Interchangeable lens cameras for noobs

ocence

Jul 3, 2010
Hi, I'm a noob trying to get an interchangeable lens camera. Currently using Canon A2100. It's serves me pretty well and takes good pictures. But after two years of using it, I find it a bit limiting the pictures I take. Wanted to get an Canon EOS 550D. But I'm afraid that I will seldom use it due to it's bulkiness and probably after a while, the basic lens kit won't satisfy my wants.

I'm looking at the following interchangeable lens cameras:
1. SONY NEX-5A
2. OLYMPUS E-PL1
3. Panasonic Lumix GF1

The sequence is according to which model I prefer the most.

Here are the few questions that I would like to ask:
1. After looking around at Clubsnap Forum, it looks like Sony NEX is the most popular one. Why is it so when Olympus and Lumix can share the same lenses while NEX can only use its own lenses? Because I guess there are more choices for Olympus & Lumix lenses than NEX's?
2. Any recommended websites that I can read more on the 3 cameras or more about interchangeable lens camera?
3. Any Olympus or Lumix users would like to share their experiences on their cameras too?

I also welcome suggestions for other cameras. =)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to CS!

#1: Olympus and Lumix (Panasonic) share the same lens mount as they are part of the 4/3 community, hence they are able to share lenses with each other. Sony NEX series are not part of the community, they use their own mount.

#2: Here's a good website on the PEN EP2 I found:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EP2/EP2A.HTM
It has some decent information on the EP2 compared to the EP1. It may not be relevant but they are both similar.

#3: As an Olympus user, I personally feel that the quality of the lenses are very good. Olympus has also a very good straight-out-of-camera jpeg pictures.
However, one drawback from the use of 4/3s is you'll probably face issues at high ISOs (noise is a problem). Therefore, you'd need to get a fast lens if possible (e.g. 20mm f1.7)

Olympus and Panasonic are m4/3 cameras. The NEX uses a larger APS-C sensor and thus uses a different mount.

The NEX is more "n00b friendly" but the Oly and Panasonic have more manual controls. Up to you which is more important.

Thanks guys for your replies!

Hmm... for picture quality wise, which do you think is better? Using the very basic lens kit. I've tried to search for pictures taken by other people, but they are from different people. So I guess the picture quality will differ as well.

Hmm... for picture quality wise, which do you think is better? Using the very basic lens kit. I've tried to search for pictures taken by other people, but they are from different people. So I guess the picture quality will differ as well.

Hard to say if you just go by photos posted online. I suggest looking at reviews all done by the same site, they should use the same test and give a more accurate result.

The quality of photos will be equally good for all. The difference is small, you just need to be comfortable using it and like it.

I think I'll just go down to the camera shops to try out the cameras. For budget wise, Olympus is the cheapest right??

You can find lots of deals in the Buy/Sell section of this forum.. : )

But you should go to the shops to have a feel of the different cameras. And also try the menu system etc... all very different..