Interested in shooting BALLROOM/DANCESPORT competion events?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanGetz

Mar 29, 2005
stangetz82.multiply.com
Hi frens! I got a good fren who is a member of Singapore Dancesport team which had recently participated at the SeaGames. Well its a HE, juz in case ur disappointed but with a female dance partner.....there will be lotsa other participants too i believe.

Basically, he juz infd me of some upcoming competition(mar and Aug)and I was thinking of generating some interest here for some shooting opportunities. Could make it as a PLUG also. As well as to learn more bout this sport too. Maybe I could ask him more bout shooting positions and etc.

Do participate in this thead if got any queries or intererst here. Thankyou! :)

Some photos for viewing pleasure:
dance_sports.jpg

kelvin.jpg

Some links below for more info:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=172745 &
http://www.dancesport.org.sg/

QUOTE for one of his thread - "Good News to all whom had missed the IDSF Grand Slam Finals on 4th Dec 2005. The Finals will be Televise on Mediacorp Channel 5 on the 1st day of CNY... a good chance for us to see how's dancesport is conducted and the type of shooting conditions there...cheers!

guess it will be very hard for panny user :( ... panny cam are suffering from serious noise and it will be very hard to get enough speed at those dim condition

ExplorerZ said:
guess it will be very hard for panny user :( ... panny cam are suffering from serious noise and it will be very hard to get enough speed at those dim condition
Yah, but Panna can use external flash. ;)

Sounds interesting, but I will be in KL during the period of that week due to CNY (Go back to hometown mah)

Enjoy guys!

Not to worry.. the ballroom is actually quite brightly lited.. but the yellow lights will be used... and the ladies costumes sparkles... lol

Care to share the actual dates? Will be interested to try it out...

Hope the room is well lit... don think using flash is a good idea as it might affact the performers performance

the couple is from L&C or S&G ??

Not to worry.. we r trained to dance with flashes around... haahaa... some of them are quite cam whore.. lol

JimDavis said:
Care to share the actual dates? Will be interested to try it out...

sure jim, will ask for more details..any more ppl interested? more support plz!:)

dunno if Pana cams can focues fast enough. those dancers really put d cam's AF 2 d test. ;p

StanGetz said:
sure jim, will ask for more details..any more ppl interested? more support plz!:)

I think once the date and so on is confirmed, we can put it up as an outing. I am sure there will be people joining in.

For the note on Pana cam taking this type of event...instead of using aperture priority, you should switch to shutter priority and preset your shutter speed, with external flash, I believe that should be ok...

JimDavis said:
I think once the date and so on is confirmed, we can put it up as an outing. I am sure there will be people joining in.

For the note on Pana cam taking this type of event...instead of using aperture priority, you should switch to shutter priority and preset your shutter speed, with external flash, I believe that should be ok...

When I took my parents at their dancesport competion, I was unable to get near so I got to the second floor for a better view. Snapped a 400mm lens and an external home made flash extension. Set the camera to sync at ambient lighting condition and voila frozen dancers with beautiful ambient settings.
So with Pana, I would also advise adjusting the camera exposure manually to ambient conditions and set the flash exposure separately. In auto, the Pana tends to lock exposure to F/2.8 @1/100 (I think)

hmm.....thanks for the advise....wud try to ask if we can get nearer to the dancefloor... =)

Status
Not open for further replies.