Interesting Theory on ERP and Traffic Congestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

I found this somewhere and thought its interesting to share it here:

Question : How does the ERP help relieve traffic congestion?

Answer : By discouraging people from entering congested areas controlled by ERP.

Question : When people are discouraged from going someplace because of ERP, how do they get to where they want to go?

Answer : By using public transport as a first choice!

With me so far? Well, everything works out fine because by taking public transport, road congestion is reduced which is the raison-d'etre for the ERP! Now l...

Question : When more people take public transport because of the ERP, what happens to the number of vehicles used for public transport?

Answer : They become over-crowded so the public transport companies have to spend more to cover the increasing demand.

Last two questions,

Question : When the public transport companies spend more, how do they get more money?

Answer : They raise the price for public transport!

Question : When the price of public transport goes up, how does it impact the ERP?

Answer : It makes the ERP less effective in curbing traffic congestion! So more people start driving again. When more people start driving again, the ERP goes up again. The people start taking public transport again ad infinitum.

There is another glitch here. When people go back to driving, the demand for public transport goes down INSPITE of the new investments coming in. This reduces income to the public transport companies compounding their need to increase prices!

Is what I am saying real? I definitely think so. At the macro economic level, many things can be predicted and in this case, a vicious cycle ASSURES Singaporeans of increases in public transportation costs and ERP charges for a long time to come.

same exact sentiments for this.. and also.. with the cost of living going up so rapidly from a 35 cents bus ride to now 1.78 dollars. how are we gonna save enough to migrate? :think:

When were bus fares 35 cents? That must have been a long time ago.

Back in as early a day as I can remember, bus fares were 25cents for children and 50 cents for adults or thereabout?

same exact sentiments for this.. and also.. with the cost of living going up so rapidly from a 35 cents bus ride to now 1.78 dollars. how are we gonna save enough to migrate? :think:

When were bus fares 35 cents? That must have been a long time ago.

Back in as early a day as I can remember, bus fares were 25cents for children and 50 cents for adults or thereabout?

u sound old...

when i first gotten permission to take bus to school, was already 45cents for aircon, 35 cents for non aircon.

Question : When more people take public transport because of the ERP, what happens to the number of vehicles used for public transport?

Answer : They become over-crowded so the public transport companies have to spend more to cover the increasing demand.
This may not be the case though. Although when more people taking public transport, the public transport have to improve the services, frequency and buy more vehicles or buses (which strangely we don't see it happened in Singapore much..... what a shame :rolleyes:), however Public Transport more riders will generate more income for the company and make the utilisation of Public Transport more cost efficient.

But the ERP on Public Transport is really putting a brake on improving services and cost taxi drivers and bus operators, which is really odd :confused:

I found this somewhere and thought its interesting to share it here:

I personally think the whole argument is pretty senseless and illogical.

get a bicycle and cycle. environmental-friendly and cost-effective. let's make singapore the next country after china and vietnam where bicycles are a common sight on the roads.

get a bicycle and cycle. environmental-friendly and cost-effective. let's make singapore the next country after china and vietnam where bicycles are a common sight on the roads.
would like to do that also, but.... Singapore weather very very hot leh..

Isn't this the intention? ;p Population targetted to increase somemore.........

btw just checking...

whats the minimum price for taking a bus now... and mrt... in case someone ask me i can answer...

Wiith EZLink, I think nobody bothers.. Still need to pay, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.