Intergrity Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

crust85

Jan 31, 2009
Just want to gather some opinions regarding selling 2nd hand items and reselling it..

if you have bought a 2nd hand lens/body/accessories from someone, and you wish to resell it later on, will you inform the new buyer that its a 2nd hand set that you bought from someone else?
will you be selling at a higher price than what you bought at 2nd hand?

Just want to find out your opinions on this issue.. thanks..

er, most people would actually use the 2nd hand item for a while.

for bodies it is not so much a problem, because nowadays release very fast, unlikely that say, a 300d will be second hand if sold now, probably third hand more often than not.

anyways, second/third/fourth hand all the same what, what matters is the condition of the item. if a fourth hand item is in excellent condition, i would pay more for it than a bunged up second hand item, if you get what i mean.

Two issues here:

[1] sell on stuff that you bought 2nd handed. Not sure what is the real problem here? Are you saying because the item passes through more than 1 owner, it must be something wrong? A lot of people buying a 2nd hand lens and use it for a year or so and then upgrade to a better lens. This way, they might even be able to sell the lens at a slight loss or even make a small profit out of it if the lens price increases.

You can always ask the seller whether they are the 1st hand owner but you will have to take their words for it.

[2] As for making a profit out of the 2nd hand item that you have bought, what's wrong with that? An extreme example, if I received a camera as a gift, should I give it away FOC when I no longer want it? So, if the market has a 1K valuation for a particular 2nd hand lens, why should I be selling it at 0.9k even if I bought the lens at 0.6k a year ago?

Integrity is not an issue here.

Last edited:
IMO.

The integrity comes from the seller's ability to QC the product and not how many people used the product. The main importance for a qualified seller is the able to know the product well, elaborate the spotted problem of the item sold and honest pricing. When someone re-sells an item, the buyer don't care about the historical users but will blame the seller directly. Even if the seller tells you that he/she has just bought it from someone and without using it re-sell again, the immediate seller will still be blamed.

Price is a tricky thing, if the buyer is aware of the street price and willingly pays the selling price without regret, then it is fine. But if the seller's intention is to deceive the buyer, then it is bad.

Finally, the seller's integrity includes knowing what information confidential is. If seller starts distributing buyer's info to others without a justified reason, the seller has breached the trust for info handling.

Sellers are buyers too when they get stocks from upper chain but a poor integrity seller who bought a bad item (and aware) will later attempts to profit and pass the risk to another buyer.

Last edited:
Two issues here:

[1] sell on stuff that you bought 2nd handed. Not sure what is the real problem here? Are you saying because the item passes through more than 1 owner, it must be something wrong? A lot of people buying a 2nd hand lens and use it for a year or so and then upgrade to a better lens. This way, they might even be able to sell the lens at a slight loss or even make a small profit out of it if the lens price increases.

You can always ask the seller whether they are the 1st hand owner but you will have to take their words for it.

[2] As for making a profit out of the 2nd hand item that you have bought, what's wrong with that? An extreme example, if I received a camera as a gift, should I give it away FOC when I no longer want it? So, if the market has a 1K valuation for a particular 2nd hand lens, why should I be selling it at 0.9k even if I bought the lens at 0.6k a year ago?

Integrity is not an issue here.

good point you've made.. true true.. please bear in mind, im just seeking opinions.. not trying to criticise anyone..

I largely agree with CS Tan.

I do ask my buyers if they are traders or if they are buying for their own use. That's just my personal preference to sell to users. In theory, people sell to one that can pay the highest, by default.

I prefer to sell my stuff to users. However, one cannot guarantee if they are traders. Traders do not invest, they trade for a profit. Invest in this context means buying it to invest in good pictures and make a difference in one's photography.

There is innately nothing wrong with making a profit. If I bought something and after, there is a price hike of 20% by the brand, as with CS Tan's comments, if I sell it at 15 to 20% lower than the price I bought then, many and really many will flood your PM. That's what happened to me when I recently sold off my Canon stuff. I did not know prices have jumped.

Last edited:
frankly... if both buyer and seller agreed to that price without external influence... then it's a good trade... simple as that...

Night86mare sums up my sentiments exactly. Condition of the item is most important. Lowballers may take the opportunuity to bargain after knowing that the item is second hand. It is just an excuse to low ball IMHO. But, again willing buyer, willing seller. Deal reached, everyone is happy. The real integrity issue is when lens seller purposely arranges to meet you at night, tells you that his lens is fungus free, but it is actually infested with fungus when you take it out for closer inspection the next morning. When you try to call the seller, he "zei zhun" already.

er, most people would actually use the 2nd hand item for a while.

for bodies it is not so much a problem, because nowadays release very fast, unlikely that say, a 300d will be second hand if sold now, probably third hand more often than not.

anyways, second/third/fourth hand all the same what, what matters is the condition of the item. if a fourth hand item is in excellent condition, i would pay more for it than a bunged up second hand item, if you get what i mean.

Last edited:
It is not so much as an issue of intergrity, it is a matter of demand and supply.. If i am to buy a 2nd hand lens and later sell it, am i going to say its 3rd hand? then 4th then 5th? a buyer with good judgement and is able to buy an item at a discount who later sells it at a higher price is smart. And i dont see a need to tell how many hands the object have seen cause does it really matter? what matters is the buyer shows discretion and checks the product. A nth hand product might be in a better condition than one which was 2nd hand..
Of course, it would be wrong if it is a used product only to be repackaged and sold as new. Very wrong.. must send to jail.. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.