Interesting... potential converts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5121225#post5121225
This discussion is going on in another subforum.

Really interesting to find that value for money and cost to be key features for buying into the system.

edit : If value for money and cost is a key factor, then why is Pentax missing this potential market and arguably sliding to #4 or #5 for DSLR?

Mod : pls delete this thread if its considered flame bait or trolling; lol

Last edited:
Don't really understand this thread :sweat:

Anyway, what's so interesting about users being concerned about value for money? I thought it's been the aim for 99% of the hobbyists around to make their dollars count.

Don't really understand this thread :sweat:

Anyway, what's so interesting about users being concerned about value for money? I thought it's been the aim for 99% of the hobbyists around to make their dollars count.

If value for money and cost is a key factor, then why is Pentax missing this potential market and arguably sliding to #4 or #5 for DSLR?

If value for money and cost is a key factor, then why is Pentax missing this potential market and arguably sliding to #4 or #5 for DSLR?

One reason, and a big reason, is lack of marketing.. or marketing savvy. :p

How often do we see a Pentax ad? And how often do we see C&N ads?

Maybe Pentax can be more value for money because they don't throw so much money into marketing...

what is this thread about ??

Sorry guys, as I've said, its not meant to be flame bait.

I edited the 1st post to reflect the point of the post.
It does seem that Pentax has slacked to promote itself and to carry across the message to the market that its a very viable (arguably THE BEST in terms of value for money and cost). The result has been many new comers have taken to other brands, viewing them as 'value for money' and not even taking a 2nd look at Pentax.

If the argument was CZ lenses, better AF, better colors, then... ok.... arguably a valid point to buy into another brand. But 'value for money' seems so.... Pentax....

so what's the point about ??

even if the whole community acknowledge that Pentax is the best value system to go with, they will still buy N or C or S or O...

its more than just being the best value for money... there are many reasons why ppl choose other brands or equipment...

dun be so up tight about all these these... we are photographers, or at least i am... why bother so much about what others are using, which position we are in... let the marketing ppl go do their stuff...im more concern whether i got time to shoot this weekend, where to shoot, will the weather be good...should i shoot models :bsmilie: or shoot the sun or flowers...

just enjoy being a Penatx user and our nice community here...:)

Re: Value

Number 2 was originally intended to be the Pentax K20D. The entry I wrote began, "This one rightly belongs lumped in with the cameras under # 3, but for one thing: value. Primarily, the Pentax has a superb sensor that is capable of a very high level of detail and image quality; weather-sealing; peerless lens backwards-compatibility; and in-body SR (shake reduction, a.k.a. image stabilization). We’re not saying the Pentax is a 'better' camera than its able competitors below, necessarily, but those are features said competitors mostly don’t have...and for significantly less money."

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/05/the-story-about-2.html

Value is when there's option? or talking about about 'resale' value?

When I first started, it wasn't for value... Its not about choice cos I don't have enough money for what I wanted in mind.

If its about resale value then I see its pointless in discussing when doing photography is all what's its about... Photography. There are all sorts of collectors out there in all forms of hobbies depriving genuine users from owning a classic & be able to perform with a piece of history.

You name it... from violins to guitars to cameras...etc. Even though painstaking made to produce better or uniquely results, still these are merely tools for expressions. Yet! they are locked behind display cabinets for its owner to proudly boast about their rarity.

And the collectors? Most are not even artistes... I can't really fathom why anyone would want to consider a camera for its resale value when choosing a brand or model?

Because of this wanting-to-buy & selling-at-high mentality, prices of photographic equipment are ridiculously priced from manufacturers but then again... what can we do? we're at their mercy.

I'm making money with my Pentax? Nope... but with the images it made.

Their loss, our gain.

If lesser people know about Pentax, great! As long as it's enough business for Pentax to keep churning out hot item after hot item, i don't mind.

I like to be part of what i see to be a cult brand. :thumbsup:
Plus, this cult brand saves you money, which isn't the case most of the time when you wanna be "part of the club".

I have countless friends who want to purchase their first dslr but will never listen to me when i tell them to get a Pentax. They just go along with the usual "Just go for Canon lah" comments.
Now, i save time trying to explain the specs and advantages. I just tell them to look at my photos, look at their other friend's photos, and tell me which they prefer. Method of photography may be different, but i just want to save my breath trying to explain why our DSLRs aren't any worse than the other brands in the same price range. Take a look at my pics and tell me what i can't do.

Last edited:
I was a through and through Minolta fan for a very, very long time.
I had plenty of Minolta cameras from the SRT-303, XK Motor, XE-1, XD-7, XD-5, XG-9, X-700, X-500, CLE, 7000, 9000, 700si. I also used Nikon and when it was time to junk the two problematic D70 cameras I had, I was an inch of getting the Sony A100. Thank god I didn't and it wasn't because of the price but because the images above ISO 400 were noisy. In hindsight not buying into a Sony system was a blessing because the price for Sony lenses were ridiculously high. Case in point I sold a mint Minolta 100f/2.8 AF Macro for $750. That same excellent lens when rebadged as a Sony is selling for $1299. :bigeyes:
As much as I have an affinity for the Minolta heritage, I won't be buying any Sony camera because they roll out too many models with little feature differentiation (like mobile phones today) and their lenses still cost way too much.

For Pentax, good things are coming out because Hoya has been it's saviour. The old Pentax management is the root cause why the company was lagging behind with unimaginative products that didn't sell well. With the K-7, Hoya has given Pentax the opportunity to regain back some of it's former glory. The problem with the value for money argument is that Pentax still has a large pool of legacy users who still hark back to the bygone days of 35mm film and are resistant to new technology (like video). It is this segment of users that potentially can boost Pentax marketshare if they can overcome their old way of thinking and aversion to pay for new lenses and cameras that Pentax rolls out. To me this segment is unreliable at best and it is good that Pentax is looking at new target segments like the youth and women. That's why the new "Be Interesting" slogan is appropriate. Unfortunately many Pentax traditionalists are anything but that.

Last edited:
Now, they should package a HD Hoya filter into every Pentax lens that is out there ;p

Samsung will be a key contender in the field of digital imaging ............ whoever is up there, will have to thrash it out with Samsung ......... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.