Intending to get a DSLR 350D..nEED SOME ADVISE..

Status
Not open for further replies.

doink24

Aug 14, 2003
Bt Batok
Hi all, as above, i am intending to get a Canon 350D..but i haf some questions...As i am upgrading frm a SLR to a digital SLR...would this b a gd cam fer mi to upgrade??

Wad do you guys mean by Kit n body??

Upon buying this cam, wad sort of lenses must i get?? (normal photography n nightshots for newbie)

Shld i get a 2nd hand one or 1st hand??

thxs

yep. love my 350D. small, cute, compact, but most impt, good picture quality. but beware, canon's flash system is abysmal.

kit = lens + body

stick with the kit lens for now. upgrade after you decide what kind of photography you like to do.

perhaps u can wait now for 20D prices to come crashing down like a ton of bricks. rumour has it that 20D will retail for $1500 in time to come when shops want to clear stock.

but u tink its worth to get a DSLR now?? Cause i haben realli master the iso n those stuffs yet in the compact cameras

doink24 said:
but u tink its worth to get a DSLR now?? Cause i haben realli master the iso n those stuffs yet in the compact cameras

nope if you think you are ready for if, if you are why not buy a used or new 20D, the prices are great now!

If your camera provides a variety of manual settings, play around with it first. There will be a time you will find the camera is limited for you, then it is time to upgrade. 350D has been around for some time now. I am pretty sure, new DSLR cameras are in the pipeline, otherwise as Isaiahfortythirtyone said wait for better cameras prices to come tumbling down.

if ur fingers are small... and u just starting out but not sure if u are really seriously going into photography but yet wanted to learn more about DSLR.. i think 350D is a good camera for u to use..upgrade into serious model when u are ready..(mentally n financially.. heh:sweat: )

Compare the prices of both the 350D and the 20D and see what you like. Also, I'd say that you should give Nikon a shot as well. Try the D70 and D70s. Other brands like Olympus, Pentax and the [supposedly gone] Konica Minolta also offer good systems but I've read too little about them to know. Consider what film SLRs you have used in the past and then choose a brand from there since it might be easier to learn the ropes. Or else, read lots of reviews and get a feel for what is available.

Whichever one you take, stick to the kit lens first, which is the lens that comes with your camera. Do lots of shooting in a variety of locations and then decide if you usually want a wider lens or a longer one. If the kit lens has just the right shooting range for you, then upgrade sometime down the track. Don't rush into buying ANY lenses though...sit back, read books, reviews and ask for comments on these forums to see what people have to say. Most photography purchases are expensive and cannot be taken lightly. :sweatsm: And to think that I should know better.

It may seem difficult to upgrade from film to digital, but it is not. Soon you will feel the advantages of digital, especially if you like instant results. However, post-processing images at the computer using Photoshop might take a while to learn. I won't go into an argument between digital and film, because both have their advantages. Both will also take a while to learn. ISO is the same concept as that of film ASA rating.

Shoot lots, and you'll soon know your stuff.

hmm...i noe...now i am using the olympus mju-800...there's a limitation in the shutter speed n aperture..i cant get 2 the level of that as wad mi friend , owner of canon s80, has...the shutter speed is limited...I just hope to haf more hands on lo..especially nightshots..

doink24 said:
hmm...i noe...now i am using the olympus mju-800...there's a limitation in the shutter speed n aperture..i cant get 2 the level of that as wad mi friend , owner of canon s80, has...the shutter speed is limited...I just hope to haf more hands on lo..especially nightshots..

Yes, some P&S digitals will have a limited range of aperture values and shutter speeds. However if shutter speeds are limited, not all is lost. Simply choose a wider aperture. And if the exposure is still too long for your camera, increase your ISO. But that being said, try not to use ISO 200 and above because most compact cameras will produce noise-laden images. Exceptions to this will be the F10, F11, F30...

Belle&Sebastain said:
nope if you think you are ready for if, if you are why not buy a used or new 20D, the prices are great now!

Agreed... get a 20D instead of 350D.. the price is good now.

i would stay away from olympus and pentax

1) olympus: high ISO 800 and 1600 is very noisy. many ppl get a DSLR so that they can utilise high ISOs. but oly is plain bad, even with the new e500 and e330. canon is the cleanest. nikon is worse than canon at ISO 1600 but still reasonable.

2) pentax: cant realy get 2nd hand lenses and stuff.

hrm...dats means to say that fer canon at iso1600, it wld not b as noisy as oly??

doink24 said:
hrm...dats means to say that fer canon at iso1600, it wld not b as noisy as oly??

In short, YES.

hmm...does this camera haf ani like auto, aperture priority n shutter priority, n fully manual?? cause hrd mi frends say normally use shutter can le...dan when to use aperture??

It really depends on user... i normally use aperture priority instead of shutter..

For more details, i leave the PROs.. to explain... heehe..

Get the D350. Cheaper to start with until it limits your skill. Smaller and less intrusive for new photographer to shoot with people around(shy).

so wif the kit lens?? is total of how many lenses?? so fer zoom, i cld just use the optical zoom of the camera instead of the lens zoom??

doink24 said:
hmm...does this camera haf ani like auto, aperture priority n shutter priority, n fully manual?? cause hrd mi frends say normally use shutter can le...dan when to use aperture??

I do not own a DSLR but I am pretty sure the 350D has all the modes you've mentioned.

You use aperture when you want greater depth of field and to be able to control that while not worrying about the shutter speed(ie you're using a tripod).

doink24 said:
so wif the kit lens?? is total of how many lenses?? so fer zoom, i cld just use the optical zoom of the camera instead of the lens zoom??

Dude a DSLR is like an SLR in that if you have NO zoom lens, what you gonna zoom with? Assuming you've got a fixed focal lens of 50mm, how you gonna zoom using the camera's zoom I wonder?

Just like an SLR, a DSLR utilises the lens to perform certain functions and if the lens is non-zoom, you cannot zoom, period.

I am not sure if what you had was an SLR as I see it or a regular point and shoot compact film camera. Please confirm cos if you've got an SLR then surely you'd know that without a zoom lens the camera cannot zoom no?

Status
Not open for further replies.