or 128GB internal memory is a welcome for future DSLR for me, especially doing time lapse with it. :D

The very reason why I'll never buy iPhone or Galaxy S6.... because they don't have memory expansion slot... :think:

Agree with other... having large internal memory built into the camera will only cause the price to go higher... buying a Memory Card (good one), I could pass it from one camera to the next (CF for DSLR, SD for PnS, MicroSD from phone to phone) without having to once again buy a more expansive (higher memory capacity) camera or phone should I need as much....

128G can fill up pretty quick with ois, videos photo apps etc etc If internal memory algo screwed ... So are you

Same thing w built in batteries

Last edited:
To make the camera more expensive? And can't swap memory cards for different types of shoots? Can't keep the memory cards aside for not mixed up with different projects?

No thank you.

Well, if it means zero buffer lag (full speed shooting) till the 128GB fills up then I think I will bite wor... Possible as no need to go through external bussing.

Well, if it means zero buffer lag (full speed shooting) till the 128GB fills up then I think I will bite wor... Possible as no need to go through external bussing.

Possible as that company could have their own r/w speed as their plus point. Imagine r/w at 300mb/s, yummy! The technology/idea is there, waiting for the right time to launch. Price wise, why bother so much when memory chips are coming down a lot. :p

Last edited:
Possible as that company could have their own r/w speed as their plus point. Imagine r/w at 300mb/s, yummy! The technology/idea is there, waiting for the right time to launch. Price wise, why bother so much when memory chips are coming down a lot. :p
1) Final r/w speed depends on the storage interface. Did you notice that writing to internal memory is not faster than writing to SD cards in mobile phone?
2) Internal memory is heavily marked up wherever possible, ignoring all prices for external memory cards. Apple is only one example.

1) Final r/w speed depends on the storage interface. Did you notice that writing to internal memory is not faster than writing to SD cards in mobile phone?
2) Internal memory is heavily marked up wherever possible, ignoring all prices for external memory cards. Apple is only one example.

Mobile phone cost not that high, plus they don't need that kind of speed for those pictures. Whereby dslr mp at least 20mp nowadays, future ones, maybe 30mp as standard. So, a faster internal could be implement as the cost already there, why not? Plus the benefit of internal is more than just that. Lets wait n see how the future dslr would be like then. :D

Mobile phone cost not that high, plus they don't need that kind of speed for those pictures. Whereby dslr mp at least 20mp nowadays, future ones, maybe 30mp as standard. So, a faster internal could be implement as the cost already there, why not? Plus the benefit of internal is more than just that. Lets wait n see how the future dslr would be like then. :D
have you encounter any memory cards error before?
not able to write, writing error, files unreadable, don't know where the files go to? keep asking to reformat the memory card? blar blar blar.....
would you still want buy a camera with built in memory card, that might cost you a few hundreds dollars to repair, not forgetting your camera will out of action and lying in "hospital" for at least a few days?

you can throw away memory cards, but if the camera with built in memory card is too expensive to repair, would you mind to throw away your camera? or scrap the camera for parts salvaging?

have you encounter any memory cards error before?
not able to write, writing error, files unreadable, don't know where the files go to? keep asking to reformat the memory card? blar blar blar.....
would you still want buy a camera with built in memory card, that might cost you a few hundreds dollars to repair, not forgetting your camera will out of action and lying in "hospital" for at least a few days?

you can throw away memory cards, but if the camera with built in memory card is too expensive to repair, would you mind to throw away your camera? or scrap the camera for parts salvaging?

Yes, the very first card for my dslr n not compatible. I even encounter sd to cf convertor not compatible too.

Have you ever encounter phone internal memory corrupted and your phone cannot be use? I encounter micro sd not able to use after a month but was warned when I brought it. Or your last phone still usable and you going for a new one cause of better and faster memory/cpu? Have you not bring more than one memory card out for trip and even you don't, you still have to bring laptop and external hard disk, right? But can those save you from doing time lapse when your memory card are full?

So, it's up to individual whether to get a camera with internal or not. Some people like me, don't want the trouble of bring too many memory card and willing to risk, which might be small, that the data are gone from there. But if the risk are small and the reward is great, I really don't mind. If handphone without internal memory, I doubt a lot of them will get it cause who willing to spend extra on a memory card if hardly use it?

The world is changing, we need to adapt. Internal memory already surface in video camera and no one complaining, I wonder why there is a fuss on dslr?

I see little benefit to internal memory...
If your camera got stolen there goes ur pictures .
If you use external cards then only the picture in the external card in the camera is lost.

Flash memory has limited write times ... I would rather replace external cards then internal cards which will likely be expensive.

It is easier to upgrade to a faster external card then to upgrade a internal card.

Lastly .... Pictures thought deleted or in some cases formatted by a proper security software could still be recovered ...

I would not want to sell a camera with internal card.... And running the risk of having my private life exposed.

I think the display medium is why we don't have very large internal storage in cameras.
In phones, more often than not that is the display medium and with their myriad of connectivity options particular photos can be moved/sent very easily.
With cameras, the LCD is often just a checker but ultimately the display medium is a computer/tablet etc. So it doesn't make as much sense to have huge internal storage where the images reside. They get recorded but are moved off-camera elsewhere whereas for smartphones, its the always there option.
When you want to post a photo from a camera, its much easier to do so from a smartphone. The UI and connectivity options on dedicated cameras are just more limiting such that you wouldn't really want the camera to be the storage bank.

If you want the internal storage purely as a convenience to bypass buying storage cards, then I think it's an issue of cost. Smartphones are often heavily subsidies by Telco companies so the additional costs are borne by more than one party.

From a camera manufacturer's point, that is not a productive production method.
It would mean various version of the same camera within the same camera system which comprises lens flashlight etc
And buyer may only buy a certain camera with that memory capacity within his budget.

As pixel count gets bigger, the file size gets bigger and do not forget the buffer size too.
The camera need to cache the captured image, processes the image then transfer it to the memory.
In the end you may have a camera with a 1 fps capability.
A digicam is basically a mobile image capture computer.
Another factor is the hardware and file type used by the camera as it may limit the maximum storage capacity allowable.
It needs an operating system, cache and memory storage.

For handphones, the telcos and users are partially and contractually subsidising the production and therefore can offer you an upgrade after what...18 months or so.
So how many fps does the S6 & ip6 have and how long do you intend to continue using them?
Have you ever looked into the internal storage capacity available in your handphone lately?