Interesting... US Air Force photographers use Nikon stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

f55user

Feb 20, 2002
"You Are Here"
Visit site
Downloaded some pictures from the US Air Force site... and realized that they still have EXIF data inside :)

They use mainly D1x, although I've seen one picture using D1H.

:)

According to Ken Rockwell almost all US press photographers use D1 series cameras. Its become the standard. 1D is far behind. Kodak is a joke cos it breaks down often and Contax is way too slow leaving it only for studio photography.

Apparently the photos are taken by their own staff, as the photo credits go to some "Sgts" or "SSgts"... :)

Originally posted by f55user
Downloaded some pictures from the US Air Force site... and realized that they still have EXIF data inside :)

Nikon have been the system of choice for many of the worlds military and civilian forces (Police etc) for many many years.

Singapore's military also uses Nikon. Each navy ship has a F801 and standard + zoom lens on board. All 3 main photographers for Pioneer Magazine use Nikons too (F4s, F5s..)

Originally posted by Minimalis
Singapore's military also uses Nikon. Each navy ship has a F801 and standard + zoom lens on board. All 3 main photographers for Pioneer Magazine use Nikons too (F4s, F5s..)

How come i don't see them during my service in the army? :D

Originally posted by mervlam

i once handled a nikon DSLR during an exercise abt 3 years ago....i am not sure of the model number....but it is a nikon DSLR and i was told that the camera stuff that i was carrying cost $15k...and the camera was kept in a water/bullet proof pelican case

for those who knows my vocation should know what i need to use the camera for rite... :D

after taking photo, i was suppose to use a "rugged tablet PC" (P133 CPU + 32MB ram running WinNT) and compress the picture and then send the picture back to HQ using a "radio set"....sending one pic already take more than 5min and it also depends on signal quality.

due the the size, weight, battery life and difficulty in operating that SLOW handheld PC...it was really impractical to walk around with these equipment and use them in the field. Imagine a rugged tablet PC, pelican case with DSLR, radio set (which is meant to be installed in vehcile) + lots of batteries...and i have to carry them around on top of my SOP equipment....glad that that was the last time i touch that camera....

but now...all these can simply replace with a nokia or Ericsson hp with a build in camera

Originally posted by Wai
i once handled a nikon DSLR during an exercise abt 3 years ago....i am not sure of the model number....but it is a nikon DSLR and i was told that the camera stuff that i was carrying cost $15k...and the camera was kept in a water/bullet proof pelican case

for those who knows my vocation should know what i need to use the camera for rite... :D

after taking photo, i was suppose to use a "rugged tablet PC" (P133 CPU + 32MB ram running WinNT) and compress the picture and then send the picture back to HQ using a "radio set"....sending one pic already take more than 5min and it also depends on signal quality.

due the the size, weight, battery life and difficulty in operating that SLOW handheld PC...it was really impractical to walk around with these equipment and use them in the field. Imagine a rugged tablet PC, pelican case with DSLR, radio set (which is meant to be installed in vehcile) + lots of batteries...and i have to carry them around on top of my SOP equipment....glad that that was the last time i touch that camera....

but now...all these can simply replace with a nokia or Ericsson hp with a build in camera

the cost of all issued equipment is inflated by about 150% so that if anything gets lost/spolit, can replace 1 lost equipment with 2 better ones :)

Originally posted by mervlam

depends on what you did in the army right? :) btw i didn't get to handle any too..but saw a few photogs the the equipment a few times tho

Originally posted by jon33
the cost of all issued equipment is inflated by about 150% so that if anything gets lost/spolit, can replace 1 lost equipment with 2 better ones :)

In the case of the quoted 15K it's about right, no inflation there. Chances are it was a D1 (about 12,000 dollars when first released, a pelican case is anywhere from a few hundred bucks for a nomral one to a cost of several thousand for some of the military cases. Add to that lenses etc and 15K is easy to achieve.

Originally posted by Ian
In the case of the quoted 15K it's about right, no inflation there. Chances are it was a D1 (about 12,000 dollars when first released, a pelican case is anywhere from a few hundred bucks for a nomral one to a cost of several thousand for some of the military cases. Add to that lenses etc and 15K is easy to achieve.

If i remember correctly, there was only ONE lens in the pelican case and it wasn't a tele zoom....should be a standard zoom like 28-70

not sure if it is a consumer lens or pro lens cos I don't know abt Nikon SLR those days

I remember one of the picture was a helicopter that fly pass and the heli was soooo small on the screen....but DSLR is really too big and heavy for *my* purposes....may be a small DC which is smaller and more tactical will do.

Ian > now I am using a pelican case to store the LX90....and that monster cost S$500+....it is so rugged that I can jump on the box and it comes with life time warranty too.

Originally posted by f55user

well the NASA has alreadi sent one(the F3) to the moon b4
wonder the D1 series will be the next
or alreadi had make its trip and came back liao...

:gbounce:

they are expendable...? :bsmilie:

no offence.....

then again I see mixtures during my time.....live happy...obsession aint good.

Originally posted by darr
they are expendable...? :bsmilie:

no offence.....

then again I see mixtures during my time.....live happy...obsession aint good.
Wah!! ;p
If its expendable, worthwhile working 4 them man :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.