interesting experience with cab driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitrile

May 25, 2004
East, Singapore
Went shooting and took a cab home today. Told him where i wanted to go and after that he initiated a conversation.

First he asked whether i was a photographer and whether i was pro or just a hobbyist. i told him its my hobby and i just started out. after that he asked me what i thought abt my canon 300D and then he started talking about his 10D and collection of lenses at home. turns out, hes a PRO hobbyist. then after that he asked whether i have played with the new 1D MkII before. he said he tried already and its damn fast..blah blah.

damn..what an exciting taxi ride that was. :hung:

hahah!!
must have had the shock of your life right?
bet you were speechless after that...
...i know i would!
:bsmilie:

If there's something I am grateful for, after taking the DSLR plunge 8 months ago, is the huge spectrum of folk I've had the opportunity to meet and chat with. I've met some folk whom you may consider to be in 'blue collar' professions, but are so knowledgeable about photography and so pleasant in their demeanor that I am extremely humbled. So, don't judge a book by its cover and power to the cabbies! :)

Cheers,

eh... come to think of it, i once wanted to be a cabby just for fun...
:bsmilie:

scarly the taxi driver fake u one...maybe he from the dark side u also dunno... :bsmilie:

clive said:
scarly the taxi driver fake u one...maybe he from the dark side u also dunno... :bsmilie:
I saw this dark side things been mention quite often, can anyone enlighten me on what is i about?

dark side refers to nikon
light/white side refers to canon.

coz canon telephoto lenses are painted white, versus nikon telephotos which are black colour., although for some nikkor teles they are available in grey colour.

the canon vs nikon war is well known...with the birth of EOS technology, nikon has been playing catch-up until recently where it has kinda levelled the playing field...so this light/dark side thingy is some kind of humour to describe this situation

Wow...if being a cabby can earn enough for a decent collection of lens, I don't mind being one...not to mention the social experiences that can be collected... :sweat:

clive said:
dark side refers to nikon
light/white side refers to canon.

coz canon telephoto lenses are painted white, versus nikon telephotos which are black colour., although for some nikkor teles they are available in grey colour.

the canon vs nikon war is well known...with the birth of EOS technology, nikon has been playing catch-up until recently where it has kinda levelled the playing field...so this light/dark side thingy is some kind of humour to describe this situation

Minolta belongs to what color? :)
Looking forward for the birth of dynax digital...Hope it can brings the dslr technogy to the next level!

rainman said:
Minolta belongs to what color? :)
Looking forward for the birth of dynax digital...Hope it can brings the dslr technogy to the next level!

Minoltians are the true Light side. Like the jedi, their numbers are getting smaller.

Nitrile said:
Went shooting and took a cab home today. Told him where i wanted to go and after that he initiated a conversation.

First he asked whether i was a photographer and whether i was pro or just a hobbyist. i told him its my hobby and i just started out. after that he asked me what i thought abt my canon 300D and then he started talking about his 10D and collection of lenses at home. turns out, hes a PRO hobbyist. then after that he asked whether i have played with the new 1D MkII before. he said he tried already and its damn fast..blah blah.

I had the same experience a few years back in Hong Kong. The cab driver was not only a serious photography hobbyiest, he was also an audio fanatic! After we reach the destination of my trip we continued to chat for 15 minutes in his cab.....meter already stopped of course!

although I haven't met a cabby that talk serious photography with me, but I have met others whom we chatted healthtily about politics, global terrorism, education system and of coz, how to make the best use of your digicam if you have one :D

SniperD said:
although I haven't met a cabby that talk serious photography with me, but I have met others whom we chatted healthtily about politics, global terrorism, education system and of coz, how to make the best use of your digicam if you have one :D
Ah... I'd met cabbies that speak languages so colourful that I was put to shame by my measly vocabulary of colourful language... :(

Nowadays I choose to sit in the rear passenger seat instead. After a tiring day at work, or a tiring 1/2 day shooting and shooting, the last thing I'll need is a chattering cabbie assaulting my ears with his profound knowledge on domestic and foreign politics, situation in Iraq, how Muslims like to chop heads (an obvious racist cabbie) and racial stereotypes, etc, etc. :sweat:

jsbn said:
Ah... I'd met cabbies that speak languages so colourful that I was put to shame by my measly vocabulary of colourful language... :(

Nowadays I choose to sit in the rear passenger seat instead. After a tiring day at work, or a tiring 1/2 day shooting and shooting, the last thing I'll need is a chattering cabbie assaulting my ears with his profound knowledge on domestic and foreign politics, situation in Iraq, how Muslims like to chop heads (an obvious racist cabbie) and racial stereotypes, etc, etc. :sweat:

wah lau, these kind of cabbies, just ignore them lah! think they are out to provoke u, bro...

nightwolf75 said:
wah lau, these kind of cabbies, just ignore them lah! think they are out to provoke u, bro...
Can't really ignore them when:

1) U're the only passenger
2) It's not nice to tell him to STFU
3) He's the driver... Aged 40+... and a terrible driver that u swear u can drive better blindfolded
4) He can't seem to stop himself and sounds so happy when he's high on the Cs and Bs.
5) U're utterly exhausted and it's pretty tiring to open ur mouth even

Met a cabbie a couple of months back that was cursing everything from the politicians (their policies ARE crap at times I have to admit), his own son at home, NTUC, his run-ins with TP and how he was suspended 5 times, etc, etc...

Horrible experience. I've got a good mind to complain to the company and get him the sack on the next driver that doesn't know how to control his Cs and Bs.... ;( :angry:

Nitrile said:

Nitrile... Mai siao siao....

Some of those cabbies even met Goh Chok Tong or Yeo Ning Hong for coffee! So even if u say dat the cabbie mentioned he got a 1200mm telephoto zoom lens costing $200K sitting at home and he occasionally goes to Africa for animal shoots and helps National Geographic, I wun be surprised oso....

abt 3mths back i was taking cab to go BG with my gf to do some shooting, the cab driver also talked to me abt camera, canon L lens etc, macro lens, what lens i have, what lens he has..look like photography also his hobby..heheheh.... ;)

SniperD said:
Serious? I once also met a cabbie who was a moderator in the forum.

Was it the cabby who was in the "$100 taxi ride" shown on Discovery channel ? He was a real pro for 20+ years. According to him, he was LKY's personal photographer, and he had a album of photos in the truck to prove it. Love his quotes in the show "Are you sure you dont want me to help ? I'm a professional you know"

Status
Not open for further replies.