Intending to get a dslr pls advice

drunkenchivas

Nov 9, 2010
Hi all fellow pentaxianz,

i have read up quite a bit on Pentax cameras and have finally decided to invest in a dslr for myself. i would like to enquire what lenses is sufficient for weekly photo taking of maybe sceneries(walking lenses) and also a zoom lenses to take objects (background of MBS) with my subject(gf). although i have read abit but there are alot of stuff that i don really understand. please advice which shops in funan currently carry pentax dslr and alsop if they provide credit payment.

would be willing to learn more from you guys

thank you all in advance

Brgds
Chivas

i have read up quite a bit on Pentax cameras and have finally decided to invest in a dslr for myself. i would like to enquire what lenses is sufficient for weekly photo taking of maybe sceneries(walking lenses) and also a zoom lenses to take objects (background of MBS) with my subject(gf). although i have read abit but there are alot of stuff that i don really understand. please advice which shops in funan currently carry pentax dslr and alsop if they provide credit payment.

would be willing to learn more from you guys

thank you all in advance

Brgds
Chivas

budget?

kit lens is good enough.

Standard answer:

Just get k-r + 18-55mm kit to try out frist, lens decide later
if you can affort get the k-r + 18-55mm + 55-300mm kit because the DAL55-300mm is very worth it in term of price and preformance... some more can try the feel of zoom far far...
reminded to spare some cash for:
Memory card - SDHC card $20-$200 try to get at least a class4 8 GB card, Class 4 is the min write speed and 8 GB card can store 1k+ Jpg or 300+ raw)
Dry cabi - a 30L one about 120 will be enough.
Camara bag - $30-$500++

later good to have:
tripod - $70-$200++ (depend on your need)
extra battery if you want (but one full charge can shoot more than 500, so may not needed)
remote control - $10 online (depend on your need)

Last edited:
nono..

if can afford then...

K5 + whichever lens the other have state above. or better all prime or etc.

nono..

if can afford then...

prime lens the most affordable is 50mmf1.8, if TS can afford, add one more 17mm-35mmF2.8.

I will consider an essential lens for indoor shooting.

especially the 50mmf1.8 having a narrow "depth of field will give a very nice blur background and foreground, is a must have lens for portrait shooting

I'm sure if he was a Canon user he can consider the EF 50mm f1.8 or the EF 16-35mm f2.8L, but Pentax does not have any current lenses with this type of spec lol.

Ok to contribute, its safer to start off with the kit lens first. If you have a bit more budget get the bundle with the 55-300 as it is very good value for money.

Get familiar with the kit lens, bring it out and discover for yourself what you like to shoot. Go read up a bit about photography technique also.

By then you will have a clearer idea of what you need. There is no point advising you to get any additional lens now as a beginner unless you have a lot of budget to spare, or you are very clear in your needs.

Last edited:
nono..

if can afford then...

no no... k5 don't come with lens... so you will let a beginner crack his head which lens is "best"...
so lets make thing easly, just a k-r with kit lens to start frist... hands on and read up more...
so even he is rich, as long as a beginner who don't know what he looking for, the best is k-r with kit lens...
if want upgrade, then k-5...

for those is rich and want to look pro only, also no point going for k-5.. just go for C and N better...
of cos the k-5 silver also can look good
or they have a maid to carry their cam and cam bag... 645D is the way...

prime lens the most affordable is 50mmf1.8, if TS can afford, add one more 17mm-35mmF2.8.

I will consider an essential lens for indoor shooting.

especially the 50mmf1.8 having a narrow "depth of field will give a very nice blur background and foreground, is a must have lens for portrait shooting

Where can i get it??? me also want to get...

no no... k5 don't come with lens... so you will let a beginner crack his head which lens is "best"...
so lets make thing easly, just a k-r with kit lens to start frist... hands on and read up more...
so even he is rich, as long as a beginner who don't know what he looking for, the best is k-r with kit lens...
if want upgrade, then k-5...

for those is rich and want to look pro only, also no point going for k-5.. just go for C and N better...
of cos the k-5 silver also can look good
or they have a maid to carry their cam and cam bag... 645D is the way...

K-5 with lens mentioned above.

you can buy them separately. no reason to say it "doesn't comes with lens

so if a newbie doesn't know how to shoot.. he can only blame is due to user issue and not the camera.

got 2k? go for K-5 + lens

got 800 - 1.3k? go for K-r with kit lens

Last edited:
I am an old newbie... so this is what I think is best :
1. Pentax K-r with dual kit. 18-55mm and 55-300mm
2. Bright 50mm lens - produce shallow dof that most people want the DSLR for
If budget allows, get the (~4XX) FA 50mm f1.4
If budget dun allow, get a Pentax-A f2.0 (<$100) MF lens

Last edited:
IMO i think that the K-r with 18-55mm and 55-300mm will be a good start as mentioned. If you are not comfortable with the 18-55mm since it is a kit lens, try to work out a package with the retailer with the tamron 17-50 hence becoming K-r with tamron 17-50 + 55-300mm.

If you are looking for a affordable prime, the FA50 f1.4 or DA35 f2.4 is good to choose from.

SLRR in funan and OP in SLS are pentax friendly.

K-5 with lens mentioned above.

you can buy them separately. no reason to say it "doesn't comes with lens

so if a newbie doesn't know how to shoot.. he can only blame is due to user issue and not the camera.

got 2k? go for K-5 + lens

got 800 - 1.3k? go for K-r with kit lens

k-5 with DA 18-55mm WR?

ok you win...

TS: ya... k-5 with DA 18-55mm WR

but i don't know why MarineX don't pick the 16-45mm f4 which almost the same price...
also the 18-135mm also not bad....

Last edited:

i have read up quite a bit on Pentax cameras and have finally decided to invest in a dslr for myself. i would like to enquire what lenses is sufficient for weekly photo taking of maybe sceneries(walking lenses) and also a zoom lenses to take objects (background of MBS) with my subject(gf).

first, DSLR model. current entry level is the KR. lets go with that for the purpose of discussion.

lens, the 18-55 kit lens can already do what you want. if budget allows, other had suggested the dual lens kit. its good value for money.

the 18-55 with 55-300 can already tackle 80-90% of your needs. you can decide later on how you want to upgrade. step-by-step is better.

please advice which shops in funan currently carry pentax dslr and alsop if they provide credit payment.

the most popular shops + recent prices can be found here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/846246-Pentax-Price-Guide-2011

most shops accept credit card but they will add a surcharge of a few % for card payment. its not worth it so best is to bring cash and save some money.

IMO i think that the K-r with 18-55mm and 55-300mm will be a good start as mentioned. If you are not comfortable with the 18-55mm since it is a kit lens, try to work out a package with the retailer with the tamron 17-50 hence becoming K-r with tamron 17-50 + 55-300mm.

If you are looking for a affordable prime, the FA50 f1.4 or DA35 f2.4 is good to choose from.

SLRR in funan and OP in SLS are pentax friendly.

OP selling tammy 17-50+55-300mm package at 1590 but I went with SLRR to get body and 35mm only

As per other advices .... my vote go to K-r with dual kits lens as a start .... then upgrade slowly ....

I also recommend getting the KR with the 18-55mm kit lens as a start. Total cost less than $1k so it wun damage your wallet too much. You can then experiment to see what u like to shoot then slowly upgrade from there..:)